zcenk

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club TURKIYE

Posted 26 May 2020 - 03:12 PM

Hello;

Anybody has any experience about "Mini Sport Stage 3 Tuning Kit - 1275 SPi - 85bhp"? Is there anyone who can put this kit on their SPI and give their opinions?

Thanks;

#2 Lord Oversill

Lord Oversill

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 10:57 AM

Hi,

I have a Minisport “John Cooper Spi” / Stage2/3? ( not sure if 3 is a cam change or not?)  Kit. It’s all very nicely engineered and branded..if that’s important to you? 
However, to be honest in retrospect I think now I would have sourced the individual components from alternative sources. 
Especially ,now I have discount at Minispares through the Forum.

I think the branding all comes at premium cost, whilst it is nice to have a “kit” from a  “ reputable? “ source. I am certain that careful selection of the the parts you need to make up the Stage3 spec will match, if not better the Minisport option at a lesser expense.

I have a flywheel reading at 82/84 Bhp. Mid range drivability has significantly improved.

#3 Alice Dooper

Alice Dooper

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Local Club: Minis in Northern Ireland

Posted 01 June 2020 - 09:59 AM

We’ve a Cooper S Works kit on our MPI with a larger alloy throttle body.  Your right, it is all nicely branded and put together, lots of extra bits like  A key ring and wheel centres etc.... there’s no doubt you could source the main components a fair bit cheaper but then there’s the proper conversion plate, certificate and you’ve now a real Cooper S.

it is a much nicer car to drive.  Low down it isn’t much more different but plenty of mid range torque and she breaths a lot nicer and smoother at the top end.  Power band is a lot wider.   It is with an MPI higher gearing so she cruises along nicely and when you keep the revs up speeds along very enjoyably.  A good Grand Tourer type drive and S we put plenty of long run miles on it suits us well.

We added a pressure gauge to the fuel pressure regulator and were able to find the sweet spots for drive ability and a nic3 pressure for ancient an emissions test.  About the only tuning you can do with an MPI.

In short, we love the kit but mini sport do their own MPI stage 3 style kit that’s way cheaper and probably near enough the same.

Hi,

I have a Minisport “John Cooper Spi” / Stage2/3? ( not sure if 3 is a cam change or not?)  Kit. It’s all very nicely engineered and branded..if that’s important to you? 
However, to be honest in retrospect I think now I would have sourced the individual components from alternative sources. 
Especially ,now I have discount at Minispares through the Forum.

I think the branding all comes at premium cost, whilst it is nice to have a “kit” from a  “ reputable? “ source. I am certain that careful selection of the the parts you need to make up the Stage3 spec will match, if not better the Minisport option at a lesser expense.

I have a flywheel reading at 82/84 Bhp. Mid range drivability has significantly improved.

#4 Tommymo

Tommymo

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 May 2022 - 05:06 PM

This is really helpul. I am debating whether to go for the minisport cooper s conversion but from your review it sounds worth it. Mine would be on a Cooper sport 500 so it might be more but I like the idea of the kit and authenticity.... or as close as you can get.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users