96 replies to this topic

#46 marvin151173

marvin151173

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 10:03 AM

I haven't the brown/white wiring going to 'B' on the Voltage Stabilizer.. & the two greens going to 'I' are the wrong type of connector, do I need to change them to spades so they slide in?

Cheers!

i've just finished doing mine and have only just seen this thread...

RE the 2 greens - i had a loom off jupitus and had to change the connectors to spades, i think it's all down to the type of voltage stabiliser you have.

i can't comment on the white/brown at the moment, i'll see if i can see in to the pod from the back later...

attaching the pod to the bulk head was done with a few stainless self tappers and i too removed the plate that was glued to the bulkhead (removing this has made the wheeze of the K&N filter more apparent in the car but i think it's cool)

I have a 1990 mini so the heater pipes got in the way too, i just trimmed the pod with a pair of side cutters a bit at a time until i had the right shape to clear them (make sure you have cleared the hose, you know how much vibration you get in a mini and you dont want to wear through)

I bought a dash tray and dash liner kit from retro retrims (bert998 on here) it takes abit of getting in but looks pretty good when its done. you will have to do a bit of fettling (if you do buy one) to get it around the afore mentioned hoses (if you look carfully in the pictures you'll see it not quite lying right (i still need to fettle!)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

sorry about the amount of pictures of the finished product, i've only just done done it and wanted to show you it'll be worth it in the end, a centre binacle is defitiely the way forward!

oh, finally, if you do get stuck take Jupitus's offer upand ask him for help, he was really helpful (cheers Jupitus)

Marv

#47 analogue_radio

analogue_radio

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 10:24 AM

Brilliant Marvin! Exactly how mine will look & I've got the dash liner & tray coming from Bert998 soon I hope, I'm also putting my headunit where yours is, but I'm going to spray my grey radio holder black so it fits in more =]

#48 marvin151173

marvin151173

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 11:27 AM

Brilliant Marvin! Exactly how mine will look & I've got the dash liner & tray coming from Bert998 soon I hope, I'm also putting my headunit where yours is, but I'm going to spray my grey radio holder black so it fits in more =]

Cool

i know, i need to sort out the radio holder (doent look too bad when the head unit is in though) and the doorcards....yes, never ending.....

#49 Danuneek

Danuneek

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 11:34 AM

Another thing. How does everyone get around the issue of fitting the Dash Cards as dont the two windscreen de-mister pipes on either side of the speedo get in the way? I had to make some custom ones that fit without going all the way back =]
And what about calibration/mileometer, how have you got round this issue?

Edited by Danuneek, 14 February 2009 - 11:38 AM.

#50 Jupitus

Jupitus

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts
  • Local Club: Breathemini

Posted 14 February 2009 - 02:29 PM

Thanks Marv - I try to make it as simple to integrate as possible, but sometimes the models can be different, or someone can have a car with previous changes.

The White/Brown should not connect to the stabiliser at all really, but if that is working then don't change it!

I will try to assist anyone using a loom from me or otherwise, so if youhave problems post in the tech section for assistance =]

#51 sweetser

sweetser

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,995 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 04:19 PM

I wernt sure if it went there or not so i connected it up. Not sure if everything works yet as my cars not on the road =]

i also had to change to connectors on the two green wires, no real problem to be honest.

Marv that looks lovely :thumbsup:

#52 Asphalt

Asphalt

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • Local Club: Member of a Local Club?:

Posted 14 February 2009 - 04:31 PM

Hmmm - don't you could re-route the heater hoses through the holes where brake & clutch master sit on a LHD car!?
On pre-servo LHD cars it's done that way (opposite around-ish, hoses run through where the master cyls. are on a RHD car)
The holes are there, thought...

Would save that nasty cutting... O_O

Posted Image

#53 Goopster

Goopster

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 10:21 PM

*snip*

I bought a dash tray and dash liner kit from retro retrims (bert998 on here) it takes abit of getting in but looks pretty good when its done. you will have to do a bit of fettling (if you do buy one) to get it around the afore mentioned hoses (if you look carfully in the pictures you'll see it not quite lying right (i still need to fettle!)

