81 replies to this topic

#31 StaffordSi

StaffordSi

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:12 PM

oh dear, 300bhp 1.4 K-Series engines on stock bottom ends, BINI engines blowing up and Getrag 285 gearboxs that apparently don't last long. This threads got it all.

1st I very highly..... HIGHLY doubt theres a 1.4 K-series at 300bhp on the standard bottom end, I doubt that the block would even take it. Not too mention *pineapple* cast pistons and con-rods.

2nd How many of these failed S engines were running lightweight pulleys? A friend of mine was the first non-tuner car past 270bhp and has never had so much as a sniff of a problem with it (except a gearbox mount). P.S 1320 Auto > Lohen

3rd The gearbox problem was with the 5 speed One & Cooper box IIRC. Mine gets absoloute death and I know of some being used in big power RST's and they haven't had too much trouble.

P.S for 250bhp, I doubt you'll find a cheaper engine to tune, with very nice driveability. The perfect fast road engine

Edited by StaffordSi, 27 February 2009 - 11:14 PM.

#32 PoLonY

PoLonY

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 05:19 AM

ha ha ha you guys all make me laugh, here in good ol SA we have plenty of bini cars, pushing 300hp ATW easy, just chuck out the supercharger and turbo it!!
we even have one thats super and turbocharged...and they have done far more than 3k miles...stop dissing a very good engine!!sure a vtec makes similar power but does it have the torque???hell no!!its the torque spread that counts in such a light car, no need to rev the nuts off it either...

no one has done the conversion, because of threads like this, if everyone had dissed the honda motor, would anyone have bothered to try fit it???

#33 insamoufonyx

insamoufonyx

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts
  • Local Club: NorthSomersetMiniClub.co.uk

Posted 08 March 2009 - 06:40 PM

oh dear, 300bhp 1.4 K-Series engines on stock bottom ends, BINI engines blowing up and Getrag 285 gearboxs that apparently don't last long. This threads got it all.

1st I very highly..... HIGHLY doubt theres a 1.4 K-series at 300bhp on the standard bottom end, I doubt that the block would even take it. Not too mention *pineapple* cast pistons and con-rods.

2nd How many of these failed S engines were running lightweight pulleys? A friend of mine was the first non-tuner car past 270bhp and has never had so much as a sniff of a problem with it (except a gearbox mount). P.S 1320 Auto > Lohen

3rd The gearbox problem was with the 5 speed One & Cooper box IIRC. Mine gets absoloute death and I know of some being used in big power RST's and they haven't had too much trouble.

P.S for 250bhp, I doubt you'll find a cheaper engine to tune, with very nice driveability. The perfect fast road engine

Finaly someone talking sense. so get off your high horse wil becuase your wrong, lying on a forum doesnt make it fact just because you typed it out.

#34 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 08 March 2009 - 07:00 PM

Take a chill pill mate.

#35 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 10:02 PM

Jesus. I offered what I thought was a non-contravertial oppinion on an engine and it's like I insulted your mothers.

If you guys think that the MINI engine is worth developing then fine (and if it's in a MINI then it make perfect sense). But in my opinion there are better engines out there for engine transplants. I know of no-one transplanting a MINI engine into any other car (but would be happy to be pointed towards some). If it was a great engine it would be popular for kit cars and engine transplants, but I don't see this.

The K-series I talk about is in a mini and runs low 13s 1/4s. It certinally has over 250bhp and DOES HAVE A STANDARD BOTTOM END(I would concede that 300 seems high, but perfectly feasable).

Insamoufomyx - I find your attitude confontational, it's easy to sit behind a computer and try and be a big man, if that's what you get off on, great. But for me it's people like you that ruin forums. You don't seem to be able to convey a point in a constructive manner; you just wnat to mouth off and tell people their wrong. where in reality all your facts seem to have come form the same hearsay that you accuse me of spouting (you based your last post on what someone in this thread has just said, with no proof either!, think about it?).

Please don't ever come and post on turbominis, because with an attitue like yours I'm confident you'll be banned very quickly.

#36 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts
  • Local Club: 16vMini club

Posted 08 March 2009 - 10:14 PM

Now that them two above have kissed and made up >_<

Still would be nice to get peoples input into if/how/etc for it to work?

Anyone else?

#37 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 01:44 PM

Funnily enough I had a go in a Cooper S yesterday for the first time (a 2003 Sc one). I must admit that I was slightly dissapointed by it's power delivery, it felt very flat below 4000rpm, and wasn't amazing after that. However, in a much lighter classic mini it would obviously be very fast.

As no-one has tried to fit one yet, I don't know what will be needed as in body mods, but what I do no is that the mini wheels are *melons*ing massive 17" rims, so even with 13s on a classic mini the final drive ratio will mean really low gearing. This is a problem with a lot of engine conversions into the classic mini, but might be a stopper for the MINI engine.

#38 insamoufonyx

insamoufonyx

• Members
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 06:39 PM

Insamoufomyx - I find your attitude confontational, it's easy to sit behind a computer and try and be a big man, if that's what you get off on, great. But for me it's people like you that ruin forums. You don't seem to be able to convey a point in a constructive manner; you just wnat to mouth off and tell people their wrong. where in reality all your facts seem to have come form the same hearsay that you accuse me of spouting (you based your last post on what someone in this thread has just said, with no proof either!, think about it?).

