#1 Gangsta

Gangsta

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Local Club: looking for one

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:16 AM

This will be my blog for my M70 Clubman Estate.

So far I have my M70 Engine (Thats a 5.0 V12), 2x M45 Superchargers, 2x Intercoolers, 2x Big Throttle Bottles, 2x Fuel Pressure Regulators, G50 box.

The engine will be mid-mounted. I will be retaining the clubman shape,n but giving it a mild top chop and streaching it by 32cm.b All new electrics for the full car, including all the toys.

I will collect my Clubman Estate within the next week - then I can begin. First off stripping all the components off, and taking the bare shell to swansea for sandblasting to see what is lurking under the paint and rust.

Will get some before and after pictures!

Any questions or comments - feel free to post.

Edited by Gangsta, 02 January 2009 - 01:44 PM.

#2 Gangsta

Gangsta

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:05 PM

As it seems compulsary in mini-land to name your mini - this car will henseforth be known as 'Fat Tony'

#3 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:16 PM

a 5.0 V12 >_<

#4 Gangsta

Gangsta

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:33 PM

umm - yup thats correct - hence the need for the stretch!

Are there any other v12 minis out there? If so any pointers?

#5 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:38 PM

chair child was going to but has now gone for a different body

he's full of useful and useless :D info and might have some suggestions

theres whats left of his topic on here somewhere, but it's more ideas than progress

#6 Gangsta

Gangsta

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 02:19 AM

I had a look at that other v12 thread - seems he was on the right track, but possibly not in the right stage of life right now to undertake such a large project (by this i just mean the references to always being skint) but technically he seemed to have it sussed.

A breif history - one of my toys was a BMW 750iL with all the toys, more heated and electrically operated gizmos than I even have in my house. And a luuurvly 5 ltr v12. Anyway early one saturday morning I woke with a clatter - looked outside and seen my BM had been moiled. A fiesta had slipped coming round the bend - went through the wall by the house and wiped out the rear end of the BM (and totally destroyed the front end of the fezzer) You cant just buy bits for 7 series bmw's anywhere - so the decision was made. Get some cash for the repairs and buy a mini with it - and transfer my lurrvly v12 into it. Got out the measuring tape to see if it would fit. (not a chance) - so then it was off to view an estate on ebay, much closer this time - but still need another 10" or so to make it fit -= but thats do-able.

Bought a clubman estate - collecting next week.

Prroblem: I was just about to start work on the BM, and already bought the bits.

Solution: put them in the mini too :shy:

But after a long hard think about it - I decided that as I have more than 500Nm of torque as standard - if i bolt on twin t70 turbos - there gonna give it quite a kick - and well keeping traction with the stanndard engine would be hard enough without the kick from turbos. So i have decided to remove the Eaton M45 supercharger from the 3 Series BM, and aquire another one also - and do a twin supercharger instead - that way the increase in power is all through the range - and i can use the bits I got for the turbo - eg intercooolers, throttle bodies, dump valves, etc.

Thats the story so far...

Attached Files

#7 Gangsta

Gangsta

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 03:07 AM

First Picture of 'Fat Tony'

Posted Image

#8 buddylove

buddylove

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts
  • Local Club: SAMOA

Posted 03 January 2009 - 05:34 AM

excited to see how this turns out. Hope it gets completed!

#9 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 08:16 AM

so if it's not to rude to ask

where do you need the extra 10 inches ? :shy:

#10 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 03 January 2009 - 09:17 AM

this sounds like fun.
I had a similar project in mind but non mini - an M5, P5 using the rover shell and the BMW running gear.

good luck :shy:

#11 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 10:57 AM

Looks like a great project. Il be watching to see how you get on. This makes my redtop build look simple.

Have you had a look over at 16vminiclub? Theres quite alot of knowledgeable people with alot of different builds over there.

Mike

#12 mini-man-dan

mini-man-dan

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts
  • Local Club: J19 Mini Owners Club

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:21 PM

V12+Mini= :shy:
My brothers 1275 wheelspins in 1st 2nd and 3rd so good luck with a v12 :shy:

#13 Gangsta

Gangsta

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:25 PM

so if it's not to rude to ask

where do you need the extra 10 inches ? :shy:

lols

I need it in the back behind the B pillars, as mines is the long G50 box rather than the short one :shy:

i need to move the front bulkhead forward a bit too - if there isnt something directly behind it that can't be moved - Im 6'2" so a little more legroom wont go amiss.

Thanks for all the support guys, as payback i'll take loads of photos - my daughter just got a nice new slr camera!!

Im quite fortunate that I have access to full garage, with all the gear including lifts etc - and the skills of some great mechanics and bodywork people to fall back on if I start to struggle. And hey what else were apprenticeships invented for if not to get people to do jobs like cleaning calipers, stripping paint etc when you cant be arsed :shy:

#14 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:30 PM

i don't know much about this set up

i'm guessing its a inline engine with gear box on the back and rear wheel drive

so i take it your doing away with the prop shaft and mounting the gear box to the diff with the engine in the middle

just trying to picture this in my head :shy:

#15 Gangsta

Gangsta

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:38 PM

Its an inline engine, coupled to a transaxle gearbox (the diff is internal to the box) so from front to back it is engine, custom bell housing, gearbox. with the driveshafts coming out the side of the box.

by the way M5 P5 Sounds really cool - i have a RV8 from a p5b kicking about in the garage somehwere - would seriosly need the handling seen to though!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users