313 replies to this topic

#61 mini_turbo_pete

mini_turbo_pete

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:46 PM

There are actually people thick enough to cut the springs on their cars to lower them! They have no idea how unsafe they have made their vehicle, how much risk they put on others around them.

Well i must be very *melonsing* thick then as i cut the springs on my Polo... so please explain why my car is unsafe and hoe much risk i have put others in around me.. don't forget you don't know all the facts!!

#62 roberts

roberts

Optimise Automotive

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:49 PM

I modified my mini because........ my 1996 Mini Equinox was crap!! And please do read on for my justification :w00t:

When I bought the Mini (about a month short of my 17th birthday) it was all the things below:

1) slow
2) and didn't stop
3) had a tape player accompanied by speakers that distorted even if the volume was low
4) I had to use a key to open my door, what's that all about??
5) I had to wind a funny thing round to open my window
6) it had no dashboard
7) it had no centre console
8) you couldn't use the boot
9) it looked old fashioned
10) it had shopping trolley wheels
11) the headlights were about as useful as candles
12) etc. etc. ect.

It's now (7 years later) none of the above and a lot better for it!!!

that my good friend is why I modify my Mini!! :dontgetit:

#63 cap'n crunch

cap'n crunch

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts
  • Local Club: .

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:56 PM

I'm 20 and have modified my mini quite alot, why? Because i can and because i want to.

I do it to make it faster, safer, easier to use, handle better etc. And there is also the enjoyment of being able to do it myself and learning about cars. I can look at it and think i did that, whether is fitting new brakes, grinding in valves or renovating a set of wheels. There is a sense of achievement.

As for why have performance mods and put different engines in, for me that is like asking why buy a porsche or a ferrari. The answer: because it is fast(er)

#64 GoonerMini

GoonerMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:59 PM

My Mini is turbo'd it's fast, it's low, it's loud, it's got custom paintwork, it reflects me i like to stand out in a crowd,

and it's off the road :w00t:

#65 cookie4343

cookie4343

**Caution: Do Not Feed Alcohol**

• Traders
  • 2,257 posts
  • Local Club: CV1 Mini's

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:59 PM

Im 22 and own 2 minis, a 1979 and a 1990 mafair. The 1979 one is my daily and i like it looking the part, and loads of old and young people comment on how nice it is, they dont say oh no thats not original.
My 1990 mafair will be totaly modified when its done, This is because i follow my dreams, not what other people think.
Young people modify minis to make them look more sporty and updated, and as for unsafe mods, mini dealers would,nt sell things like hi lo,s, coilover suspension setups, big a** wheels, wide arches, roll cages, bucket seats, harnesses and so on if they wernt safe.
And as for big a** sound sytems and loud backboxes your sort of grow out of them eventually.
P.s No modifcations are dangerous, as long as there done right.

Edited by cookie4343, 20 February 2009 - 04:03 PM.

#66 mini_turbo_pete

mini_turbo_pete

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 04:00 PM

My Mini is turbo'd it's fast, it's low, it's loud, it's got custom paintwork, it reflects me i like to stand out in a crowd,

and it's off the road :w00t:

true..lol

#67 chappy

chappy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 04:02 PM

Very interesting topic
I dont know why people would take offences over a opinion of a person they dont know....

After all everyone has their own tastes....

I dislike such things as body kits and bore exhausts and putting silly engines in....

so everyone is allowed an opinion...

do that make my opinion is silly? i'd like to uprate my engine at some point. am i silly too?

i don't think people are being offended as such, but instead of putting silly engines, why not just 'engines' on their own. because in a sense, your saying that someone opinion to mod their car is silly.

#68 Nicole88

Nicole88

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 04:16 PM

Very interesting topic
I dont know why people would take offences over a opinion of a person they dont know....

I dislike such things as body kits and bore exhausts and putting silly engines in....

do that make my opinion is silly? i'd like to uprate my engine at some point. am i silly too?

i don't think people are being offended as such, but instead of putting silly engines, why not just 'engines' on their own. because in a sense, your saying that someone opinion to mod their car is silly.

no, as that is my opinion which i am entitled to
im not saying that people that want a different engine are silly
i just think that putting motorbike engine in (for example) is silly
as what is wrong which a mini engine.

