mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,806 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 22 June 2009 - 05:48 PM

Jupitus

See attached images of what i intend to fit, ideally i would like a loom that converts the printed circuit board connector to the connector I've got on the back of the centre dials. If this is not possible could you tell me what wires I will need to connect up to my current loom if i retain the loom on the back of the centre dials.

Thanks,

Jon

I bought a matching 9-way connector with crimp terminals from Autosparks (see link below) and connected the existing loom to the centre speedo loom connector:-
http://www.autospark...roducts_id=1758

Edited by mab01uk, 22 June 2009 - 05:55 PM.

#77 shawsy

shawsy

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Local Club: Yeovil Mini Mania

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:29 PM

Jupitus

See attached images of what i intend to fit, ideally i would like a loom that converts the printed circuit board connector to the connector I've got on the back of the centre dials. If this is not possible could you tell me what wires I will need to connect up to my current loom if i retain the loom on the back of the centre dials.

Thanks,

Jon

I bought a matching 9-way connector with crimp terminals from Autosparks (see link below) and connected the existing loom to the centre speedo loom connector:-
http://www.autospark...roducts_id=1758

That looks good and would look pretty original, what colour wires did you connect from the printed circuit speedo type to the centre console loom? any pics?

Thanks, Jon

#78 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,806 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 10:16 PM

It was a while ago but the wire colours were pretty much connect like to like but they do vary a little depending on year of Mini I think. Mine were similar colours to the detailed pics on page 3 of this thread. I have since done a later '89 Mini by comparing the Haynes manual wiring diagrams which give the colours and functions for different year cars. Before finally fitting new connector label each wire with masking tape until all 9 have a function on them, then lightly connect with the crimps only and check everything works as it should............when you are sure all are ok push barbed crimps into correct hole in the new plastic connector plug and finally plug into socket.
Hope this helps and makes sense!

#79 finch661

finch661

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 24 June 2009 - 10:05 AM

how much would it cost to get a ok condition centre speedo (including the temp&oil gauge, and housing?)

#80 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,806 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 11:43 AM

how much would it cost to get a ok condition centre speedo (including the temp&oil gauge, and housing?)

Try Minimail.............used to have loads secondhand for reasonable prices.

http://www.minimail.co.uk/

#81 Jupitus

Jupitus

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts
  • Local Club: Breathemini

Posted 24 June 2009 - 11:55 AM

It was a while ago but the wire colours were pretty much connect like to like but they do vary a little depending on year of Mini I think. Mine were similar colours to the detailed pics on page 3 of this thread. I have since done a later '89 Mini by comparing the Haynes manual wiring diagrams which give the colours and functions for different year cars. Before finally fitting new connector label each wire with masking tape until all 9 have a function on them, then lightly connect with the crimps only and check everything works as it should............when you are sure all are ok push barbed crimps into correct hole in the new plastic connector plug and finally plug into socket.
Hope this helps and makes sense!

Sorry Shawsy, just wandered back into this thread... the advice here from mab01uk is probably the best way to do it, and with that crimp set from Autosparks too as advised. If you are unsure on the colours then post up the wire colours from the back of the newer pod (ie the ones in the 12-way connector) and I should be able to do a match up for you.

#82 finch661

finch661

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 12:19 PM

thanks for that, just having a look now, may seem like a stupid question, but what would it be called? there is quite a lot of different parts to look through?
i have found one on ebay that is missing the temp gauge, its going for £45... is this reasonable?

#83 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,806 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 12:42 PM

thanks for that, just having a look now, may seem like a stupid question, but what would it be called? there is quite a lot of different parts to look through?
i have found one on ebay that is missing the temp gauge, its going for £45... is this reasonable?

Give Tim a call to check whats included here:-
http://www.minimail....q=centre speedo

http://www.minimail....s.jsp?q=ADU2341

Edited by mab01uk, 24 June 2009 - 12:48 PM.

#84 finch661

finch661

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:29 AM

cheers for that, i am also wondering about the installation, the electrics should be ok (im an electronic engineer...) but i am wondering if the back plate in the engine bay has to be removed (maybe drilled for connectors?) and how can the speedo cable be changed with the engine in the car?

#85 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,806 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 11:53 AM

cheers for that, i am also wondering about the installation, the electrics should be ok (im an electronic engineer...) but i am wondering if the back plate in the engine bay has to be removed (maybe drilled for connectors?) and how can the speedo cable be changed with the engine in the car?

Late type Dash Top rail trim has to be removed (3 or 4 bolts i think), also black bulkead plate - unscrew and carefully cut from around main wiring loom grommet with tinsnips - it has an indentation for air filter clearance which gets in the way of centre speedo assy. Older Minis dd not have a plate but more noise inside car! Speedo cable is swapped for shorter one, can be got at from above/below, access is tight around gearbox but can be done in situ.

Edited by mab01uk, 25 June 2009 - 11:54 AM.

#86 finch661

finch661

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 12:25 PM

ah gotcha! i will have a look at my mini and see how easy it will be to remove the backplate. does the speedo cable have to be removed? would a long one not suffice, or is it a case of different connectors?

#87 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,806 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 01:21 PM

ah gotcha! i will have a look at my mini and see how easy it will be to remove the backplate. does the speedo cable have to be removed? would a long one not suffice, or is it a case of different connectors?

Existing speedo cable is too long to fit without kinks and also has the wrong type of connection at speedo end. Get a good one from somewhere like Minispares as some cheap ones are made too short and are difficult to fit!
Note also on late Minis the heater pipes need a bit of re-routing through the bulkhead to make a neat job of fitting.

Edited by mab01uk, 25 June 2009 - 01:27 PM.

#88 finch661

finch661

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 02:45 PM

define later minis ( i have an 85)

#89 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,806 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:51 PM

define later minis ( i have an 85)

Not sure exact year this changed in 1980's. If you have a later "inline" heater hot water valve operated by the heater knob control cable, the water pipes pass through the bulkhead and interfere with the centre speedo pod. Some people just trim the plastic pod but most I have seen then end up with a bulge in the dash panel side trims.
Earlier Minis with the hot water valve mounted on the cylinder head have the heater pipes routed through the 2 spare holes for the LH drive brake/clutch master cylinders - out of the way under the parcel shelf.
On later Minis these holes have a small black blanking plate bolted over them. Remove this plate drill some holes in it or get a replacement early one fitted with rubber seal and you can then re-route the heater piopes old style and out of the way of the speedo pod.
Hope this makes some sense..........there are other posts giving more detail if you need it.............has anyone got some pics to illustrate?

#90 Asphalt

Asphalt

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • Local Club: Member of a Local Club?:

Posted 25 June 2009 - 06:38 PM

I think the change was by 1987? Or 1990??

early / late
Posted ImagePosted Image

Late stly hoses can easily be re-routed to go through the blanking plate (as mab01uk said)...

by the way. here's my attempt:
Posted Image

Edited by Asphalt, 25 June 2009 - 06:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users