I recently replaced the lower radiator hose on my 1986 Mini 998cc and now the engine won't start!
I have been able to get the car running if while a helper mans the ignition switch I place the centre HT lead of the distributor cap near it's socket and arc into the cap. See video:
As soon as you place the lead into the the distributor cap the engine dies.
It's been fitted with an electronic ignition, red wire to white ignition wire, black to coil negative.
Coil reads 1.5Ohms between + and -.
With ignition on, if I place a multimeter across - and + of the coil it reads 5.1V, between + and engine body it's 6.5V.
I've tried connecting a 12v supply to the + of the coil but no change. The car cranks without any coughing.
It's getting fuel and air. New plugs and battery fitted. I've mixed and matched the leads I have to see if any of those are at fault but to no avail.
The distributor cap is new. The old one had some damage to the leading edge of each post. Symptoms remain.
I tried disconnecting the HT lead from the distributor cap as previous checks on spark at the plugs, and spark at the plug HT lead had come back positive.
20190204_142435 smaller.jpg 90.26K 2 downloads
I'd like to find out what's happening before replacing parts until the problem goes away.
Friends have suggested "It must be a ground fault!" except I fail to see where or how the grounding is ocurring.