171 replies to this topic

#91 kommander

kommander

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:28 PM

The Rover 3 pod is recommended for both SPi and MPi minis.

I can read codes, clear faults and do the actuator tests!

Edited by FlyingScot, 17 April 2014 - 10:56 PM.

#92 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:28 AM

AFAIK the Rover V3 was designed for the ACR 4, it does work with the ACR 2 model but with only 2 lines you have to swap what it is displaying around this could be why you cannot see the component live data. It us there you just gave to swap lines around.

Edited by FlyingScot, 23 June 2014 - 07:21 PM.
Clarity

#93 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:36 AM

Posting this up as a pulling together and update of Sykes Pickavant ACR (Advanced Code Reader) equipment, pods and leads to help those who are looking for their own set up.

I am quoting SP part numbers which in some cases they added 00 to the end of eg. Rover (1) pod was 300565 became 30056500

Handsets

30055000 ACR and ACR 2, 2 line handset which came originally in grey (ACR) and then blue ACR 2.
30255400 ACR 4, 4 line handset which came originally in blue then transparent blue

Pods can be used with ACR 2 and ACR 4 handsets
300564 Original Rover (1) E.R.I.C.s and SPi pod suitable for SPi Mini grey pod.
30056500 Rover (1) pod for SPi Mini as above but fits the later ACR2 and ACR4.
300566 Original Rover (2) MPi pod this ISN'T for MPi Minis, but rather for other Rovers but will read SPi
30056700 Rover (2) pod as above again the s the more usual blue (light or dark)
30350800 Rover/ MG V3 pod does both Rover (1) and Rover (2) applications plus MPi Mini except airbag on those models which have it.
30350300 Quickcode pod can be used with Mini SPi but only reads and clears codes. There is no component or actuator functionality.
30360100 Quickcode (later model) can be used with Mini SPi but likely only to be able to read and clear codes.

Pods which need later ACR 4 handsets

30353200 Rover V4 covers SPi and MPi including airbag (SP diagnostics quote that the 30214600 ISO lead has some trouble with this pod - not confirmed but posted by an admin on their support site).
30358500 Rover V5 as above but later version
30352800 MAP pod. This is a multi vehicle pod with updates written into the Pod from CD updates. Can do SPi and MPi cars. No longer supported and replaced by unit below.
30354900 G2 Pod also known as MAP or iMAP this contains a huge library of vehicles on SD card inc SPi and MPi Minis. Can be updated still via the Internet (and a paid subscription to SP diagnostics) but is now end of line as the effort is on new stuff.

Leads

30211600 3 pin Rover lead connects to black plug next to brake master cylinder (green one is for alarm)
30214000 16 pin OBD type for MPi cars and Japanese SPi models. This is the official Rover lead but there are some reports of non working due to Rovers wiring not compliant with system Ground and chassis ground at pins 4 & 5 (SP put a diode in which you can short out to try and establish connection). This lead has a white plug.
30212400 So called universal OBD lead as it was used for VAG/GM/PSA group J1962. Black plug.
30214600 Later more sophisticated Universal lead also known as ISO9141 lead.

Make sure when using the units you have good connections to the right port and the ignition is on.
The functionality varies between set ups and cars e.g. On Rover (1) and later pods for SPi on early model SPi you can do an engine tune up, set idle speed and CO however later (so called closed circuit with active catalyst) you cannot but you can set up the stepper motor.

Of course buying or borrowing this type of kit is only part of the equation, you need to know what you are looking at when presented with the data. It can help you solve some niggles at minimum cost.
My own SPi used to cut out when warmed up, when I checked the engine never got up to correct temperature (new thermostat) and the MAP sensor reading didn't change when revved (split vacuum pipes and blocked fuel trap).

This information is gleaned from various places (including lots on TMF in different places) my own experience with using the SP kit and feedback from others. Use at your own risk folks!

