#1 benpopham

benpopham

The Carbon Weezel

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 06:39 PM

Hey
Thought I would start a thread as I am about to begin a long awaited engine build for my project car.

The spec is as follows:
998cc Block + 0.80'' Pocketed
Knife-edged, wedged and balanced crank
Lighted bigends on rods
compression ratio of 10.75:1
Minispares +0.80'' Mega type flat top pistons
MRA Minis modified BK450 headgasket
Swiftune 12G940 RR head
3.44 ratio final drive
Minispares EVO Diff
Weber DCOE45 using one side
Swiftune SW10 cam
Swiftune timing gears
Swiftune Straight cut roller drop gears 1:1
Swiftune 1.5 ratio Roller Rockers
MiniSport Ultralight Steel Flywheel
MED X-lite Gold billet back plate
Radtec radiator
AP Racing Orange diaphragm
Maniflow Chrome mini se7en's manifold
Maniflow stage 2 LCB Stainless manifold
Carbon 4 blade Fan
Lightened ISKY cam followers
PoleStar engine management system

Im aiming for 90bhp..

Il take some pictures of everything tomorrow and then try and keep it updated... This will be a long term project!

Ben

Edited by benpopham, 02 April 2011 - 07:27 AM.

#2 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 08:19 PM

Very similar to my spec except for carb, ignition, clutch and spec of head. Are you sure about using a head like that? That sort of spec head is for highly tuned 1275's and might be too much for the small bore. My head is a standard 1275 and drinks fuel but goes like stink :)

#3 liirge

liirge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,097 posts
  • Local Club: EDMC AND MMC

Posted 10 January 2010 - 08:28 PM

Very similar to my spec except for carb, ignition, clutch and spec of head. Are you sure about using a head like that? That sort of spec head is for highly tuned 1275's and might be too much for the small bore. My head is a standard 1275 and drinks fuel but goes like stink :)

This man has a point! the extensive head modifications will go to waste, as a 998 does not have the capacity to take full advantage of that head, and you may find you will loose torque due to this.
Very nice spec though mate, get some piccys up!

#4 benpopham

benpopham

The Carbon Weezel

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:50 PM

Ah.. interesting point there Pooky, all I can say is Iv had quite afew conversations with Swifty and we came to the conclusion that a stage 3 head made specifically to go with my engine and the 7's spec weber would give the best all round power.

At the same time though, I have a spare '940 that I could fit to get a comparison when its up and running... should be interesting.

Will get pictures up soon.

#5 D1k1m4y

D1k1m4y

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:55 PM

i reckon you should get a 1275 and make that get 90bhp probably cheaper.

#6 benpopham

benpopham

The Carbon Weezel

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:58 PM

i reckon you should get a 1275 and make that get 90bhp probably cheaper.

Thanks for that.. I know that its cheaper and easier to make 90bhp from a 1275, done it more than once..

but I would like to do it with a small bore, as it interests me.

Ben

#7 D1k1m4y

D1k1m4y

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:16 PM

hope it goes well man.

#8 jayare

jayare

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 04:33 PM

Is there any reason for using just one side of the Webber? I assume you already have one that's been converted to work on a Mini 7 and the only reason they only use 1 barrel on those is because the regs say they can only use 1 choke. I would think you'd get better results from using all of a 40DCOE with a long manifold. Other than that it sounds great - it'll be a right screamer!

JR

#9 Jonny998cc

Jonny998cc

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 05:10 PM

im all with you on the small bore man. id ruch rather make something of a small bore than have a 1275 its just to easy with a 1275

i have a 998 block+40
early cooper head thats been polished
lightened flywheel and balanced crand and all
atm only on a hs4 but got some twins ready to go on but may put a hif44 on
and a phase 2 morspeed cam
minispot lcb but rekon im gonna get a cooper freeflow:)

good luck with it mate let us know how it goes!

cheers
jonny

Edited by Jonny998cc, 11 January 2010 - 05:12 PM.

#10 benpopham

benpopham

The Carbon Weezel

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 08:04 PM

Is there any reason for using just one side of the Webber? I assume you already have one that's been converted to work on a Mini 7 and the only reason they only use 1 barrel on those is because the regs say they can only use 1 choke. I would think you'd get better results from using all of a 40DCOE with a long manifold. Other than that it sounds great - it'll be a right screamer!

JR

Im using the half a weber purely because I have one and a manifold for it here, and I wanted to see what sort of results it would give, but yes I think you are right, I probably could get better results using a full 40 or 45, but when the engine is up and running Il give it ago.

Just looks abit different :)

#11 jayare

jayare

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 10:42 PM

Thought that may be the case :) - it'll be interesting to see how it does!

If you are considering going to a full 40/45 in the future, don't get the head done with too much of a bias towards the split carb/manifold combo if you are getting it done to your spec.

JR

#12 liirge

liirge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,097 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 11:18 PM

one thing to consider is that, you know that DVD they made about building a 1380...and they got 100Hp and 100Ft. lbs.....think about their spec and then think about yours and what power you want to achieve...i think maybe you might want to reconsider trying to squeeze everything out of that weber...
also your standard mini cooling system in good condition will cope fine, so if you wanted to save money use the standard radiator.

Edited by liirge, 11 January 2010 - 11:24 PM.

#13 benpopham

benpopham

The Carbon Weezel

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 07:45 AM

one thing to consider is that, you know that DVD they made about building a 1380...and they got 100Hp and 100Ft. lbs.....think about their spec and then think about yours and what power you want to achieve...i think maybe you might want to reconsider trying to squeeze everything out of that weber...
also your standard mini cooling system in good condition will cope fine, so if you wanted to save money use the standard radiator.

Yeh Iv got that DVD and have watched it a couple of times... very useful. Im not dead-set on 90bhp on this spec, but would like to achieve it with this engine at some point, so yes.. playing around with different webers will be on the cards.

I know the standard system probably could take the spec with else, but again.. iv got a redtec and it would be a shame to waste it!

Thought that may be the case :) - it'll be interesting to see how it does!

If you are considering going to a full 40/45 in the future, don't get the head done with too much of a bias towards the split carb/manifold combo if you are getting it done to your spec.

JR

I have told Swifty of the plans so they said they would port it so it would work well with both so, should make an interesting rolling road session lol

Ben

#14 liirge

liirge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,097 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 04:07 PM

Ahh fair enough mate, i always like builds that aren't quite top spec thats possible, so there's room for more power at a later stage!!

#15 benpopham

benpopham

The Carbon Weezel

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 04:58 PM

Heres some pictures of a few of the bits...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users