276 replies to this topic

#226 jayare

jayare

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 02:35 PM

You'll have to chuck a load of stuff out to make up for all that ironwork!

JR

#227 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:28 PM

aye, heavy seats being replaced, alloy tank, recessed rear floor in 1mm steel, polycarb windows, weight out of doors, rears seats / buckets, tempted with a FG boot but not yet, and maybe a FG / carbon roof planned. Should get a little bit of weight out? lol =p

There is a fair but of weight to the cage, but i think the seats, metal out for cage, doors, and windows alone might compensate.

#228 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:29 PM

getting ur flap on with doors like mine eh?

#229 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:32 PM

nah, drilling like mad, but then swaging to get the strength back, will take alot longer but think itll be worth it. Not quite as light as yours but 80% there i wreckon!

#230 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:36 PM

i was thinking about getting some new ones lightening them in a similar way but get some bars to cross over then just fit FG door cards so u dont see them

#231 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:43 PM

aye, i think the swaging should give more than enough strength, did it on tester pieces and could believe how strong it was, win!

#232 mighty mini jack

mighty mini jack

Mighty Before a Pint

• Members
  • 5,095 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 06:18 PM

Cage looks like its gonna be fun to weld :lol:|

Got the engine in yet? Oh wait.... you're not tom!

#233 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:24 PM

Reeeeto

Had a ruined thread in one of the camshaft caps (the thread is for a bolt that holds the camcover on) so took the cover off and helicoiled the cap, problemo solved!...

...but while the camcover was off it was looking a bit tired, and also had some bosses and clips i didnt want, so cut and dye grinded them off, painted it, shot blasted the bolts to silver them up again, and 400gritted the washers to shine everything up :D

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

bonnet is to be fixed tomorrow, woop

#234 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:04 PM

Right then! southern mini days show was a good laugh, however took a mate (mike) out for a blast on the third day and heard a clunk click whiiinneneee, so pulled over to investigate, saw a clip had undone on the cambelt cover, so thought nothing of it, clicked it back in and carried on, whine gone! After taking dan and some others out on the sunday i heard a bit of a strange noise coming from the cambelt cover so pulled the top off to investigate, looking down into it saw this had happened to the cambelt:

Posted Image

not nice, on pulling the whole cover off found a bolt and a piece of cylinder head in the bottom by the crank cambelt pulley. Turns out the bolt was one which held the cam cover on, it had come undone, gone into the inlet cam pulley, chipped the cylinder head (no propper damage), then the bolt and cylinder head piece ran inbetween both cam pulleys and the belt, then to the bottom, in doing this caused the damage to the belt and some big dents in the pulleys as seen below (after id filed the flat in a field in kent!)

Posted Image

Hard to see, but there is damage to most of the teeth, anyway, in a field, did the cambelt change, filed the pulleys til they were safe and started it up, could see the inlet cam pulley had a bit of a wonk on while spinning due to the bolt going behind it and bending it, but thought aslong as i drove at low revs on the way home it would be fine. Must say though, i got a new bolt from smithys bits while at the show he donated to the cause, so thanks for that :thumbsup: alot of people that day like mike, martin, neil, burney and loads more who helped save my bacon!

Posted Image

Above is the bits i found in the cambelt!

Today went to the scrappy to get some more pulleys, got them, then screamed at home when i realised that one of the timing lugs had snapped off the exhaust cam pulley, so had to get it on the lathe and get rid of them.

Posted Image

Heres the two pulleys i bought from the scrappy, with one broken lug :dontgetit:

Posted Image

Got it all centred up with the gauge to get the best balance.

Posted Image

Lugs just ended off, then obviously face them off nice and flat, better surface finish.

Posted Image

All sprayed up (light coat of zinc and black) and the lugs faced, sprayed the inlet pulley too, but has no timing lugs.

Posted Image

With bolt and washed (shot blasted bolty loveliness :unsure:) And a sneeky look at my massive trumpets in the background =p (cheers lee)

Posted Image

All on, spin true... then found that the water pump that id bought (old one needs replacing as the bolt when into it a ruined the bearing) was a nasty copy, and not man enough for the 16v, worried about cooling issues and high revs, so i shall buy a new one tomorrow morning.

On the good side... this turned up today:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Cheeeeeeerrrrsssss,

Al

#235 HARBER07

HARBER07

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,498 posts
  • Local Club: Naaa......

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:15 PM

Lucky man :unsure:

#236 jayare

jayare

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:11 PM

Never would have happened if you'd left the cover off like you were going to! :P

Lucky you didn't end up with a wrecked engine!

JR

#237 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:15 PM

lol, ironic aint it jayare! you at MITP by the way?

Im very lucky indeed / unlucky, cant work it out yet, lol!

#238 mike174

mike174

BH2N Big Cheese

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:20 PM

Glad its all sorted now alex. Think you should take me up the strip at mitp though with you now :P

Mike

#239 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:24 PM

lol, nahhhh =p

#240 GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey

Has Ratchet, Will Make Noises

• Members
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:25 PM

Hope you bought some lottery tickets that day, luck was on your side!

Edited by GreaseMonkey, 10 August 2010 - 09:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users