283 replies to this topic

#31 knightal7

knightal7

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 02:28 AM

Nice to see someone who has the same problem as i had in my boot (see my pictures lol) although after poking around in mine with a screwdriver it turned out a lot worse so i only welded in a lip all the way round and then decided to replace the rest in carbon so it wont happen again. Your'e at least getting on with a awkward job though which is fiddly at times.
keep up the good work i'll be watching

#32 emalee

emalee

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts
  • Local Club: west of england

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:30 AM

Thanks for the Comments Guys

I had to do basically all the same with my sky last year - so it helps knowing where to cut and knowing what is worth saving and what isn't,

i'm really happy with the progress at the mo, and i'm hoping the welding will all be done in 2-3 weeks.... i'll keep all the pictures coming :thumbsup:

#33 emalee

emalee

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 08:40 AM

last nights update!!

speed mini building is still going well!! - all the boot floor is repaired :lol: happy days

last repair on the boot floor

FIRE!!!!

Posted Image

just to wind tanya up!!! LOL

then the bumper lip sections replaces

Posted Image

Posted Image

and ground back - its been a while sine i've done any detail grinding... think it turned out alright tho!!!

Posted Image

Fonzy has now completely repaired the subframe, so thats a job for CJ in the morning!!! - to strip all the paint off and repaint!!!

then i started chizeling off the rear valance lip, only had about 10" left to do, when the bloke we got the mini from called me to say his sons mini had sheared all of his wheel studs on a front wheel........,

he was stranded in the middle of a road so me and my dad went on a rescue mission, got him home and took the disc/drive flange off from him to get it looked at at the local mini centre - he had just fitted the old Dunlop 10" wheels, so there must of been a problem with the nuts/wheel combination.... all the studs had been pulled through the flange.........

#34 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 12:23 PM

If they are the new repro Dunlops then they do not safely fit a disk braked Mini without modification to either the wheel or the drive flange. MiniSpares are the only one I know of that warn of fitting problems (and don't really stock the wheel).

#35 ScottyBoi

ScottyBoi

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 12:32 PM

Wow!

Amazing looking project! 7 weeks! What an achievemnt :-

#36 jinjrich

jinjrich

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Local Club: YMMOC

Posted 30 January 2010 - 01:11 PM

Wow this is fantastic what an inspiration. Just a quick question... does your spot welder run off a normal domestic power socket?

#37 emalee

emalee

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:29 PM

If they are the new repro Dunlops then they do not safely fit a disk braked Mini without modification to either the wheel or the drive flange. MiniSpares are the only one I know of that warn of fitting problems (and don't really stock the wheel).

the are the original ones!!!, the local mini centre think he might of tigthened the nuts too much!!!, he'll take it easy with it for a bit now!!!

#38 emalee

emalee

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:30 PM

Wow this is fantastic what an inspiration. Just a quick question... does your spot welder run off a normal domestic power socket?

Thanks the spot welder is run from a with a 16A or 13A supply, Its the one with the big blue round connectors

#39 emalee

emalee

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:31 PM

Wow!

Amazing looking project! 7 weeks! What an achievemnt :lol:

thanks i just hope i get it all done!!! 6 weeks to go!!!!

#40 emalee

emalee

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:32 PM

update

finished removing the rear valance lip and tidied up the underneath of the boot floor a bit, then found the rear valance from the spares department, and clamped it on, to see how badly it fitted!LOL

i was shocked, it fits near perfectly - i just had to push the drivers side end in to get it in line and it only took 3 clamps to hold it in place!!!

Posted Image

Fonzy is removing the subby bolt, the nut was loose in the cage so he cut a hole in the sill and welded the bolt back in place, which allowed the now stud to come out easily!!!, the other side sheared again flat with the heal board so fonz drilled it out and retapped the hole!!

CJ painted the underneath of the boot floor - well i bit of it, and the underside of the new rear valance,

then i took a wire brush on the grinder to the heel board

Posted Image

Posted Image

then cut a couple of holes

Posted Image

and repaired

after i started a fire!! LOL

Posted Image

then the rear quarter after i run the wire brush over it...

Posted Image

and repaired

Posted Image

Posted Image

there are a few bits on the other side to do, but not as bad as this side

Posted Image

Fonzy has striped the clutch off the 'new' engine

Posted Image

the clutch was ver oily, as was the one that came out of the original engine, so fonz has found one in other one of our engines that should be fine

and he cleaned it up again as woo failed cleaning it!! LOL

Posted Image

and CJ spent most of the day cleaning up the subby ready to paint - then gave it a 'rough' coat of red oxide!!

Posted Image

then we clamped the rear valance on again and in 6 minutes flat the new one was welded on

i really do love my spotwelder - it probably would of taken about a hour to weld it with the mig...

Posted Image

Posted Image

#41 lawrence

lawrence

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 09:23 PM

wow you just cant stop can you! ;) great job so far!

#42 emalee

emalee

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:43 PM

quick update, no pictures tho

drivers side hel board all repaired, i think i have one little hole just to weld in left on the boot floor, then thats all done, and woooo is gotta get the grinder + wire brush on it tomorrow night and i'm gonna make a start on the sills!!!

Woo has finished red oxiding the subby - all the bits cj missed!! LOL, and fonzy has been cleaning up the original head, and then making sure the valves where sealing after having no spark plug in the hole....

lucky it was fine and is now ready to go back on - just waiting on the mini spares order to arrive!!!

#43 danie garry

danie garry

I love BMW minis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,296 posts
  • Local Club: IMOC-Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:05 PM

u know u'r doing good when u'r out running the spares orders!!

#44 1995 MK2 IOM

1995 MK2 IOM

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts
  • Local Club: NO CLUB HERE.... YET

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:21 PM

you're an arsonist! lol

Good on you tho... looking good so far!

Time ticks on... I look forward to seeing the result!

#45 emalee

emalee

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:59 AM

you're an arsonist! lol

Good on you tho... looking good so far!

Time ticks on... I look forward to seeing the result!

i do quite like starting fires welding... it has to be said!! LOL

and it winds Tanya up that i'm setting fire to her mini on a daily basis!! LOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users