#1 RCrossley

RCrossley

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:53 PM

Hi all, 

i recently got my first mini :lol: !!!! a rusty, sketchy and very smelly 1991 studio 2, i have no experience working on cars or engines but equipped with my trusty Hains manual i am ready to learn :proud:. Who needs A-levels anyway eh?

Attached File  IMG_0462.JPG   38.2K   5 downloads

After 2 weeks of driving i decided it was time to stop having fun and give the car a new lease of life. (wasn't so much as decided to stop having fun, as couldn't afford the insurance after wrapping my brothers car round a telephone pole at 5am, a week after buying the mini) :mmkay: .

Attached File  IMG_1575.JPG   103.68K   6 downloads

After a few days of planning and google imaging various areas of the car i began to get a better idea of the styling i wanted to go for (like all noobs i was researching the pretty bits before the useful bits >_< ) i decided to get all new seats, headliner, door cards and possibly dash and carpet (if any money is left at the end)  mainly to get rid of the smell but also because its prettyyyy :shy: .

once i inspected the suspension drive train and brakes i realised that i was one or two rusty bolts away from being thrown off the road so i needed a all new undercarriage all for safety reasons only!! (is what i told mum) 

i had i quick cry about all the rust.

Attached File  IMG_0747.JPG   54.2K   4 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0745.JPG   70.5K   1 downloads

and figured the engine would be fine and needed no work doing at all, it would just need dismantling cleaning and reassembling. (ominous foreshadowing) O_O

Attached File  IMG_0494.JPG   47.32K   1 downloads

and now onto the build (by the way i have no idea what imdoing so any help/pointers are much appreciated) :D

STAGE 1

take up half of the room in your dads garage, jack the car up and take the wheels off :proud:  

Attached File  IMG_0479.JPG   43.72K   3 downloads

STAGE 2

spend hours and hours on one or two rusty bolts that slow up the whole job, :mmkay: swear many times, fill the interior with coolant when you remove the heater, break a cv joint out of impatience, until eventually you have the interior 70% out and the engine precariously strung up by a old rusty hoist borrowed from a friends back garden. :nuke:

Attached File  IMG_0695.JPG   37.56K   3 downloads

STAGE 3 

Discover online parts shopping and drain your savings account :X on 6x10" JBW wheels and yokohama tires, gaz lowered suspension, hilos, adjustable lower arms, mini sport 4 pot callipers, red spot cones, fletcher radiator and hoses and a wide variety of other assorted things that are way too nice for what i am going to be using the car for. =]

Attached File  IMG_0735.JPG   33.03K   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0736.JPG   30.87K   0 downloads 

Attached File  IMG_0735.JPG   33.03K   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0742.JPG   37.61K   0 downloads

STAGE 4 (the most recent)

Split the engine and realise you have no idea what your doing and are rapidly running out of money so start a forum asking for advice  ;D

Attached File  IMG_0701.JPG   32.9K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0713.JPG   19.69K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0739.JPG   31.18K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0700.JPG   38.58K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0698.JPG   28K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0699.JPG   39.82K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0708.JPG   32.93K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0711.JPG   34.27K   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0737.JPG   27.22K   2 downloads

I have a few questions that have built up over the weeks working on the car, if you are kind enough to answer please be really specific because i really am a noob (its taken me 5 months to get this far).

1. what carb have i got, i can't see any part number or serial numbers?

2. what should i be replacing as preventative maintenance while iv got the car in a million pieces (especially in the engine(it ran pretty well before)) 

3. whats the best way to clean all the rust and grime in the head and block?

4. is it worth overhauling the diff and gearbox too? (it worked fine before only second was a bit sketchy) 

5.how much is overhauling the block going to cost me roughly and what do i defo need to replace.

6.do i need to get the block and head resurfaced.

7.whats the best action to take with regards to the wiring loom (its pretty mashed up)

8.as you can see from the photos a few of my lifters have small chips in them (is that a problem, if so whats the fix)

9.what arches should i go for?

10.any cheap performance upgrades i can get ?

many thanks to anyone reading this, any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

#2 minifreek1

minifreek1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.O.C

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:53 AM

Whats the reasoning behind pulling the engine apart...?

You don't need to have the head or block skimmed as they are cast iron and don't tend to warp like alloy heads do.

If you are a noob, taking the engine apart was the worst you could do if it ran fine beforehand.... but you done it now, and its yours anyway LOL

To clean the block and head, Iv used Cillit bang and oven cleaner before now to remove all the years of grime and oil and road ******* that tends to build up over time. You will need to leave the products to soak for a while but use plenty of it and then pressure wash and scrub until you start to bleed...

The wiring loom is easy enough to replace,  but label everything and dont put it anywhere near anything that might look like its wet or oily or greasy as the label will dissapear...

Check for rust in all the usual places, especially the floors and around sills and subframe mounting points taking a lot of patience especially at the rear subframe fixing points and rear subframe. The front subframe very very rarely rust as they are always covered in oil so dont worry to much about it, just look for stress cracks instead...

Good luck with putting it back together, we all have to start somewhere...

#3 RCrossley

RCrossley

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 01:59 PM

Whats the reasoning behind pulling the engine apart...?

You don't need to have the head or block skimmed as they are cast iron and don't tend to warp like alloy heads do.

If you are a noob, taking the engine apart was the worst you could do if it ran fine beforehand.... but you done it now, and its yours anyway LOL

To clean the block and head, Iv used Cillit bang and oven cleaner before now to remove all the years of grime and oil and road ******* that tends to build up over time. You will need to leave the products to soak for a while but use plenty of it and then pressure wash and scrub until you start to bleed...

The wiring loom is easy enough to replace,  but label everything and dont put it anywhere near anything that might look like its wet or oily or greasy as the label will dissapear...

Check for rust in all the usual places, especially the floors and around sills and subframe mounting points taking a lot of patience especially at the rear subframe fixing points and rear subframe. The front subframe very very rarely rust as they are always covered in oil so dont worry to much about it, just look for stress cracks instead...

Good luck with putting it back together, we all have to start somewhere...

thanks for the reply :)

I took the engine apart because the guy who owned it before me really really didn't know what he was doing, the amount of pidgin **** welds, mismatched, rounded, and usually missing bolts made me want to take the car to a base point that i am going to be confident it won't explode on me costing way more than a ''quick'' rebuild. also i'm really keen to learn and get into the mini community so i figured the best way to learn, is do ;)

thanks for the help :) 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: roundnose

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users