#226 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,140 posts
  • Local Club: 16vMini club

Posted 22 November 2010 - 01:51 PM

As it sits, I've probably only got 3/4" of clearance between the transfer case and the LHD rack

3/4" !!!!!!! Most of us are lucky if we even get 1/4" clearance between the RHD rack and box in a b-series!! :dontgetit: You d's have all the luck! :D

I can see where you have snipped the front end to let the header stick out......you might aswell show off the internals until you sort something out with the grill :)

#227 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:20 PM

I'd like to build my own header at some point so I'm probably just going to run it grill-less for a little while

Just buy another ebay jobbie? You could cut up the header and re-weld it closer, its not like you can't weld :)

I think for $50 it'll be worth a try at least? Even if it don't work out then fling it back on ebay, someone drunk on a friday night will buy it! Gotta love ebay :D

#228 dirtdiggler

dirtdiggler

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 05:45 PM

thanks

I plan so far to but the same kit you have, but i really don't like the idea of cutting the car up. Im ok i guess with the toe board but i don't want to cut the firewall. but i don't understand why the intake is so hard. seems like you could just cut grind and re weld?

#229 Kaison

Kaison

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 06:06 PM

From what I remember there is an aftermarket intake manifold for the civic engine. The Skunk2 manifold? Although it may only be for the B series and not D? worth a little research into aftermarket intakes.

#230 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 08:46 PM

Skunk2 is one of the best inlets on the hondas, bought one for mine :thumbsup: they do them for B and D series but the external size aint that much smaller than stock, the chamber inside has more room but I still think you will need to chop up the firewall

dirtdiggler - the outer two inlet runners are angled so makes it a ball ache to do, if they were all straight it would make it easier for most to chop up

#231 Kaison

Kaison

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 09:17 PM

I thought it was externally shorter and meant you didn't need bulkhead modification? My mistake :thumbsup:

#232 dirtdiggler

dirtdiggler

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 12:24 AM

thats kinda what i figured but at that point i would just make one from scratch. by buddy has a tig and my brother in law has a waterjet to make the flange. but chris hopefully you bring this thing to willow springs when its done as i live close and would love to check it out. keep it up man

#233 Chris C

Chris C

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 09:07 PM

Kam, I just think it would be a fun little side project to make a header. I don't see this happening anytime in the near future though.

The problem with any intake manifold is that the intake ports on the motor are almost directly inline with the crossmember that runs across the firewall, so any intake manifold that you use will need to sweep upward to clear it. I've seen some pictures on 16vminiclub that show what I am talking about.

dirtdiggler, I plan on taking it to willow ASAP to give it a shakedown session, as the rock walls/cliff edges on mulholland aren't terrible forgiving.

#234 dirtdiggler

dirtdiggler

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:14 AM

yes i know mulholland very well and i say keep it on the track you are putting way to much work into this thing to bust it all up. by the way if you need anything made hit me up, at work we have a cnc mill and a waterjet.

danny

#235 Chris C

Chris C

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 03:37 AM

Danny, I'll have to take you up on that in a few months, I might need some flanges cut. I've also got some throttle body ideas brewing that I could really use a machinist for. I know too well the dangers of the canyons, I was upside down in a focus up there less than a month ago. Wasn't mine and I wasn't driving, but still. I've seen enough wadded cars and bikes to know not to push it.

Back to the project, I've been putting in some more wiring time. I brought all the Honda connectors through the firewall:

Posted Image

From the inside:

Posted Image

It does seal, although in the future I might add some length to the connector wiring.

Maxi-fuse, relays and an additional battery positive terminal for powering switches/instruments/lights:

Posted Image

MONEY SHOT!

Posted Image

#236 Teapot

Teapot

TMF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:50 AM

Posted Image :proud:

Mmm ... grommets ... so smooth & round and protective. I'm shamed into getting some new ones before Huey's loom goes all fuzzy.

Lovely job, keep it up ;)

#237 Chris C

Chris C

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 08:03 PM

I wanted to use them for everything, but it's difficult to cram a bunch of Honda connectors through them. That aluminum plate splits in half for easy removal.

The left grommet is slightly crooked and it's driving me nuts.

#238 krazy

krazy

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 08:27 PM

I wanted to use them for everything, but it's difficult to cram a bunch of Honda connectors through them. That aluminum plate splits in half for easy removal.

The left grommet is slightly crooked and it's driving me nuts.

Hey Chris, where are you located? i would love to see this thing in person, Im in S.Cali, near you I wonder? The car is looking awesome!

#239 dirtdiggler

dirtdiggler

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:53 AM

chris i know what you are talking about i have also been in a friends car and crashed big time their. but as far as the flange are u talking the header flange? or collector? i will have to check but i think i already have them on file. by the way what made you pick the d over the b?

#240 m1muiz

m1muiz

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 01:25 AM

I am not worthy...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users