#69 mini_turbo_pete

mini_turbo_pete

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 04:26 PM

To be honest - if I had my way, I would make insurance premuims MASSIVE for anyone that puts aftermarket non standard parts on their car.

so people put aftermarket alarms and immobilisers on there cars to stop theives and you'll charge them extra because their car is modified.. that sounds a bit silly to me..

#70 mighty mini jack

mighty mini jack

Mighty Before a Pint

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,095 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 04:28 PM

To be honest - if I had my way, I would make insurance premuims MASSIVE for anyone that puts aftermarket non standard parts on their car.

so people put aftermarket alarms and immobilisers on there cars to stop theives and you'll charge them extra because their car is modified.. that sounds a bit silly to me..

Well put :w00t:

#71 Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,889 posts
  • Local Club: LCMOC

Posted 20 February 2009 - 04:29 PM

i really think that anyone who believes a car should stay in concours condition and be used day in day out should look out the window and realise the times we live in

aftermarket parts are cheaper, more reliable in many cases and having a one of a kind car is more than a hobby its an obsession

i feel really strongly when people tar all young people who modify cars as boy racers it bloody stupid

yes the car may be modified to go faster, and look more impressive but saying insurance companies should put prices up even higher for modified car should realise the reason for modifing cars is because we can always insure or affoard our dream cars so find a reasonable car and modify from there

if it wasnt for modifying minis and making them more idividual i wouldnt have bothered buying one end of the day personal choice but please dont pigeon holes modified cars as boy racers im 21 and ive modifed every car ive owned i may add tastefully

i have about 500 photos of my cars past and present so please remeber that not everyone is a boy racer ive had my 2.0 fiesta and now i chose to get an old mini instead !!

#72 mini_turbo_pete

mini_turbo_pete

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 04:32 PM

Very interesting topic

no, as that is my opinion which i am entitled to
im not saying that people that want a different engine are silly
i just think that putting motorbike engine in (for example) is silly
as what is wrong which a mini engine.

It's not reliable power anything over 100bhp starts to become unreliable, yeah i got over 200bhp out of my mini engine the engine was fine but my straight cut box didn't like it as it only lasted about 500 miles at that power. something like a honda 1.6 vtec standard 160bhp it's reliable, drive it as hard as you like and not have any problems with it or the gearbox.

#73 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 04:41 PM

You'l obviously get the people from CorsaSportUk that'l buy a mini knowing nothing about its history or the history of the car in general and will modify it like they would a corsa, saxo etc, but i think most of the people on here Appretiate the history of the mini and everything it acheived, which is why alot of the cars are standard. Having modified minis etc on here is fantastic to though, you wouldnt want to go to a mini show and see All original Minis would you? You'd go somewhere like Gaydon to see those, so really i think your posting this on the wrong forum.

I'l Be keeping all my minis standard :w00t: One Day i want To own an 848Mk1, thats my dream :dontgetit: i dont care how fast they are, a mini is a mini to me and i love them however, as you can see from my bedroom, :D
In saying that though, i do one day hope to race mini se7ens, in 2 seasons time to be exact, the cars are modified to quite a large extent, but its Miglia and se7en racing that helped make the mini what it is, the same as autograss and Rallying.

Posted Image

#74 mister bridger

mister bridger

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 04:44 PM

I love to see all the modded mini's - tasteful or not. It makes my bog standard mk3 stand out!

#75 lance

lance

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 04:48 PM

im 16 and i think anyone who even owns a mini should have credit for that at a young age, because they are propper cars, unlike typical saxos etc that everyone has, yes my mini has 13" wheels, yes my mini has a fairly good sound system. so what?? does this mean i have `ruined` my mini?? i dont think so, i have just modified it to my own taste. and i also think this is a pointless and rather bitchy thread, everyone should just respect others that have different tastes, without them the world would be the same and very dull. my rant is over .. LOOL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users