FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:03 PM

Missed this, sorry.
Zony are you sure you have the right pod/model selected ?
The MPi has the external IAC valve which is like a kind of plunger in a plastic body, agree with Rob Mac sounds like the valve is U/S and you would be better trying another / cleaning it with carb cleaner.
Plenty info on these on the mg rover forums especially for MGF cars.

Toplessmini did you get your issue resolved??

FS

Edited by FlyingScot, 03 September 2013 - 10:04 PM.

#107 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:29 PM

Right an update based on some more work done....

Posting this up as a pulling together and update of Sykes Pickavant ACR (Advanced Code Reader) equipment, pods and leads to help those who are looking for their own set up.

I am quoting SP part numbers which in some cases they added 00 to the end of eg. Rover (1) pod was 300565 became 30056500

Handsets

30055000 ACR and ACR 2, 2 line handset which came originally in grey (ACR) and then blue ACR 2. (It is best to assume that grey pods go with grey handsets and blue with blue. You can in some cases fit blue pods on grey handsets, but lengths are different)
30255400 ACR 4, 4 line handset which came originally in blue then transparent blue. Transparent are the latest type.

Pods can be used with ACR 2 and ACR 4 handsets
300564 Original Rover (1) E.R.I.C.s and SPi pod suitable for SPi Mini grey pod.
30056500 Rover (1) pod for SPi Mini as above but fits the later ACR2 and ACR4.
300566 Original Rover (2) MPi pod this ISN'T for MPi Minis, but rather for other MPI Rovers but will read SPi data.
30056700 Rover (2) pod as above again the same as the more usual blue (light or dark)
30350800 Rover/ MG V3 pod does both Rover (1) and Rover (2) applications plus MPi Mini except airbag on those models which have it. This is generally the one to have and is the first of the Rover Pods which can do an Mini MPi.
30350300 Quickcode pod can be used with Mini SPi but only reads and clears codes. There is no component or actuator functionality.
30360100 Quickcode (later model) can be used with Mini SPi but likely only to be able to read and clear codes.

Pods which need later ACR 4 handsets

30353200 Rover V4 covers SPi and MPi including airbag.
30358500 Rover V5 as above but later version and includes other Rover Group Products.
30352800 MAP pod. This is a multi vehicle pod with updates written into the Pod from CD updates. Can do SPi and MPi cars. No longer supported and replaced by unit below. Take care not to buy a "blank" one as if they are new old stock and not activated they cannot be activated since 2007. Also if you traded up to the unit below this pod was returned to the user blank and the circuit board reversed (upside down).
30354900 G2 Pod also known as MAP or iMAP this contains a huge library of vehicles on SD card inc SPi and MPi Minis. This is now no longer updated and the SPi unit is now the focus.
MAP and iMAP systems have the same functionality as Rover V4 pods, and if you have the iKeys pod AND PIN you can add extra key fobs and code the 5AS alarm box to the ECU (which will be a problem to come in the future)

Leads

30211600 3 pin Rover lead connects to black plugged white socket next to brake master cylinder (green one is for alarm)
30214000 16 pin OBD type for MPi cars and Japanese SPi models. This is the official Rover lead but there are some reports of non working due to Rovers wiring not compliant with system Ground and chassis ground at pins 4 & 5 (SP put a diode in which you can short out to try and establish connection). This lead has a white plug. Rare as rocking horse do dah and better to use the one below in most cases as it is cheap and easily available (not sure however it can/will do the airbag)
30212400 So called universal OBD lead as it was used for VAG/GM/PSA group J1962. Black plug.
30214600 Later more sophisticated Universal lead also known as ISO9141 lead. Expensive! List is £175

Make sure when using the units you have good connections to the right port and the ignition is on.
The functionality varies between set ups and cars e.g. On Rover (1) and later pods for SPi on early model SPi you can do an engine tune up, set idle speed and CO however later (so called closed circuit with active catalyst) you cannot but you can set up the throttle cable. On Rover V3 you can calibrate the stepper motor on both SPi and MPi systems.

