After changing the clutch on my 1982 mini (with a 1982 1275 metro engine in it), my brother and I cannot get the engine to start; there's only a click from the solenoid.
So far, we have:
- Ensured the battery is charged
- Replaced the solenoid (3 Terminal type)
- Earth straps all checked/cleaned
- Cleaned the battery terminals
- Tried jump starting from my brother's car with the mini battery disconnected (to remove the issue of a very flat battery)
Still just a click!
We tested the starter by removing it from the transfer casing and connecting it to the normal connections (using jump leads) and the starter turns when turning the key in the ignition. We then bench tested on the battery and took a video. Here it is:
Is it goosed? I'd expected the pinion to shoot straight out every time. Seems I'm not getting that every time?
We're both fairly sure we've tried everything we need to before overhauling or replacing the starter...
Any help / comments would be much appreciated!
Edited by Will, 07 June 2018 - 07:47 PM.