#211 JonnyBMX

JonnyBMX

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts
  • Local Club: Rebels

Posted 08 October 2010 - 07:58 AM

looks so nice mate, goood work :P may upgrade to summin a bit faster one day ;)

#212 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 18 October 2010 - 01:01 PM

Chris, any updates?

#213 krazy

krazy

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:46 PM

Awesome work Chris! I am a California native as well and LOVE reading through your progress. How did you learn to weld like that, I want to learn, but I don't know where to even begin to start! Keep up the great work!

#214 Chris C

Chris C

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 03:55 PM

As always, I appreciate the comments guys.

I'm working on wiring right now, but I'll cook up an update for you later this evening. I promise!

#215 Kaison

Kaison

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 12:08 AM

I'm in love with this thread!!

Such a perfect car!

I feel like flying over to see it in person!

I'm in LOVE!!

#216 Nick Warwick

Nick Warwick

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,588 posts
  • Local Club: Sheffield mini club

Posted 03 November 2010 - 10:04 AM

unbelievable car mate well done

#217 Joe250

Joe250

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 07:28 AM

Chris,

I just re-read your entire build. The car just keeps getting better. I especially like that last photo. The car looks really mean. Any updates?

Joe

#218 Chris C

Chris C

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 06:55 AM

Well, I guess I have a few things to show you all.

Wires:
Posted Image

Wires:
Posted Image

Wires:
Posted Image

Wires:
Posted Image

It's a complete fusebox/universal harness kit from Painless wiring, and it's extremely well thought out and remarkably simple. That being said, my buddy Brandon has been dropping by and helping out, since he's probably run a few dozen of these kits before. He was also kind enough to fab up a fan relay setup as well as a circuit for a spare relay, which you can see lurking behind the dash. It also has a battery+ bus on the panel as well for all dash components. No more decrepit Lucas wiring! You can see the fusebox mounting better in this picture:

Posted Image

$50 stainless Ebay header, who could resist? Worth it for the weight reduction and looks alone. I'm going to suck the bottom up closer to the oil pan though, since right now the collector flange sits about 1 1/2" off the ground which is no good.

Posted Image

My apologies for the crap photos, it was late and dark and I didn't feel like dragging a flood light out. I need to take some proper pictures one of these days. And as always, I appreciate the kind words!

#219 Teapot

Teapot

TMF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 10:52 AM

Looking for the right word... ah, yes ...

Gawp –verb (used without object) Chiefly Northern U.S.
to stare with the mouth open in wonder or astonishment; gape.

That's about it, really. Amazing. Keep the pix coming.

#220 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:05 AM

I'm with Teapot ^^^^^^^^^^

Top work.

#221 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,140 posts
  • Local Club: 16vMini club

Posted 18 November 2010 - 09:06 AM

Build still looking awesome mate with some nice attention to detail at every point throughout, seriously top work dude! :thumbsup:

You might aswell pick up some more headers at that price and stack them up in the garage, everytime one goes as it sits too low just swap it over! :)

Are they for the 1800? is that why the collector is further down due to the taller block?

#222 m_brady15

m_brady15

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 08:06 PM

Hello Chris,

Great build buddy, just looked through it all, its amazingly tidy.

I love the centre console that you have made, looks lovely.

I see that you used a universal wiring loom from painless. I saw that you wrote some info about it but I was just wondering how you found the fitting of it? Did you go for the 18 circuit? Did it have wires for everything that you needed? With that kit what happens about earthing the wires? Did you have to buy anything else for it to work with the mini?

Sorry about all the questions but im looing at doing it to my mini :thumbsup:

Many thanks and best of luck with the rest of the build.

Miles

#223 Chris C

Chris C

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 08:18 AM

Teapot, cptkirk, m_brady15, & Kam; thanks for the support, it's quite the motivational tool! Gawp? That one is out of my dialect!

Kam, everybody could use a couple spares. It's for the d-series, the 4-2 flange sits right below where you can see. I'm fairly certain a DC sports header has the flange in around the same spot. The biggest problem with the header is that it comes out too far from the head, and you can't really run a grill with it. I'd like to build my own header at some point so I'm probably just going to run it grill-less for a little while.

m_brady15, I'm using the 12 circuit kit #10102 for a non-GM columned vehicle. The kit is great, I only have good things to say about it. It comes with an assload of extra wire (I snipped almost 10' of extra wire from the tail circuit), which is nice, as well as a bunch of various connectors and very comprehensive instructions. I'm not done wiring it yet so I can't really give a definitive answer as to whether or not it is a complete kit, although I know the 12 circuit does not include a circuit for an electric fuel pump. It also does not come with ground wires, which isn't really that big of a deal since all you have to ground are the gauges, lights, and the engine to the body, all of which are pretty simple. I'm using the Painless brand "powerwrap" stuff as well, which seems to be good quality.

I say do it! Having a modern fusebox with blade-type fuses and flashers/relays built in is so nice. Ditch that Lucas crap and step into the 21st century.

#224 dirtdiggler

dirtdiggler

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 06:21 PM

this thing is looking so damn good, keep up the good work.

by the way i am also going to put a d16z6 in my mini and was just wondering how hard is the fit? and i would really like to keep my car rhd?

#225 Chris C

Chris C

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 08:38 PM

Thanks dirtdiggler, the motor is not exactly "easy" to fit, are you going to be purchasing a kit or building your own? In hindsight it would have been much, much easier to fully notch the firewall instead of messing around with the intake for so long. If you want to keep the car RHD you will probably have to notch the toeboard in order to give the rack some clearance. As it sits, I've probably only got 3/4" of clearance between the transfer case and the LHD rack.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users