Of course buying or borrowing this type of kit is only part of the equation, you need to know what you are looking at when presented with the data. It can help you solve some niggles at minimum cost.
My own SPi used to cut out when warmed up, when I checked the engine never got up to correct temperature (new thermostat) and the MAP sensor reading didn't change when revved (split vacuum pipes and blocked fuel trap).

This information is gleaned from various places (including lots on TMF in different places) my own experience with using lots of the SP kit and feedback from others. Use at your own risk folks!

FS

Edited: compatibility of grey and blue pods. Status of MAP, iMAP and iKEYS functionality with regard to Minis. Use of iKEYS with PIN to code units 5AS (Lucas/TRW immobiliser/alarm BCU). Confirmation updates to G2 have ceased. All now officially on run out.

Edited by FlyingScot, 13 September 2013 - 01:55 PM.

#108 minidizzy

minidizzy

Super Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC, Mini Cooper Register

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:35 PM

Excellent work. This is a very useful guide.

#109 tmsmini

tmsmini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • Local Club: MOASF

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:41 PM

Yes, thank you for keeping this current

Terry

#110 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:22 PM

Your welcome guys :D Still trying to clarify the missing bits on 1) MPi - which leads really work i.e what other models leads can you use as only a few pins are used 2) Stepper motor set up for SPi and MPi what effect does the control have 3) coding of key fobs to alarm and matching ECUs inc what does Rover V5 do over Rover V4; does it code 5AS or not? iKEYs does but even rarer (expensive)
I have worked out the colours and ACR plug connections for all SP leads, so just need to work out car pins to match. Can use Datacheck leads to connect SP ACR units knowing this :lol: Which makes life easier....

I am slowly acquiring NOS components to I can answer about values of components. But what else do we need to know?
SP Diagnostics team very helpful but a lot of the knowledge is lost... Lets keep pushing on.

FS

#111 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:55 AM

Okay another part of the picture.....this time about the alarm module 5AS made by Lucas (later TRW)
iKEYs can be used to code key fobs to the 5AS in other Rover models but what about the mini?
Not having a current MPi to test I gave myself an extra hurdle as the SPi doesn't have the 16 diagnostic socket to connect the ISO 30214600 lead needed for iKEYs......
As most people know there is a green 3 pin connector next to the ECU connection (white)...
Connecting the standard 30211600 lead to the ACR4 and putting into iKEYs mode gives - an error no comms faulty components etc
Back to first principles....

Worked out which pins on the 16 pin connector are needed to programme the 5AS (not the same as the MEMs as it happens). The Rover lead 30214000 does not have all the pins connected nor the universal black EOBD one. This needs the expensive ISO lead.
Tracked the pins from the 5AS to the Green 3 pin AMP connector up by the bulkhead in an SPi.
Several chopped leads and some soldering later I made a lead that takes the 3 pins from the green connector plus a 12V positive (croc clip on starter motor) into a EOBD lead socket end. Connected up the ISO lead to this and put the ACR into iKEYs programming mode.....

Can read the 5AS, code used or new key fobs (8 presses) read EKA (no door lock switch on mini but might be useful in future) code 5AS units to the engine ECU (match dissimilar components).
BINGO!

