39 replies to this topic

#1 PhilipGCaldwell

PhilipGCaldwell

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 06:51 PM

Hello, i have resprayed my mini recently, however, the idiot in the paint shop told me that i could apply the clear lacquer 'as is' (ie, no thinners), i took his learned advice and now my mini looks the texture of orange peel, it is also 3 days ago i sprayed it and its still not hardened properly (after readin the instructions it advises thinnig 2:1)!!!what i want to kno is, will the lacquer harden and is it possible to sand lacquer then re apply??please help as i spent a mammoth amount of time doing body prep and i dont want to do it all again because of poor advice.It is UPOL lacquer
HElp help help
Phil

#2 cookie4343

cookie4343

**Caution: Do Not Feed Alcohol**

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • Local Club: CV1 Mini's

Posted 26 October 2009 - 06:58 PM

Did you use hardener in the lacquer, if so it should have hardend by know, also when it does harden properly you can flat it with 1000-1500 grit wet and dry
then mop it back up to a shine with g3 and g10.

#3 PhilipGCaldwell

PhilipGCaldwell

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:01 PM

no, there was no hardener with it, just came in 1 tin (upol)

#4 PhilipGCaldwell

PhilipGCaldwell

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:12 PM

it is a blue tin, upol system 20

#5 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:15 PM

Who ever told you that is a tool.

2:1 on the tin refers to the ratio of laquer to hardener and as it is 2:1 it will likely be High solids so is advised 10% thinner on top.

Your laquer will never go hard without hardener so your in a mess.

Im not sure what route I would take with this.. the only thing I can think of it some very thick rubber gloves, a 25 litre container of cheap cellulose thinner, alot of thick clean rag and get it all off. You wont even be able to sand it off.

PS sorry to tell you the bad news.

Edited by jack_marshall, 26 October 2009 - 07:16 PM.

#6 PhilipGCaldwell

PhilipGCaldwell

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:24 PM

i cant tell you how much i am gunna give them an ear bashing.they just gave me 2 tins of the lacquer instead of 1 tin hardener and 1 tin lacquer.ARGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH, they are supposed to be a professional outfit!OMG i spent a fortune in there aswell!!!My advice is NEVER USE AUTOPAINT INTERNATIONAL OF ST HELENS!

#7 PhilipGCaldwell

PhilipGCaldwell

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:27 PM

thanks for the bad news jack, haha.Dont kno if u kno, but if i do it with the cellulose, will this affect the topcoat underneath??will it just take the lacauer off??

#8 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:00 PM

Not sure I understand what you mean with the cellulose?

I'd stick with the 2k its a modern paint with alot of benefits over cellulose, you've just been advised badly.

#9 PhilipGCaldwell

PhilipGCaldwell

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:10 PM

sorry, i mean if i use cellulose thinners, as u advise, to clean the lacquer off, will this affect the topcoat of colour underneath?

#10 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:18 PM

read instructions they are on the tin, you will be doing the job all again because if you use thinners to take the laquer off the base coat will come off too

dave

#11 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:19 PM

Yes it will. You'll need to remove all of the lacquer and start again. If you have used 2k laqcuer with no hardener, it will never dry, and will cause bad chemical recations if you try applying anything over it, so you must remove all of it. 2k lacquer should be mixed 2 parts lacquer to 1 parts hardener, with 10 to 20% thinners. Cellulose lacquer should be mixed 50:50 with thinners, no hardener needed.

#12 PhilipGCaldwell

PhilipGCaldwell

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:26 PM

excuse me while i go cry.I am actually considering selling it now, it took me about 50 hours of body prep to spray it and i cant be bothered doing it again.hopefully the paint shop will pay for it in a perfect world as they didnt provide the hardener ( i did ask them for "everything to repsray a car") and they told me to use it 'as is'.I didnt read the instructions cause i trusted the advice of a so called professional, may this be a lesson to us all.

#13 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:30 PM

well sleep on it and talk to them in the morning, if its a solid good mini and thats what you want then re-do it, and enjoy the results, as it will be worth the work

dave

#14 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,129 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:32 PM

If you're gonna re-do it in celluose then it may be worth considering using a sealer such as "Barcoat" to prevent future reactions?

#15 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:34 PM

excuse me while i go cry.I am actually considering selling it now, it took me about 50 hours of body prep to spray it and i cant be bothered doing it again.hopefully the paint shop will pay for it in a perfect world as they didnt provide the hardener ( i did ask them for "everything to repsray a car") and they told me to use it 'as is'.I didnt read the instructions cause i trusted the advice of a so called professional, may this be a lesson to us all.

I doubt very much they will do anything to reimburse you, but as Autopaint has alot of branches all over the country. I would make a complaint to their head office about the bad advice you've been given and what it has caused. See if you get a response.

Edited by RacingGreen, 26 October 2009 - 08:34 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)