FlyingScot

Updated with tests on Rover 2 pods, MAP pod and Quickcode pod. Some additional info on SP diagnostics support forum. Comments on early grey pods.

Edited by FlyingScot, 27 June 2013 - 09:32 PM.

#94 IainStallard

IainStallard

I am the first status holder 2014.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts
  • Local Club: Box Hill Mini Club, CCMOC

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:46 AM

Oddly, I have used my Rover 2 pod on my spi and 2 others and its worked so its very odd. Any reason for this?

#95 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:54 PM

Hi, I can imagine because the Rover (2) pod is also for the MEMS system albeit an MPI configuration so the communication protocol will be the same.
Interesting! as the booklets which came with the Rover (1) and Rovet (2) pods both have a chart inside showing Pod 1 for SPi. Most garages bought starter kits with handsets pods and leads for several cars and these often came with Rover pods 1 & 2 so the overlap wasnt apparent.
It does mean that people with both pods could sell one off I suppose but as people are probably aware the major cost is the handset and particularly the SPi lead 302116 although this could be home made from another spare lead with the din plug still on it since only three connections plus power are needed.

Edit: Confirmed what Iain has said. Was able to use a Rover Pod 2 on an SPI and it could read the data no problem on a two line ACR (grey) and ACR2 (blue one).

Edited by FlyingScot, 14 June 2013 - 08:09 AM.

#96 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:23 PM

Your main interest should be the leads and handset not the pods. Pods are cheap leads are not. See my posting above to help you decide.
You CAN buy cheaply if you study and learn what you are doing; All is revealed in my post!

FS

#97 Erickosrmon Muiruri

Erickosrmon Muiruri

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Lovers in Kenya

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:33 AM

Didn't know where to mention this but if anyone near me has an Spi, 91 to 96, and has problems with it and suspects it is a sensor, I have a code reader/reset and will always test the ECU,(free) if you PM me. I use it on our Race Minis.

Hi how much does this tester/code reader cost if i was to purchase it

#98 IainStallard

IainStallard

I am the first status holder 2014.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts
  • Local Club: Box Hill Mini Club, CCMOC

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:43 AM

They pop up on eBay pretty often and can range between £100 and £300

The most common readers are Sykes Pickavent readers with Rover 1 pods (spi) or Rover 3 pods (spi and mpi) the leads needed will be the 3 pin one for spis or the 16 pin one for mpis

Alternatively, Crypton ones occasionally pop up too, these are less common though

#99 toplessmini

toplessmini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Local Club: none on the island....

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:16 PM

Posting this up as a pulling together and update of Sykes Pickavant ACR equipment, pods and leads to help those who are looking for their own set up.

I am quoting SP part numbers which in some cases they added 00 to the end of eg. Rover (1) pod was 300565 became 30056500

Handsets

30055000 ACR and ACR 2, 2 line handset which came originally in grey (ACR) and then blue ACR 2
30255400 ACR 4, 4 line handset which came originally in blue then transparent blue

Pods can be used with ACR 2 and ACR 4 handsets
300564 Original Rover (1) E.R.I.C.s and SPi pod suitable for SPi Mini
30056500 Rover (1) pod for SPi Mini not clear the difference from the original above
300566 Original Rover (2) MPi pod this ISN'T for MPi Minis, but rather for other Rovers
30056700 Rover (2) pod as above again unclear of any changes from original
30350800 Rover/ MG V3 pod does both Rover (1) and Rover (2) applications plus MPi Mini except airbag on those models which have it.
30350300 Quickcode pod can be used with Mini SPi
30360100 Quickcode (later model) can be used with Mini SPi

Pods which need later ACR 4 handsets

30353200 Rover V4 covers SPi and MPi including airbag
30358500 Rover V5 as above but later version
30354900 G2 Pod also known as MAP or iMAP this contains a huge library of vehicles on SD card inc SPi and MPi Minis. Can be updated still via the Internet (and a paid subscription to SP diagnostics) but is now end of line as the effort is on new stuff.