FS

#112 IainStallard

IainStallard

I am the first status holder 2014.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts
  • Local Club: Box Hill Mini Club, CCMOC

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:09 AM

Okay another part of the picture.....this time about the alarm module 5AS made by Lucas (later TRW)
iKEYs can be used to code key fobs to the 5AS in other Rover models but what about the mini?
Not having a current MPi to test I gave myself an extra hurdle as the SPi doesn't have the 16 diagnostic socket to connect the ISO 30214600 lead needed for iKEYs......
As most people know there is a green 3 pin connector next to the ECU connection (white)...
Connecting the standard 30211600 lead to the ACR4 and putting into iKEYs mode gives - an error no comms faulty components etc
Back to first principles....
Worked out which pins on the 16 pin connector are needed to programme the 5AS (not the same as the MEMs as it happens). The Rover lead 30214000 does not have all the pins connected nor the universal black EOBD one. This needs the expensive ISO lead.
Tracked the pins from the 5AS to the Green 3 pin AMP connector up by the bulkhead in an SPi.
Several chopped leads and some soldering later I made a lead that takes the 3 pins from the green connector plus a 12V positive (croc clip on starter motor) into a EOBD lead socket end. Connected up the ISO lead to this and put the ACR into iKEYs programming mode.....
Can read the 5AS, code used or new key fobs (8 presses) read EKA (no door lock switch on mini but might be useful in future) code 5AS units to the engine ECU (match dissimilar components).
BINGO!
FS

I wish you were closer, I'd pay you to programme me more fobs! Feel a bit vulnerable with just one :/

#113 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:52 AM

Hi Iain , my motivation for doing this work was exactly this. Over time components will fail and with the immobiliser being nigh on impossible to bypass I wanted to be sure I could mix and match 2nd hand parts especially key fobs, 5AS and ECU units.
You can read lots of part info on some sites about just needs 1 wire shorted out etc, I can tell you this isn't true. The 5AS sends a data block on a pulsed stream to the ECU and different ECU different code.... Likewise the key fobs themselves have a fixed code,it is the 5AS that learns their code not the other way around.
There are "remote ways" to code key fobs you can send your 5AS and some key fobs to several companies who have a bench set up or other systems to allow them to code these.

FS

#114 smudger"s"works

smudger"s"works

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Local Club: none yet but a member of BMC

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:15 PM

Will the ACR PODS sort out the stepper motor, if yes what ones. ive just bought a ACR with pods 1+2 or will i need V3 

I have a 94 Cooper Spi

#115 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:49 AM

You can check the stepper motor with Rover Pod 1, but for adjustment you need Rover Pod V3 30350800 or later or the MAP or G2 pod.
V3 is the latest you can use with the 2 line ACR 2, for later pods you need the 4 line ACR 4.

FS

#116 smudger"s"works

smudger"s"works

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Local Club: none yet but a member of BMC

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:09 AM

Cheers that's much appreciated.

#117 joecefnhedog

joecefnhedog

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:20 PM

Whats the best code reader for a 1992 spi 1.3i cooper? preferably under 100 pound. Would a crypton act work?

#118 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:25 PM

The main choices are Sykes Pickavant ACR system or Crypton ACT (this can also be badged as Mac tools).
The SP ACR is more common and the leads and pods can still be bought new from some dealers (the system is discontinued). The Crypton systems need to be bought will all the bits needed as they seldom come up as individual parts.
AFAIK ACT 1 or 2 unit plus ASC3 card and ASA003 cable harness. There was also a Crypton Checkmate which could do the same sort of stuff.
Have a search on here as there are a few posts about what each system and versions of software can do.
I am a fan of the SP ACR system but that's just because I chose it way back when.

FS

#119 joecefnhedog

joecefnhedog

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:25 PM

http://www.ebay.co.u...W-/310246510038

Would this work with a spi mini? And is that everything included or is it just the cable, as it seems quite cheap.

Thanks Joe

#120 ukcooper

ukcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:40 PM

That's just the pod you need, you would also need.

Acr2 or acr4 the blue thing and that cable as well. Note this a 2 line reader .

bbbbbbbbbbb.jpg

lead end looks like this part number 302116 - ROVER 3 PIN mini

aaaaaaa.jpg

Note the visual difference between a 2 line and a 4 line acr is the black boarder around the screen.

4 line reader

bfbb_1.jpg

Edited by ukcooper, 30 January 2014 - 07:49 PM.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users