very detailed, good job

#122 a lonely peanut

a lonely peanut

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:18 AM

I love this build thread, top notch work being done, great job.

Sam.

#123 bigcaddy

bigcaddy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:14 PM

I got everything working great.

I have a complete rear brake setup on the way with the one inch drums so I can get rid of these horrid spacers. the car shakes like grandpa jones.

I have just about enough saved for the front disc conversion from seven.

The only issue I'm having now is: when cold the throttle cable is smooth as silk. while I drive it is smooth as silk but once I sit in traffic or after it sits the cable gets tight and choppy. So, it has something to do with heat. It is not very close to the header... maybe two or three inches. I'm thinking of wrapping it in aluminum foil to see if it will disapate the heat. if that works I'll put some type of wrap on it.

If I pullup on the cable at the carbs the linkage seems smooth.

any suggestions?

Ive been busy working on my cabby. had to touch up a section or two of paint. also had the mini out for a drive around the back yard.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by bigcaddy, 06 June 2012 - 12:22 PM.

#124 bigcaddy

bigcaddy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:09 PM

New yummy stuff on it's way. full cooper S disc conversion

I have all new rear parts as well but drums.

Posted Image

#125 bigcaddy

bigcaddy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:37 PM

Finished up the rear brakes. I put the adjusters on the wirewheel and got them working great. New cylinders, drums and shoes.

Took a little pumping to get them bled but they work great so far.

I also got rid of the Ghetto wheel spacers.

Front brake setup should be here soon.

I plan to remove the rear subframe this winter and redo all of it so I'll pass on painting the backing plates until then.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#126 bigcaddy

bigcaddy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:53 PM

I got some goodies in the mail yesterday. I'll be picking up an 1 1/4" socket for the axle bolts. I'll try to get the discs fitted tonight.

I also made up a stainless steel wrap for my radiator since mine has been gone since I've owned it. They want $85.00 for one of these. fug that.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#127 bigcaddy

bigcaddy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:29 PM

Wow, what a nice kit from Seven. Everything I needed was included. They even came preassembled which saved me a ton of time. Everything was greased and ready to roll.

I also ordered new tie rod ends since mine were all bitched up from the air chisel. Bastard getting the one out.

I got all the lines re bled and the pedel feels perfect. I have to move the fleet of cars to get this one out. I have a two hour drive in the mini this weekend so I'm trying to get it ready. It has about 30 miles on the fresh motor so I imagine what ever will happen should have happened. I'm hoping for the best with my throttle cable. Seems good now. I used a VW golf throttle cable and it doesn't bind at all. After trying two brand new mini cables. The VW cable is almost twice the thickness not to mention I have a few of them laying around.

Posted Image

#128 bigcaddy

bigcaddy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:46 PM

I put some miles on her this weekend. We hit the PA turn pike for 180 miles at 70 MPH. The car ran like a top. It's still quite buzzy at those speeds.. Tached at about 4k the whole way. The temps were up a bit closer to the H than I would have liked but it was also about 90* out.

I'm thinking an oil cooler is next to help with the longer highway drives.

#129 minifcd

minifcd

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:06 PM

Great little mini you have there mate. I have followed this for some time now. Its nice to see some interest in minis "over the pond" as they say. Do you have to get your parts from the UK or are some things readily available over there?

#130 bigcaddy

bigcaddy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:44 PM

Thanks,

We have several places that ship from MiniSpares. My differential showed up from MiniSpares in three days. Blew my mind.

THere are plenty of places in California and New York for parts.

We have a lot of Triumph fans around so I usually tag along with them.. The Mini always gets the most attention.

#131 bigcaddy

bigcaddy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:46 PM

On a different note. I"m thinking some different wheels.

I'm leaning towards some 13" wheels. can anyone suggest a proper offset. I don't mind getting larger flares and trimming the fenders (wings)

#132 minifcd

minifcd

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:34 PM

Minispares delivery in 3 days! Thats faster than they deliver to me and i'm only 93 miles (2hours) away and in the same country!

#133 oltonlad

oltonlad

Up Into Fourth

• Banned from Buying/Selling
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:41 PM

On a different note. I"m thinking some different wheels.

I'm leaning towards some 13" wheels. can anyone suggest a proper offset. I don't mind getting larger flares and trimming the fenders (wings)

i would keep the car on 10" wheels personally .... for 2 reasons

1. mini's drive much better on 10" wheels
2. 13" wheels ruin the front wheel bearings and you will be replacing the bearings on a fairly regular basis.

#134 bigcaddy

bigcaddy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:46 PM

understood. I'm on 12"s now. I think I'll just work with the interior for now. I plan to pull the rear subframe once winter comes. I want to run all new fuel and brake lines while I'm underthere. I'll start saving my duckets.

#135 bigcaddy

bigcaddy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:33 PM

Subframe has been put on hold for Hoot. I'm in the process of building a new home.

Anyways... Since I can't put of a wanted ad I'd like to ask for your assistance in locating stuff.

I need a Hella 160 Chrome driving light. we don't have the chrome ones used in the states.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users