cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:33 PM

Intercooler Cartridge Adaptor Plates

I made a start to the adaptor plates that will sit either side of the intercooler cartridge, as shown in the CAD model this will make all the air flow through the intercooler. I am still undecided as to whether I use acetal on both side or make the top plate from ali, that way transferring heat from the body of the charger into I/C....mmmm....time will tell. I managed to cut out the central hole but didnt get a picture, all that remains now is to get the sloped edges machined in.

After that I couldnt resist putting the charger on it and then the manifold back on the engine as you see in the photos at the end of the post.

Adaptor plates:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Intercooler Cartridge in place:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#752 Birdman

Birdman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 01:10 PM

That's a sweet looking set up.

#753 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:10 PM

That's a sweet looking set up.

Thanks Birdman.

#754 plugfaebervie

plugfaebervie

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:45 PM

this thing is gonna shift,lol.

#755 rustandoil

rustandoil

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:00 AM

Looking good!

Is there some sort of brace / support under the manifold? just thinking about all that weight hanging on the manifold studs.........

Martin

#756 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 01:07 PM

Looking good!

Is there some sort of brace / support under the manifold? just thinking about all that weight hanging on the manifold studs.........

Martin

A good point Martin, there is a brace that sits underneath the manifold but its not the sturdiest thing in the world so the charger is getting a snout clamp that is braced to the auto tensioner which will be a massive help not only with the forces wanting to pull the charger down just by the belt but also taking the strain off the manifold bolts.

To add to the mix I was going to brace the throttle body to the intake manifold but now I am thinking of bracing it to the engine somehow then the weight on the manifold is supported on both sides. I cant really work this out until I have the throttle body and other bits fitted but first I need to finish the TB-SC manifold so its going to be a while before I get to that point.

#757 drayton min man

drayton min man

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:20 PM

Andy

This surely looks sweet !! :highfive:

Edited by drayton min man, 02 January 2012 - 08:22 PM.

#758 harry_orridge

harry_orridge

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:14 PM

Awesome loving the whole of your car,I have read you build from the beginning this week. I'm taking some inspiration from your stripes when my car is finished. :)

Harry

#759 Johanmini

Johanmini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:54 PM

Great looking project, keep up the good work.

#760 MJWarren

MJWarren

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Local Club: DCMOC

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:25 PM

Hi Andy,

Is there anywhere at the back of the car where the engine mounting subframe attaches to the bodywork? As far as i can see the only place the rear subframe mounts to the car is to the floorpan, with all the material removed from the rear of the shell doesnt this make it more flexible.

Im only asking as my dad is interested in doing one of these conversions myself after being bored with A series engines and having a Busa engine in the garage.

Thanks
Matt

#761 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:01 AM

Hi Andy,

Is there anywhere at the back of the car where the engine mounting subframe attaches to the bodywork? As far as i can see the only place the rear subframe mounts to the car is to the floorpan, with all the material removed from the rear of the shell doesnt this make it more flexible.

Im only asking as my dad is interested in doing one of these conversions myself after being bored with A series engines and having a Busa engine in the garage.

Thanks
Matt

Matt

There are no fixings on the frame that are specifically for holding the body anywhere aft of the roll over bar part of the spaceframe, however I made a brace that makes the rear of the body really solid you can see it here: http://www.theminifo...ost__p__1621445 couple that with the parcel shelf that when all bolted down creates good horizontal sheer strength and the rear of the body is pretty darned solid.

As you've got a Busa lump sat there I would not hesitate in getting involved, as you may have read in the Zcars build before expect it to cost more than you initially think but it is worth it in the end, the grin you get (after you've cleared your pants out) is second to none.

DO IT......

#762 landroversforever

landroversforever

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:19 PM

Hi Andy,

Thanks
Matt

the strength comes from the cage :)

#763 MJWarren

MJWarren

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Local Club: DCMOC

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:21 PM

Thanks for the info Andy, its a great help and that brace bar is a great idea, i bet it makes the back very solid. Since i last posted, my dad has spoken to Chris and he seems to like the idea of the engine going in the front with rear wheel drive. They obviously dont do a kit for this but itd be a bit of a one off. They have built a car back in the early days with an R1 in the front with RWD and apparently it was really good! But Z Cars havent really ever looked into this set up since.

Im sure we will come to some decision soon enough, Thanks fo the help. Might see you at some shows this year in my KAD powered mini.

Matt

#764 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:52 AM

Bolt Problems

Here's a word from the now '1 fact wiser' person - when taking on a project that means you need bolts of a specific Japanese Industry Stnadard check you can get them before ordering all your parts.

For anyone wanting to order bolts to be used to hold the intake manifold on the bolts you require are JIS 1189 (small head flanged bolt) M8. Due to the 10mm thermal barrier gasket I needed 2x35mm and 5x85mm long bolts, the 35's were not an issue, however the 85's - aaaaaaaaargh.......

I could find a similar type of bolt in titanium at £14 per bolt which you just couldnt justify that amount on bolts. I searched for days on'tinternet and come up empty handed every time.

I then had what alchoholics call 'a moment of clarity' and got on the phone to the guys at my local Honda Stealership, now the parts guy their - James (Yeomans at Chichester) is a legend, he will not only provide me with any Honda part numbers I require so that I might order them somewhere else much cheaper but he also took the time to search the Honda parts system to find me JIS 1189 M8 85mm bolts - geezer......

So to save anyone else the trouble heres the part numbers:

Posted Image

#765 mini_in_progress

mini_in_progress

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:51 PM

just read this whole project (its took me ages) really good woork buddy, i especially like the charge cooler, when i built my zetec turbo i was trying to desighn one like the jags where there built into the inlet manifold itself but i like your aproch better, far less hassle!

looking forward to more updaes,

dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users