#47 UK RUSS 1960 OLDS

UK RUSS 1960 OLDS

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:59 AM

Hi All,

I have read the whole of this thread and would like to point out that the altering of the monocoque automaticaly loses you the right to the ID for that vehicle, in this instance the 5 points don't even come into it.

Take a bog standard Mini of any age cut the bulkhead to fit a twin choke webber you lose the ID, fit a flip front you lose the ID, give it a roof chop you lose the ID.

There were exceptions to this if you go far enough back in time, pre 1983 submit it for inspection and if approved you could retain the ID as in the case of Neil Fenn or it could be reregistered as being a new car on the date of inspection. Post 1983 and pre 1998 if it passed inspection you should have been issued with a Q-reg if it passed inspection. Post 1998 should go for IVA, SVA, or BIVA depending on when it was done.

I now digress slightly but i think you will all see the relevance shortly. Under the new FIVA proposals a lot of your cars that don't already will fall into the Historic Vehicle class very shortly or in due course. The new proposals are that all vehicles will become classed as Historic when they reach their 30th birthday. (This is a rolling date so if it was employed today any vehicle built before 31st May 1981 would now be Historic.)

If/when the FIVA passport is rolled out for Historic vehicles as it already is in Germany how many of you think your car would qualify for a passport.

Here is a link to the application form, take the time to look at it and read it thoroughly and also bear in mind the passport will not be issued until the vehicle has been inspected.

http://fbhvc.co.uk/f...-5-Jan-2011.pdf

Cheers.

Russ.

#48 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,409 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:06 AM

Hi All,

I have read the whole of this thread and would like to point out that the altering of the monocoque automaticaly loses you the right to the ID for that vehicle, in this instance the 5 points don't even come into it.

Take a bog standard Mini of any age cut the bulkhead to fit a twin choke webber you lose the ID, fit a flip front you lose the ID, give it a roof chop you lose the ID.

Modifying the monocoque may lose its points and require an IVA, but it's far from clear what will be regarded as a structural modification, that's a judgement we have to make for ourselves. The DVLA can't & won't tell you, and there's no history - though this forum will be very interested to hear from anyone who has been called for an inspection by the DVLA.

There were exceptions to this if you go far enough back in time, pre 1983 submit it for inspection and if approved you could retain the ID as in the case of Neil Fenn or it could be reregistered as being a new car on the date of inspection. Post 1983 and pre 1998 if it passed inspection you should have been issued with a Q-reg if it passed inspection. Post 1998 should go for IVA, SVA, or BIVA depending on when it was done.

Thanks to the Human Rights Act, a new regulation, such as IVA, can never be applied retrospectively. If the work was done before the regulation existed (1998) then you don't need it tested.

I now digress slightly but i think you will all see the relevance shortly. Under the new FIVA proposals a lot of your cars that don't already will fall into the Historic Vehicle class very shortly or in due course. The new proposals are that all vehicles will become classed as Historic when they reach their 30th birthday. (This is a rolling date so if it was employed today any vehicle built before 31st May 1981 would now be Historic.)

If/when the FIVA passport is rolled out for Historic vehicles as it already is in Germany how many of you think your car would qualify for a passport.

Here is a link to the application form, take the time to look at it and read it thoroughly and also bear in mind the passport will not be issued until the vehicle has been inspected.

http://fbhvc.co.uk/f...-5-Jan-2011.pdf

Cheers.

Russ.

There's no indication this will be any more than a voluntary scheme, not least because of article 7 of the HRA, no one should feel under any sort of obligation to pay anyone for a service they may not need or want.

#49 minimissionary

minimissionary

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Local Club: Fylde Mini Club

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:56 PM

I reckon there'll be loopholes. There always are. I'm pretty sure there's hundreds of cars without a cat etc, and I imagine this will only continue with the IVA, assuming it's not immediately obvious to the average road bobby. I'm not worried, especially since my Mini is completely original apart from carpets.

#50 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 06:17 PM

Moved as requested below ;)

Edited by sledgehammer, 13 July 2011 - 07:10 PM.

#51 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,409 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 06:58 PM

This thread was really intended as a faq for general info on IVA - could you open a new topic in Mini chat instead please ;)

#52 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 19 July 2011 - 03:22 PM

I just saw that the person responsible for these forms is Paul Loveridge. Now he is an MSA scrutineer and is also a great Mini enthusiast, so he will be sympathetic to genuine 'period modifications'.
It occurs to me that some 'works' Minis had Weber carbs, so, presumably, they had the bulkhead cut and the 'box' welded in. In order for this to be acceptable in competition, the 'works' would have had to homologate the modification which would have meant that for all practicval purposes the shell is not modified. To check this a copy of the later homologation papers would be needed and mine are for the 1964 car, so I can't help. A call or email to Paul Loveridge would answer the question as I believe his son rallies a Mini with a Weber.
It is worth checking though.

#53 StageOne

StageOne

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:06 PM

I've only just read this thread and to say i'm crapping myself is an understatement :lol:.

The Clubman I bought just last week has a a box cut out for Weber carbs, is semi-space framed, has coilovers on the rear and a flipfront. Do I stand any chance of getting it on the road? :)

#54 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 21 July 2011 - 06:27 AM

if a Z cars conversion can pass a BIVA test then there is no reason with some work yours can't

#55 StageOne

StageOne

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 12:22 PM

if a Z cars conversion can pass a BIVA test then there is no reason with some work yours can't

Ok cool - only thing is, I'm not sure when all the work was done on the car and whether that work predates the IVA & SVA regulations. Surely the DVLA would have to prove that the modifications were done *after* 1998? Gah, so much unnecessary rubbish!

#56 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 03:08 PM

Surely the DVLA would have to prove that the modifications were done *after* 1998? Gah, so much unnecessary rubbish!

98 where did you get that date it's some time around 83 the rules came into force

#57 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,409 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 03:27 PM

The date's from me, but it was a quick google, isn't it 83 that Q plates came in, but 98 for SVA?

I'd still say the likelihood of getting pulled is slim if it's based on one car, and safe, with no advantage to fiddling them, like cheapy road tax.

#58 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:32 PM

on the ACE web site it states the modified monocoque rules are now 27 years old (written last year)

#59 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,409 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 11:34 AM

It's typical of the "fog" legislation creates, no one has a vested interest in clearing it, so it lingers forever.

There will have been a specification back in 83 to say when you needed a Q plate. Just afterwards some enterprising individual offered a kit to turn your Mini into a Sprite lookalike by slicing the top off and bonding on a fibreglass shell. The big selling point was it avoided Q plate stigma, unlike other kitcars that didn't retain the "chassis".

Posted Image

Of course the DVLA soon cottoned on and changed their rules, but they can only hold you to account by the regulations that applied when you made the modifications. It's a real pea-souper.

"Public Interest" ought to be the test before they spend taxpayers' dosh trying curtail your taste for unconventional motorcar ownership.

#60 haggz

haggz

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 06:31 PM

what about just an engine change. i bought mine without an engine and just put a 1ltr metro lump back in. passed mot this year. am i ok

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users