#1 cbyrne

cbyrne

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Local Club: irishminis.ie

Posted 11 August 2009 - 10:17 AM

hi can any one tell me can a spi be remaped? im looking for more mid-high end torque :thumbsup:

Edited by cbyrne, 11 August 2009 - 10:18 AM.

#2 andatche

andatche

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 10:34 AM

In short, no. The standard Rover MEMS ECU is non-programmable. The easiest and cheapest way to gain a little extra performance is with the fitting of a "stage 1" kit. Basically an improved air filter, LCB exhaust manifold and free flowing exhaust. For greater improvements (with greater cost) you could look at a sportier cam, improved cylinder head, overbore etc.

#3 cbyrne

cbyrne

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 10:48 AM

i was looking at a fast road/rally cam but intend on building the engine a little first was told to remove the L bracket on the throttle body it allowes the butter fly to open more so more air flow but i have not herd of any one doing this??

#4 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 10:53 AM

Fit a stg 1 kit and do some porting to the cyl head, as the spi head is very restrictive.
Even thou that ecu isnt re-mappable, i think someone on here had a crack with it.

#5 cbyrne

cbyrne

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:01 AM

any idea where be best to get a head from? i am waiting for my maniflow med bore to come in the post and have a k&n air filter in the car. jus picked up full roll cage:-)

#6 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:13 PM

i was looking at a fast road/rally cam but intend on building the engine a little first was told to remove the L bracket on the throttle body it allowes the butter fly to open more so more air flow but i have not herd of any one doing this??

There is no 'L' bracket to remove on the SPi. The throttle opens fully as it is. >_<

#7 cbyrne

cbyrne

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:34 PM

would a stage 3 head with 1.5.1 roller rockers be a bit much?

#8 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 10:04 PM

would a stage 3 head with 1.5.1 roller rockers be a bit much?

A bit much for what?

#9 NATHAN1275

NATHAN1275

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Local Club: British mini club

Posted 12 August 2009 - 08:18 PM

Have a look at the website CALVERS corner. Im looking in to tuning my spi cooper. Basicly the spi ecu can not be tuned but it does have a wide operating range. It will cope with what Calver calls a "gsi" level of tuning. Have a look on his web site but i think the gsi level is a Moded head, rockers, air filter, lcb, and back box retaining the cat.

#10 rick.spi

rick.spi

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts
  • Local Club: "WOT NO BRAKES"

Posted 12 August 2009 - 08:41 PM

There is no 'L' bracket to remove on the SPi. The throttle opens fully as it is. >_<

mine had an L bracket, i bent it out the way and it didnt work as the throttle went too fat over and locked itself on lol, only thing to do is saw it thinner so it will open slightly more and not jam on.

when you take the air filter off you can see that the body dosnt open anywhere near full as standard!

#11 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:35 PM

Are we talking spi or mpi, as I can asure you the throttle opens fully on the spi without modification

#12 rick.spi

rick.spi

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts
  • Local Club: "WOT NO BRAKES"

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:43 PM

Are we talking spi or mpi, as I can asure you the throttle opens fully on the spi without modification

i can asure you it dosnt and if i remember ill take a picture of it to show you my cut down L braket, and even down the bore of the body to show its still dosnt open quite fully. >_<

Edited by rick.spi, 12 August 2009 - 09:43 PM.

#13 cbyrne

cbyrne

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 02:36 PM

did any one ever bore out the throttle body im trying to find a bigger bore with no restrction.O_O)

Edited by cbyrne, 13 August 2009 - 02:37 PM.

#14 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 06:16 PM

These pictures show a standard unmodified linkage, modified larger 44mm throttle body.

You can clearly see that the throttle opens fully without any modification to any bracket O_O

I would be interested to see your pictures :proud:

#15 cbyrne

cbyrne

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:59 AM

it must only be some that dont open fully. did you bore out throttle body your self???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users