283 replies to this topic

#16 minimuk

minimuk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:33 PM

I think if you keep the cutting and welding up, you should be ok in 61/2 weeks, keep your optimism high. Have you checked the sill's yet!?

#17 emalee

emalee

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts
  • Local Club: west of england

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:09 PM

I think if you keep the cutting and welding up, you should be ok in 61/2 weeks, keep your optimism high. Have you checked the sill's yet!?

you've gotta have faith!!! LOL

the sills aren't too bad, they are the original ones with a few patches on, nothing major, most of the inner sills are fine too just a few small holes - i'm sure there will be plenty more when the sills come off tho!! LOL

i've done a bit tonight - just cutting the boot floor panels out of new metal - i'm gonna play with the spotwelder tomorrow night - it should save SOOO much time compared to plug welding and grinding back :)

#18 JordanRaisbeck

JordanRaisbeck

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Local Club: NEMC

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:18 PM

looks like a tough call, id say 2 months tops? will be good to see the end result.

#19 olds_kool_lews

olds_kool_lews

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:05 PM

i completely rebuilt mine in just under 4months, that includes respray, welding, filling, sandin, brakes, suspension etc etc etc with determination and hard work youll do it! take a look at the before and after shots of mine! hope it might encourage you to get movin n get it finished! definatly worth the extra effort! good luck!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 eden7842

eden7842

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:40 PM

good progress, i love a good quick turn around :)

keep it up :)

#21 emalee

emalee

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:44 AM

i completely rebuilt mine in just under 4months, that includes respray, welding, filling, sandin, brakes, suspension etc etc etc with determination and hard work youll do it! take a look at the before and after shots of mine! hope it might encourage you to get movin n get it finished! definatly worth the extra effort! good luck!

Posted Image

Posted Image

ermmmm 10" wellers!!!!

and amazing transformation - i'll keep working hard and it will be done :)

#22 minimuk

minimuk

• Members
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:22 PM

the sills aren't too bad, they are the original ones with a few patches on, nothing major, most of the inner sills are fine too just a few small holes - i'm sure there will be plenty more when the sills come off tho!! LOL

i've done a bit tonight - just cutting the boot floor panels out of new metal - i'm gonna play with the spotwelder tomorrow night - it should save SOOO much time compared to plug welding and grinding back :thumbsup:

Origional sills,waw and in good condition,...thats a good buy!! But don't cut out to much in one go,do some bracing first before anymore cutting it could warp a bit. But I am sure you are doing that, do not rush or quick fix, go at a steady planned pace.

#23 olds_kool_lews

olds_kool_lews

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:56 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

ermmmm 10" wellers!!!!

and amazing transformation - i'll keep working hard and it will be done :thumbsup:

gotta love them 10" wellers! :(

#24 emalee

emalee

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:27 PM

i've done a bit tonight - just cutting the boot floor panels out of new metal - i'm gonna play with the spotwelder tomorrow night - it should save SOOO much time compared to plug welding and grinding back :thumbsup:

Origional sills,waw and in good condition,...thats a good buy!! But don't cut out to much in one go,do some bracing first before anymore cutting it could warp a bit. But I am sure you are doing that, do not rush or quick fix, go at a steady planned pace.

its not worth rushing the welding - its really not worth it!!!!

the sills do need replacing - but i'm sooooo glad there is no oversills on it!!!! - it will only be the outer sills and repairs on the inner sills, so it should not warp or anything

#25 MiniBonkerz

MiniBonkerz

• Traders
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:28 PM

any pictures from today emalee?

#26 emalee

emalee

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:28 PM

ermmmm 10" wellers!!!!

and amazing transformation - i'll keep working hard and it will be done :(

gotta love them 10" wellers! ;)

i just to have 10" wellers on my mini - my bestest regret ever was selling them :thumbsup:

#27 emalee

emalee

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:29 PM

todays update :thumbsup:

right, i tidied up where the new panels need to be welded on, cj cleaned up the new metal ready to weld in, and wooooooooo cleaned the 'new' engine - (must check the engine numbers to see what diffs both the engines have and what will suit tanya the best)

so picks

panel roughy put in place

Posted Image

then the repair section spot welded to the strengthening panels

Posted Image

oh yeah

Posted Image

5 mins on a spot welder to do both sides, probably about a hour on the mig to do!!!!

spotwelder :(
Posted Image

and both sides done ready to weld in

Posted Image

half welded in

Posted Image

and mostly welded in - still need to grind it back and reweld where needed, and there is a small patch needed in the rear arch

Posted Image

hopefully by the tomorrow night they will both be fully welded in

and Fonzy has been repairing the subframe ;)

Posted Image

whoop whoop

#28 emalee

emalee

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:00 PM

another day, another load of welding :roll:

new grinder :(

Posted Image

cleaned engine thanks to woooooo

Posted Image

Posted Image

drivers side ground back and re welded - got grind it back again tho

Posted Image

and get the spot out to finish off underneath :P

and wheel arch repair

Posted Image

FIRE

Posted Image

More FIRE

Posted Image

hehehe!!!

and welded in ready to grind back and reweld :gimme:, and the other patch to be welded in - i'll finish the boot floor off tomorrow night and start the horrible job of getting the old rear valance lip off :(

Posted Image

And Fonzy has been repairing the subby still , got 2 bits ready to go in, and another end repaired :w00t:

#29 emalee

emalee

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:10 PM

another day............

both boot floor repair sections are now fully welded in :D

Posted Image

the spot is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO amazing and saves SOOOOOOOO much time :P

I love my spotwelder!! whoop whoop

Posted Image

then with Fonzy using the mig to repair the sub

Posted Image

i did some more cutting :)

Posted Image

theres no way grinding this back is gonna stop the rust coming back, so it gone!!!

and another little bit

Posted Image

i've cut the repair sections to go in here, so they are ready to go in tomorrow night, as well as the last boot floor repair section, with the tank bracket already spot welded on :)

then the weekend will be heelboard repairs - closing panel repairs, lower rear quarter repair and inner sill (in the rear pocket) repairs!!

not tooooooo much!! LOL

whoop whoop

#30 danie garry

danie garry

I love BMW minis

• Members
  • 2,296 posts
  • Local Club: IMOC-Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:33 PM

u'r really not hangin about wit this!!
regular updates AND pictures = :D and this project = :P