Posted Image

#107 bigcaddy

bigcaddy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:18 PM

What a pain in the dik. I hate installing exhausts. I got the RC40 stainless dual side exit DTMs. Looks really sharp.

It came with the exhaust hangers which are ugly as balls so I opted not to use the back one. I have to cut it off.

I got it real tight up against the back of the car. Looks good.

I also installed my Facet Fuel pump/filter. I rigged in a rollover/Impact cutoff switch for the fuel pump. I'll wire that inline along with a toggle switch. (good antitheft device)

I don't have pics yet but I will

the rollover/impact switch is from pretty much any Ford. they are a dime a dozen in junkyards here.

I'm about ready to fire this thing up. Trying to get the damn throttle cable BS figured out.

Posted Image

#108 bigcaddy

bigcaddy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:21 AM

got her fired up tonight at midnight with a shot of stating fluid. then it almost seems like the flywheel is loose. stater cranks it and once you stop you here somethng still spinnng. the crank isn't turning anymore.

is there a shear pin or something?

#109 oltonlad

oltonlad

Up Into Fourth

• Banned from Buying/Selling
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:17 AM

it definetely sounds like the flywheel is loose, you need to take it off and investigate before you bugger up the tail of the crank....did you put the washer behind the crank nut after you had fitted the flywheel................its either that or the washer has been put on the wrong way up and is not locating in the crank properly.............it only fits properly 1 way!

Attached Files

Edited by oltonlad, 21 April 2012 - 08:19 AM.

#110 bigcaddy

bigcaddy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:24 PM

thanks,

the flywheel did come loose. I pulled the end and found the bolt out about 1/3 the way.

My washer is different than that one. It is completely round. My bolt has a washer tack welded to it and you bend it into the notches after it's tight. which I did. This time I tightened it to 160 Ft.LBS and applied locktite from 3M. also pounded the washer into the slots as much as I could.

I got it running last night for about a minute. sounded pretty good. just a little high at idle.

I need to fill the dash pots with oil and I'll try it again tonight. I got 20W motorcycle fork oil. will that work?

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by bigcaddy, 25 April 2012 - 08:29 PM.

#111 oltonlad

oltonlad

Up Into Fourth

• Banned from Buying/Selling
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:35 PM

the washer on the crank is not located properly (in the picture), the cut outs in the flywheel pressure plate should line up with the raised slots on the washer. you will need to get this sorted before damage occurs.

#112 mini_in_progress

mini_in_progress

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:46 AM

i agree mate, here you go.....

Posted Image

tab 1 fits into slot 2

#113 bigcaddy

bigcaddy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:59 PM

ha, yes> I know it's not in the slot in the picture. It was however in the slot when I assembled it as far as I know. I mean I knew that it needed to line up a certain way and it did. But maybe when driving in the bolt in it may have turned.

So far so good.

Thanks

Edited by bigcaddy, 27 April 2012 - 02:17 PM.

#114 mini_in_progress

mini_in_progress

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:05 PM

ha, yes> I know it's not in the slot in the picture. It was however in the slot when I assembled it as far as I know. I mean I knew that it needed to line up a certain way and it did. But maybe when driving in the bold it may have turned.

So far so good.

Thanks

it couldn't be able to turn mate as the washer clips inside and the bolt sits flush, it would have to come loose and turn about 5 turns to come out, id have a look at it mate you really dont want it coming undone.

#115 bigcaddy

bigcaddy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:41 PM

When I reassembled it I got in close with a light and a mirror. It's in the notch like it should be. I've been running the car up and down the road adjusting the carbs.

I'm waiting on air filters, throttle cable so I can get the hood back on.

#116 bigcaddy

bigcaddy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:33 PM

still waiting on parts. friggin two weeks for a set of air cleaners from minimania. LAME

#117 Terry1987

Terry1987

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:33 PM

Very nice collection you have there, love the White "Rabbit" my other half had a Mk1 clipper cabby like yours, loved that thing!

#118 joezone2001

joezone2001

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:34 AM

Great project mate! The paintwork is stunning! I too shake my head at things they used to do to these cars. I have never understood why they did things in such a strange way.. Keep up the good work. Joe

#119 bigcaddy

bigcaddy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:28 AM

Ok SU gurus.

Idles great accelerates great through all the gears but once you ease off the throttle and cruise at any speed it seems to hesitate and miss and run like ass.

Tried 8* advance, 15*advance and no change
Readjusted the carbs many times.

Dual 11/4 SUs

I have added a Pertronix to the distributor thinking the points may have been acting up.
Took the distributor apart and regreased everything

Any ideas?

#120 bigcaddy

bigcaddy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:20 PM

Added red springs
Re sync'd the carbs

runs great now

I just ordered new rear drums, cylinders and shoes

Saving up for the complete drum-disc conversion for the front.

Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users