Hi Marv, nice job you have done there - a quick question if I may - I already have a centre speedo but I was wondering about your dash TOP rail - mine is painted. I dont want to fit the big top rail but like the look of yours with it's vinyl covering, and the chrome vent housings (I think Mini Spares sell those). Is this something you got from Retro retrims? I can't see it on their website... Or did you make it yourself out of a piece of vinyl? I think it looks great and finishes it off a treat.....

Regards, Goopster

#54 marvin151173

marvin151173

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 10:05 AM

*snip*

Hi Marv, nice job you have done there - a quick question if I may - I already have a centre speedo but I was wondering about your dash TOP rail - mine is painted. I dont want to fit the big top rail but like the look of yours with it's vinyl covering, and the chrome vent housings (I think Mini Spares sell those). Is this something you got from Retro retrims? I can't see it on their website... Or did you make it yourself out of a piece of vinyl? I think it looks great and finishes it off a treat.....

Regards, Goopster

The vinyl is from newton commercial, it's the old cooper style trim. They sell a roll that is supposed to do the top rail, the bottom rail and the side pillars, it wasnt all that expansive to be honest, i think the glue cost more!! i'll see if i can find the link...

The chrome vent trim and ash tray are from minispares (excelent service as always, blatent creeping) and you can get them in matt black too.

hope this helps

Marv

Edited by marvin151173, 15 February 2009 - 10:06 AM.

#55 Goopster

Goopster

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 04:30 PM

Thanks Marv, much appreciated. I'll check out the two websites....

Cheers!

#56 analogue_radio

analogue_radio

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:26 PM

:X

Having a nightmare with this.. just uploading some pictures now, but basically I can't seem to get what I want working, even though I've connected up the corresponding wires & put the bulbs in the right places (I think)

- If I go right/left with my indicators it's flashes the dash illumination light (middle on at the top)

- Putting the headlight switch to bring on the dash illumination lights brings on all the bulbs including the indicator lights, bar from the middle dash light at the top & the light leading off to the left (see pictures)

- Petrol sender isn't working.

- Water temp doesn't appear to move, of course the engine is cold but it should move a tad at least.

I've got some bare wires not doing anything, a black from the loom which I'm guessing it an earth.. but I've got nowhere to connect it to on the existing loom that was hooked up to my 3 gauges..

EDIT: Pictures..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by theIMAGE, 16 February 2009 - 12:37 PM.

#57 marvin151173

marvin151173

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 04:56 PM

i'll see if i can find the wiring diagram i drew up when i did mine. When i got my pod i was lucky enough to buy one with the original loom still attached, so i did a little diagam before i disconected it and put the jupitus special on.

might take a couple of days, are you in a big rush?

Edited by marvin151173, 16 February 2009 - 10:28 PM.

#58 marvin151173

marvin151173

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:05 PM

right, read through it again...

the first 2 points suggest you've go the bulb holders in the wrong holes (bear in mind i cant see any of your pictures as i'm at work and they are blocked) try swapping them over.

petrol sender might me wired wrong or could be mullered, you can buy these seperatly but check the wiring before you go to the mini spares website with credit card in hand (like i said in my earlier post i'll put my diagram up if i've still got it)

my temp gage doesnt move at all until the engine starts to warm up, doent move in the slightest!

Later

Marv

Edited by marvin151173, 16 February 2009 - 10:29 PM.

#59 analogue_radio

analogue_radio

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:10 PM

Cheers Marv, do you mind editing both your posts and deleting the images? just saves a lot of space and won't take years to load up, cheers fella :X

& nah I'm in no rush, failed my MOT so I've got plenty of time :o

#60 Jupitus

Jupitus

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts
  • Local Club: Breathemini

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:44 PM

Guys - I'm actually in the middle of doing some work away from keyboard, but lets see if we can tackle this a bit at a time.... first thing... the indicators/dash illumination crossing over... please check you have not mixed up red/green with green/red when hooking it up... the first colour is the main thicker colour on the wire, the second is the thinner trace colour... :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users