shough

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 21 August 2009 - 11:14 AM

I would love to see this being done!!!! :P
I was even thinking abot this the other day. I know many people are not fans of the new mini but i rather like it. Hey, not every one likes brocolli too.
The sound of the new mini appeals to me for some strange reason I love the whir of the supercharger!
Some one please do this!!!! I am a complete dunce when it comes to mechanics but im learning slowly, so maybe in another life time

#62 Phaeton

Phaeton

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 12:34 PM

I thought somebody had tried or at least offered one up, but didn't go through with it as it was too tall, now I may have dreamed all that as I can't find any references to it.

Alan...

#63 minimotor_JD

minimotor_JD

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:41 PM

I'm on a placement at BMW MINI after lots of discussion with various managers that I deal with in the QEC on a day to day basis, its seem that there is no point as the is fact many of the looms will have to be changed thus changing the CVM software which will require the same process as the Megajolt, a whole host of engine bay mods, the front end will have to the changed increasing the overall horizontal length by several mms if not cms.

It also depends on the model, as we know the new MINI (06-on) are turbo charged as standard with 6 gears and no longer supercharged,produces a higher range torque.

The costs of doing this would also be crazy high as new MINI under warranty if the engine is gone, goes back to oxford for analysis if required (I.E. if its a new issue they havent seen on a engine before). It would be quite hard to get your hands onto a second hand engine.

Personally i think you can get more power if that's what your looking for from a different engine I.E. honda vtec conversion.

I love my old skool mini and wouldn't swap it for the world, i driven the JCW and Cooper S they're good fun dont get me wrong, but nothing compares to proper minis, they're the bees knees.

#64 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:38 PM

I actually don't think any of the reasons above are stoppers, all the issues are common when fitting any non-standard ening in a mini. i can't see that wiring and management would be a problem, an engine is an engine, worst case is to bin the lot ans start again, which is still pretty straightforward.

Engines out of crashed minis are available I'm sure, who would buy a bust engine to fit?

I guess if it's too tall an engine it might be a stopper, but nothing is imposible. If the end result is worth while then spending lots and solving lots of problems is a good investment. But in this case my opinion is that there are easier installations with better results.

#65 rick.spi

rick.spi

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts
  • Local Club: "WOT NO BRAKES"

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:45 PM

im giving the thumbs up on the bini engine, good engine, nice to be the first, the asociation between the bini and mini would make it very cool i think, alot of people will be sour about the idea because they dont like bini's but there a good engine! would be cooler than a vtec as its a mini engined mini! love the idea lol :P

#66 skaterava

skaterava

• Members
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:20 PM

I think its heresy and a complete disregard for Mini heritage,but hey whatever floats your boat :P

#67 rick.spi

rick.spi

• Members
  • 1,686 posts
  • Local Club: "WOT NO BRAKES"

Posted 21 August 2009 - 08:47 PM

I think its heresy and a complete disregard for Mini heritage,but hey whatever floats your boat :D

its less of a disrespect than a vtec or motorbike engine! :thumbsup: mini engined mini. GO FOR IT! WILL BE AMAZING.

ignore all the sour bini haters.

Edited by rick.spi, 21 August 2009 - 08:48 PM.

#68 The Colonel

The Colonel

Previously known as Jackhammer

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Local Club: setting up my own one

Posted 31 December 2009 - 01:15 PM

as much as i dont like the BINI i think this would be a worth while converson to do because its hardly been done although vtec's are better

#69 MRA

MRA

Previously known as 'mra-minis.co.uk'.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,607 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 03:53 PM

Certain models of the BMW Mini have better gear ratio's much more suited to the smaller wheels than say a Vtec of Vauxhall unit :P

#70 DannyTip

DannyTip

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts
  • Local Club: A Series Magpies

Posted 31 December 2009 - 05:00 PM

There's lots of talk in here of 'other engines being better for the job' but does anyone have any actual examples?

Yes there's B16/18's and Red top's and what not but supplies of them are starting to dwindle (Im trying to find a B16A2 for a reasonable price currently and it aint happening)

Does anyone have an example of an engine thats readily available and still in production?

Edited by DannyTip, 31 December 2009 - 05:03 PM.

#71 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 05:12 PM

There's lots of talk in here of 'other engines being better for the job' but does anyone have any actual examples?

Yes there's B16/18's and Red top's and what not but supplies of them are starting to dwindle (Im trying to find a B16A2 for a reasonable price currently and it aint happening)

Does anyone have an example of an engine thats readily available and still in production?

give watsons a call i no they have one or did a few months ago as i gave it them

#72 The Colonel

The Colonel

Previously known as Jackhammer

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Local Club: setting up my own one

Posted 01 January 2010 - 12:54 AM

dude if you think vtec's are in ration supplies your an moron you dont know where to look

#73 Trail of Dead

Trail of Dead

taught his mini only to kill those who deserve it....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • Local Club: East Coast Mini Club

Posted 01 January 2010 - 05:30 AM

Yeah, there is PLENTY of VTECs of all shapes and sizes to choose from. There was guy local to me that just sold a Honda Prelude with an H22 for $350! (216.43GBP) For the whole car! It ran well, only needed a CV joint. The engines that are becoming troublesome to find in good shape are the C20XE/C20LETs. I have one but am having a heck of a time finding a cylinder head and a few other bits to rebuild it. It seems all the Redtops have had the snot run out of them and almost always need a rebuild to be anything worthwhile. I'm almost half tempted to switch the plan from Redtop and go VTEC instead ONLY because it will be going back to the states with me. VTECs and their parts are highly abundant there, Redtops.....well barely anyone even knows what "Vauxhall" even is. :P

As for the idea of swapping in a BINI engine. Do it! If it is taller than just run a huge cowl on the bonnet.

#74 Grahamxx

Grahamxx

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 01:07 PM

As I have pointed out I am not MINI bashing at all. Quite the opposite. I like the new MINI as a car and am currently looking into buying one for my wife. I was however a little dissapointed with the S that I drove at the weekend, I thought that they would have a better low and midrange pull.

I'm just not convinced that the engine is A) Amazing, when compared to other modern engines and B) suitable for a transplant into a classic mini.

We'll never agree.

Like you say, you'll never get 100% agreement. I have a 260bhp BMW mini Cooper S tuned my West Tuning and has been totally reliable, I do track days and hill climb days with no problem, because it’s been tuned by the right people. I've driven a 400bhp BMW mini cooper S that been convertered to turbo charged, and wow what a car that was it running under a 1000kgs too. I'm currently converting my wife's classic mini to run a M45 supercharger, so watch this space

Graham
www.grsmotorsport.co.uk

#75 DannyTip

DannyTip

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts
  • Local Club: A Series Magpies

Posted 01 January 2010 - 06:15 PM

dude if you think vtec's are in ration supplies your an moron you dont know where to look

Bit uncalled for mate. If your so clever then where do you look? I want a B16a2 in a complete car so either a civic vti / crx vti.

Edited by DannyTip, 01 January 2010 - 06:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users