Please don't ever come and post on turbominis, because with an attitue like yours I'm confident you'll be banned very quickly.

Wil, I a having difficulties putting across my point in a constructive manner because it gets a bit boring on this forum everyother post being about how crap MINI's are when actualy if people looked into it, looked at the facts and figures then they would see there actualy a very good car with a fantastic starting point for a engine, and with the current prices you can get a S engine for there a absalute steel!

Im sorry if i have put my point across agressively before hand its jsut as above the whole MINI's are crap thing is a bit boring.

Also i would love to see a BHP graph for that K series because if that has been done it is a amazing acheivement.

And last of all im already a Turbo Mini's member, and have been several years..

EDIT: Oh and, after 2004 they upped the BHP of the Cooper S, so that was the slightly slower one.

I so see what you mean about the 17's though, althou the basic MINI One's come on 14" steels i belive (posibly 15"s) although the S doesn't use the same box im not sure on the difference's in the gear ratios, you could always swap back to the ONE/Cooper box, dont need 6speed in the classic mini anyway!

Edited by insamoufonyx, 17 March 2009 - 06:45 PM.

#39 mini_surfari

mini_surfari

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 07:07 PM

Also i would love to see a BHP graph for that K series because if that has been done it is a amazing acheivement.

This car was featured in one of miniworlds dyno shoot outs (ill try and find the issue), and wil is right, so he's not just going on to forums 'typing facts'.

Also I'm a member on Turbominis, and wil knows his stuff, with his 998 turbo, so your basically telling him to suck eggs.

Edited by mini_surfari, 17 March 2009 - 07:07 PM.

#40 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts
  • Local Club: 16vMini club

Posted 17 March 2009 - 07:59 PM

This car was featured in one of miniworlds dyno shoot outs

Its in the Dec '08 issue with the totally trick orange turbo on the front

I wont post up the page as I'm not sure if its allowed?

#41 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:27 PM

As I have pointed out I am not MINI bashing at all. Quite the opposite. I like the new MINI as a car and am currently looking into buying one for my wife. I was however a little dissapointed with the S that I drove at the weekend, I thought that they would have a better low and midrange pull.

I'm just not convinced that the engine is A) Amazing, when compared to other modern engines and B) suitable for a transplant into a classic mini.

We'll never agree.

#42 MRA

MRA

Previously known as 'mra-minis.co.uk'.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,607 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 03:12 AM

Hi guys,

Just to give you some info on the K series......... Rover did some tests with a 1.4 K turboed to 200BHP (flywheel) after the equivalent of 50,000 miles they canned the project, reliability was not the issue and the car was fresh off the production line with only the required changes to add the turbo ie, spark plug grade, inlet, exhaust manifold etc etc.... no bottom end changes were done !!

Ok its not quite 300 BHP... but it would be interesting to see it on a circuit >_<

On the subject of BMW Mini, it would appear that they need a "kick" to get going but once they are spinning the ines that I have driven have been very interesting, however I still won't swap one for my 1380 Turbo Min >_<

Edited by mra-minis.co.uk, 20 March 2009 - 03:15 AM.

#43 maph2

maph2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Local Club: Poor Boys Warwick

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:20 PM

one of the problems is getting hold of MINI engines cheaply for transplant. when i picked up my last cat D car from the salvage yard, it was full of complete MINI's. the guy said that if they get a minor-moderate front impact , the blocks are usually damaged. so the vast majority are unfit to sell on as complete units.

#44 StaffordSi

StaffordSi

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:52 PM

Wil, I a having difficulties putting across my point in a constructive manner because it gets a bit boring on this forum everyother post being about how crap MINI's are when actualy if people looked into it, looked at the facts and figures then they would see there actualy a very good car with a fantastic starting point for a engine, and with the current prices you can get a S engine for there a absalute steel!

Ditto, a highly tunable engine that maintains a flat torque curve and gives decent driveability? I'm sure I'd want a VTec over that

I so see what you mean about the 17's though, althou the basic MINI One's come on 14" steels i belive (posibly 15"s) although the S doesn't use the same box im not sure on the difference's in the gear ratios, you could always swap back to the ONE/Cooper box, dont need 6speed in the classic mini anyway!

The 6 speed box's are quite high geared in 1st, 2nd & 3rd anyway so it would make it about right for a classic mini. The 5 speed box's are just plain crap from what I've heard

#45 insamoufonyx

insamoufonyx

• Members
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:45 PM

Ditto, a highly tunable engine that maintains a flat torque curve and gives decent driveability? I'm sure I'd want a VTec over that

The 6 speed box's are quite high geared in 1st, 2nd & 3rd anyway so it would make it about right for a classic mini. The 5 speed box's are just plain crap from what I've heard

I have heard bad things about the 5 speeds i must admit, but i drive a tuned one 140bhp as my daily drive and my classic as some fun. my one gearbox has taken the past 18months trashing like trooper! still spot on!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users