Photo
- - - - -

Wheel Bearing Collapses After 10 Months Minimal Use.

brakes suspension

Best Answer M700FGT , 05 March 2019 - 09:56 PM

Hi all,

As a quick update and probably a finish for this topic, the Mini is fixed and back on the road.

The wheel bearing didn't fail through a manufacturing fault, it failed as it was incorrectly fitted by the previous garage. Im not as technical as some of you, but i can tell you the castle nut was very loose, but they really struggled to get the old bearing off.

At the same time as the bearing failed, the front right calliper completely seized due to age and poor maintenance. These have now been replaced with Mini Sport 4 pots. Not really had time to bed them in properly.

The second time i drove it after the fix there was a horrible grinding noise. The noise went and i took it back to the garage just to double check. They couldn't find any fault and i took it for a road test with one of their engineers. We think it might have just been a stone as i had driven on some gravel. 

If I'm completely honest, i think its going to take a while to build my confidence up again driving this car. Every time i hear a noise now i think the car is going to pull me into oncoming traffic again. Hopefully this feeling goes away, as i do love my Mini. 

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#31 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 22 January 2019 - 08:59 AM

I’ve had many bearings from BHK in Premier packaging - never had a problem or any suspicion of them being ‘fake’.

Whilst I’m far from the biggest fan of MiniSport, I think they do come in for some flak they don’t always deserve. I think some posters should be a little more careful with supplier bashing - it can be borderline liabellous.

I think that we should all be very grateful that someone provides us with such a bounty of after market parts, and not grumble at some of the occasional imperfections.

#32 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,935 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 22 January 2019 - 11:20 AM

I have often wondered why there is a spacer between the two roller bearings in a Mini hub.  is it a "left over" because one is needed when ball-races are used ?

On prewar front stub axles there was a substantial inner roller-race and a smaller outer one.  The nut holding it all together was tightened until there was no play, and then backed off sufficiently to insert a split pin.   No spacer between the bearings !

One way to put this is these wheel bearings work back to front to 'conventional' wheel bearings.

On a 'conventional' set it, the axle is 'dead' and the hub spins around it, so the pre-load (or play) can easily be set with the nut.

On all FWD Hubs, this is reversed. The Axle is 'live' and the Hub is 'dead'. Additionally, the Live Axle also has to lock to it the Drive Flange and hold it in tight alignment, so the nut here, must be done tight. If there was no spacer, the bearing would simply be overloaded and locked.

Thank you.  One less thing to ponder about in the bath.

ahhh but the rear?

Yeah, I have no answer on that only to make them stuff up proof.

In fact, thinking more about this, if anything, the way the Mini is done, with a spacer here, that pre-sets the pre-load, as set by the bearing manufacturer's is a better way of doing business, rather than have no spacer and rely on mechanics, some of who would do it in accordance with the recommendations and others who think they know better.

Many modern cars actually now use Hub Units in which, you don't even see the bearing or grease it. These Hub Units are in theory like our wheel bearing assemblies, only taken to the ext level or 2.

#33 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,896 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 22 January 2019 - 12:08 PM

Whilst I’m far from the biggest fan of MiniSport, I think they do come in for some flak they don’t always deserve. I think some posters should be a little more careful with supplier bashing - it can be borderline liabellous.

Do you mean libelous?

#34 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,896 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 22 January 2019 - 12:10 PM

I’ve had many bearings from BHK in Premier packaging - never had a problem or any suspicion of them being ‘fake’.

I think that we should all be very grateful that someone provides us with such a bounty of after market parts, and not grumble at some of the occasional imperfections.

We are, and we're thankful minispares give us a discount too.

#35 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,935 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 22 January 2019 - 06:59 PM

Graeme has a point and one we all should heed.

Some suppliers are better than others. We all have our favourites and we all have those we walk past.

#36 M700FGT

M700FGT

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 23 January 2019 - 08:08 PM

Personally I've got nothing against them. I will use anyone who has the parts I need. If I'm honest I do prefer the Mini Sport website as I think its a bit clearer and nicer looking.

As for an update - I phoned Mini Sport and asked them why they sell Timken bearings in a BRT box if they are a Timken distributer. It was a different guy from last time, who confirmed that are NOT a Timken distributer and buy their TimKen bearings through BRT.

Not saying they are a bad supplier in any way, but im annoyed at the first guy. Considering I told him that I nearly had an accident due to a failed bearing and was concerned about buying a fake. 

Anyway, its genuine and has all the correct instructions etc, so I just need to get it fitted. Im arranging for a different garage this time, Just encase it was fitted incorrectly. 

#37 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 06:05 PM

We are, and we're thankful minispares give us a discount too.
Supplying fake bearings is liabellous too.

#38 M700FGT

M700FGT

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 25 February 2019 - 09:36 PM

Just a quick update -Should be picking up the Mini tomorrow!

Ive not seen or driven it yet, but I've been told that the bearing was fitted very badly which caused the problem. Its took them along time to get the old one off so god knows what the previous garage had done. Can wait to drive it again

Attached Files

#39 croc7

croc7

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 07:12 PM

I went to the link in Spider's post and now am confused by Timken's tech advice regarding packing the bearing with grease.  It says to pack the bearing with grease from the outer side until grease comes out of the inner side of the bearing.  Then in a note, says to pack the bearing housing 1/3 to 1/2 full.  If the bearing is packed until grease comes out of the inner side, wouldn't that be considered full?? And how would one know the '1/3 to 1/2 full' condition that is referred to in the note?

Edited by croc7, 01 March 2019 - 07:25 PM.

#40 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 01 March 2019 - 09:10 PM

The housing is not the bearing.

#41 croc7

croc7

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 11:19 PM

The housing is not the bearing.

OK, then for the front tapered bearing, the term 'housing' wouldn't apply?  By way of explanation, I've packed wheel bearings the same way, as shown in the Timken tech article, for years without a lick of trouble.  The term 'housing' threw me off.

#42 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 02 March 2019 - 12:42 AM

the housing it the carrier and the bits between the seals. you dont want to fill that with grease.

#43 croc7

croc7

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 02:54 AM

People would actually do that???

#44 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 05:06 AM

People would actually do that???

Oh yes, one of the main reasons for bearing failure on any car or trailer.

#45 Earwax

Earwax

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 08:35 AM

Ask the fitting garage whether the hubs were in good condition for the refit.  If they had a hard time pressing out the shells then sometimes some damage has occurred. Just need to be confident that the new bearings went in all the way and are square and well held. I am reasonably confident that the garage would tell you if they had any doubts, but  just to be certain..

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brakes, suspension

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users