#31 camp freddy

camp freddy

Definitely Not Camp Or A Freddy

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,696 posts
  • Local Club: Wreake Mini Wanderers

Posted 16 January 2010 - 11:28 PM

Surely it's nothing to do with the toothed belt drive. If it was every car with belt driven camshafts would whine, and they don't.

Also, just to poo poo the ideas further, SCs run directly off the crankshaft ala Bently Blower still whine.

Maybe knackerd ones don't whine, because of worn seals or something, I'm just speculating.

Please reas the above again. Howcan the toothed belt be responsible for the whine, it makes no sense.

The belt my dad had was a 3'' wide belt , the super charger was a dummy (no internal vanes)
so it must have been the toothed gears and belt, I'll try and find a vid of a supercharged v8..
http://www.youtube.c...laynext_from=PL

http://www.youtube.c...laynext_from=PL

Yes that sounds like a belt whining, similar to my subaru sounds at tickover, but more obvious. What it dosen't sound like is a supercharger making boost.

Glad you agree with that :D
The actual supercharger would whine due to the tight tollerences of the compressor vanes, may not be noticeable on tick over
or while being rev'd at a stand still,but when under load (being driven/ accelerating) the whine should be more prominent..
a supercharger is always making some boost as it is a direct drive off the crank..

#32 lawnmowercrap

lawnmowercrap

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Local Club: Small 'n' Mighty Mini's

Posted 17 January 2010 - 09:57 AM

If you over tighten a cambelt on a modern car, it will whine.

However, I did not know this is what caused the whine on a charger because if a belt is to tight it can cause premature wear to the charger and to the belt.

I replaced a charger on a VXR8 the other month, and the belt also had to be re-newed. I checked on TIS and the belt tension was the same as most cambelts and alternator belts, 1/2" deflection at the longest point.

Personally, it more than likey is whining. Just very quietly. Look at your intake, its very short so therefor the whine from the charger has no where to resinate or get louder. Think about the BINI, that has a whole intake system to work its way back through!

Lee

#33 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 10:16 AM

If you over tighten a cambelt on a modern car, it will whine.

However, I did not know this is what caused the whine on a charger because if a belt is to tight it can cause premature wear to the charger and to the belt.

Yes the belt will make a noise, but it wont sound like a supercharger.

#34 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 17 January 2010 - 05:27 PM

I recon most of the noise is generated by the way the air is discharged from the supercharger :D

Take for instance an air horn compressor. Now its not a screw compressor, but a rotary vane, however, it makes much in the way of a similar noise to a screw compressor.

#35 AndrewJ530

AndrewJ530

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 02:56 PM

The easisest way to identify where the noise is coming from would be to run the supercharger outside the car. Maybe in a vice with say, a drill attached to the pulley. Something for someone to do in their spare time (if they have any :thumbsup:).

#36 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts
  • Local Club: Club less.....

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:02 PM

I presume the straight cut gears will add to the noise... the charger on my car doesn't produce that sort of sound, it also doesn't have straight cut gears driving the rotors?

#37 massive

massive

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:41 PM

thanks for all the replys
ive listened to it some more and done some drive buys and there is very little whine
still im very happy with it!

#38 ashley00

ashley00

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 03:41 PM

ok here is what i have noticed about minis that are supercharged.the mpi ones whine like buggery like mine ,and carbed ones dont.
the reason i have been told is that the fuel is being sucked directly in with the air on carb and muffles the sound.where as the mpi injected ones are incted mid supercharger and the air is not mixed with fuel and mixes in the manifold more so it make more sound.i know of four including mine,two mpi and two carb the two carb make hardly any sound the 2 mpi whine like a buggery like the bini.not under normal driving but giving it a bit of the ol loud pedal through the gears makes a hell of a racket. not sure if this is any help

#39 Jardo

Jardo

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 08:13 PM

Listen to the whine from the cambelt on my old Mk2 8V....

PS, this thread is comedy gold.

Edited by Jardo, 04 March 2010 - 08:17 PM.

#40 1275 SPRITE

1275 SPRITE

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • Local Club: Wreake Mini Wanderers

Posted 12 March 2010 - 11:48 PM

ok here is what i have noticed about minis that are supercharged.the mpi ones whine like buggery like mine ,and carbed ones dont.
the reason i have been told is that the fuel is being sucked directly in with the air on carb and muffles the sound.where as the mpi injected ones are incted mid supercharger and the air is not mixed with fuel and mixes in the manifold more so it make more sound.i know of four including mine,two mpi and two carb the two carb make hardly any sound the 2 mpi whine like a buggery like the bini.not under normal driving but giving it a bit of the ol loud pedal through the gears makes a hell of a racket. not sure if this is any help

There actually might be some sence in that statement, as blow through charged minis whine alot too. On a blow through the fuel is added after the charger, like the bini, but on a suck through the fuel is already mixed with the air as it passes through the charger. Maybe the fuel in the mix helps lubricate the vanes in the charger reducing the sound a little?, like a diesel pump for example as the diesel lubricates the pump internals.

#41 greenlaner1

greenlaner1

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 09:11 PM

There actually might be some sence in that statement, as blow through charged minis whine alot too. On a blow through the fuel is added after the charger, like the bini, but on a suck through the fuel is already mixed with the air as it passes through the charger. Maybe the fuel in the mix helps lubricate the vanes in the charger reducing the sound a little?, like a diesel pump for example as the diesel lubricates the pump internals.

i very much doubt the fuel would lubricate anything, much the opposite infact

GL1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users