Leads

30211600 3 pin Rover lead connects to black plug next to brake master cylinder (green one is for alarm)
30214000 16 pin OBD type for MPi cars and Japanese SPi models. This is the official Rover lead but there are some reports of non working due to Rovers wiring not compliant with system Ground and chassis ground at pins 4 & 5 (SP put a diode in which you can short out to try and establish connection). This lead has a white plug.
30212400 So called universal OBD lead as it was used for VAG/GM/PSA group J1962. Black plug.
30214600 Later more sophisticated Universal lead also known as ISO9141 lead.

Make sure when using the units you have good connections to the right port and the ignition is on.
The functionality varies between set ups and cars e.g. On Rover (1) and later pods for SPi on early model SPi you can do an engine tune up, set idle speed and CO however later (so called closed circuitwith active catalyst) you cannot.

Of course buying or borrowing this type of kit is only part of the equation, you need to know what you are looking at when presented with the data. It can help you solve some niggles at minimum cost.
My own SPi used to cut out when warmed up, when I checked the engine never got up to correct temperature (new thermostat) and the MAP sensor reading didn't change when revved (split vacuum pipes and blocked fuel trap).

This information is gleaned from various places (including lots on TMF in different places) my own experience with using the SP kit and feedback from others. Use at your own risk folks!

FlyingScot

How do I locate / know which is pin 4 & 5 in my Mini?

I have tried to read my MPI using

1x iso 9141 lead 30214600

Sykes Pickavant acr4

1x Rover 3 pod 30350800

Only for it not to work................... :shy:

Edited by toplessmini, 13 June 2013 - 06:59 PM.

#100 toplessmini

toplessmini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Local Club: none on the island....

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:58 PM

:shy:

#101 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:48 PM

Toplessmini if you have the lead 30214600 (ISO lead then this could be the issue). The simpler leads don't have all the pins connected. It is pin 4&5 (top row which need connecting together).
It is a problem with the implementation of the standard ( rover didn't implement correctly the ISO std).
A search for a picture shows this link from tmsmini you can see on the number on the left hand plug 9 -16.

http://www.theminifo...r-and-mpi-mini/

Access the socket on the car and connect 4 & 5 together (5 will have nothing on it) alternatively run a separate earth to pin 5.
You have the ignition right?

FS

Edited re-read some of my notes and realised not to muck about with the lead but mod the socket.

Edited by FlyingScot, 14 June 2013 - 11:51 AM.

#102 zony

zony

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Local Club: Welsh Rarebit Mini Club

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:44 PM

Trying to adjust stepper motor on my MPI.

Tried a few times. It just says adjust throttle screw until stepper motor is within range. When I do that its revving its nuts off.

What am I doing wrong.

Please help.

#103 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:37 PM

First question is why are you trying to adjust the stepper motor? What problem are you trying to resolve?

I am presuming you have some diagnostic kit attached? Sykes Pickavant ACR/2/4 or Crypton ACT plugged in.

Mechanical set up confirmed http://www.gaima.co....r/RoverMEMS.pdf ?

FS

Edited by FlyingScot, 26 June 2013 - 09:38 PM.

#104 zony

zony

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Local Club: Welsh Rarebit Mini Club

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:15 PM

I want to adjust it as when testing on my ACR4 it says Stepper motor is set to zero.

#105 Fast Ivan

Fast Ivan

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:13 PM

I don't think you can adjust the idle air control valve (stepper motor on the SPI). The screw you are adjusting I guess is the one that opens/closes the butterfly? If so this is set at the factory and shouldn't be adjusted.

The ACR saying that the stepper is at 0 indicates either a fault with the IACV itself or its not receiving the correct information from the ECU, so would point to a sensor/loom/ECU issue. Start with cleaning the IACV though.

How you go about re-setting the throttle body screw I don't know, but it might prove easy once you have the initial issue sorted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users