#1 Glassman Dan

Glassman Dan

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Local Club: Milton Keynes

Posted 09 May 2020 - 05:03 PM

Hi, I've got a 1990 Cooper RSP. Had it just over a year now. Before winter it had a pressure of 65-70psi at speed and 40 at tick over. Its been sat over winter under a cover but started every now and then up to temp. With the virus its not gone out much but took it for a run a week or so ago and this afternoon and the pressure won't go over 40, even at cold and is about 20ish when hot at idle. Bit worried about it. There is no obvious leak anywhere and no blue smoke. Read that it may be the pressure relief valve.

#2 pusb

pusb

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 06:44 PM

Have you changed the oil since before winter? Just thinking you may have put the wrong grade in by accident? 

#3 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 06:46 PM

Pull the relief valve spring and shuttle out, check for scoring on the outside, clean/ polish the outer cylindrical face with wet& dry and wd40, give the relive valve hole a blast with wd40 to blast any bits out, space and see what it does

#4 Glassman Dan

Glassman Dan

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Local Club: Milton Keynes

Posted 09 May 2020 - 08:12 PM

No, I haven't changed the oil yet, it is a job to do soon. I haven't done that many miles and the oil is nice and clear and I've used 20w50 for top ups. I'll check and clean the relief valve. Hopefully thats all it is as it runs mint. Thanks

#5 minidizzy

minidizzy

Super Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC, Mini Cooper Register

Posted 09 May 2020 - 11:30 PM

This is not an answer to your question but is your RSP on the RSP Cooper Register? There are quite a few RSP owners who are happy to exchange information and experience.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users