#1 R_K

R_K

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 08:54 PM

Hello,

I'm new to the forum so if I'm posting this in the wrong place let me know.

I have a 1997 Cooper MPI I bought from an importer last April. I want to change the dials over to miles instead of kilometers and am changing the complete dash to split out the different gauges with separate Smiths Dials.

Could someone tell me if there's a 'correct' way to change the dials i.e. if I buy a new speedo do I somehow have to up the mileage on it so it reflects the km's already done on the car? Are there any legalities to it? Also does anyone know if the connectors in the back of MPI dials fit directly to the back of Smiths Dials?

I have done some googling and digging on here to try and find the answers but cant find anything definitive. Would rather know before I take the dash off! :-)

Any help or pointers to previous discussions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

R

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,898 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 07 February 2020 - 09:17 AM

You do not have to do anything. Just make a note of what the reading was and what the new reading is for your info.

#3 Squipper

Squipper

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 01:59 PM

Hi

Last year I bought a JDM Classic Cooper SPI ( are you sure yours is a MPI? especially is bought from Japan) I was going to leave it as a KPH dial as thought it would be more genuine and honest, but then spotted a MPH dial, Brand new "old stock" with no miles and got and am fitting it.  I will keep the old KPH so if ever sell the car it can go with it to show the genuine milage and history.  If you look on You Tube there are video's showing Classic Mini speedo changes, good info okie :D

Fluf

#4 Pops_Guild

Pops_Guild

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 02:43 PM

I have a 97 JDM Cooper (also SPI) and I swapped over the speedo face plate from km/h to a UK mph one as it was annoying me not knowing the speed :)

That's all you have to do if you want to see your speed in mph.

I've kept the odometer in km, which is 100% fine to do. The mini's MOT history is mostly recorded in km, only where they assumed it was in miles is it recorded in miles, MOT stations happily record in km if that's what the car is measured in. 

If you want to replace the whole thing so that your odometer reads in miles then you'll need to swap the whole thing but be mindful that the donor dials might not be calibrated to your wheels/speedo drives.  

#5 R_K

R_K

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 08:47 PM

Thanks all for your responses - all were helpful. It is definitely an MPI. I bought it with the intention of doing a Turin run and then selling it but having done the run last year, have grown too attached to it! :-)

I'll start looking for the new dials.

Thanks again,

R.

#6 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,898 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 08:57 PM

Or drop stickyfingers an email and they can print out new custom faces for you with whatever you want on them.

Thanks all for your responses - all were helpful. It is definitely an MPI. I bought it with the intention of doing a Turin run and then selling it but having done the run last year, have grown too attached to it! :-)

I'll start looking for the new dials.

Thanks again,

R.

#7 Squipper

Squipper

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 10:14 PM

Hi

Not sure if this daft question or not.  I have a JDM Mini with a KPH speedo, have managed to get hold of a complete NOS MPH speedo and trip.  Question is if this fitted will it then trip in miles? Or is it something engine end that makes it trip in miles and the MPH speedo and trip will only show speed?

cheers 

Fluf

#8 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,898 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 11:40 PM

Hi

Not sure if this daft question or not.  I have a JDM Mini with a KPH speedo, have managed to get hold of a complete NOS MPH speedo and trip.  Question is if this fitted will it then trip in miles? Or is it something engine end that makes it trip in miles and the MPH speedo and trip will only show speed?

cheers 

Fluf

All in the unit. But it needs to have the same TPI as the original to give the same accuracy.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users