142 replies to this topic

#136 The_Mistro

The_Mistro

Farmer Barley Mow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:14 AM

To my knowlege there have been no threats from ANYONE , in the three pages of this topic to close it!

i know, thats why this topic has been good! weve been able to air our views on the matter, as there havent been any posts to warrant the thread being closed, but its starting to turn that way, i was just saying lets keep it a discussion rather than a slanging match!

#137 Danuneek

Danuneek

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:13 AM

I can't understand why people get so very angry about the BMW mini or could even be bothered setting a little anti group up.
Its only a car and like most things these days its European. Designed by Rover, built in the UK and owned by Germans.
Perhaps 50 years ago I could of understood it but not now. Dont get me wrong, I'm as patriotic as the next person and I love
nothing better than pulling up alongside one in my real mini, but to be honest nobody ever takes any notice, thats because the
BMW mini is just a common car driven by normal people who don't care. SURELY ONE IS LESS PATRIOTIC OR DOING MORE
HARM TO THE MINI COMMUNITY BY CAUSING VANDALISM AND BEING A GENERAL YOB.

#138 shellspeed

shellspeed

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:37 PM

owned by Germans.
Perhaps 50 years ago I could of understood it but not now.

Don't mention the war ! :)

#139 VicSkimmr

VicSkimmr

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 01:55 PM

The Germans have their revenge :)

#140 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 11 February 2010 - 05:19 PM

owned by Germans.
Perhaps 50 years ago I could of understood it but not now.

Don't mention the war ! :)

Yes and I've already been called a racist chav by someone because I stated how we beat Hitler during WW2?

:)

Mind you that person couldn't eve spell (obviously doesn't use Firefox), so as for being a chav?

:yinyang:

Edited by taffy1967, 11 February 2010 - 05:20 PM.

#141 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,862 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 11 February 2010 - 05:59 PM

I have joined this Group, it is a true fact i'm in a 100% No BMW mini club and thats how it should be, I understand they bought the name Mini why couldnt they just call it their original idea BMW One?

The BMW One-Series is a completely different rwd car competing in the larger VW Golf/Ford Focus hatchback class of the car market.......
http://www.bmw.co.uk...t-bmwuk,00.html

The MINI is fwd, supermini sized (smaller than most like the Fiesta/Corsa/Yaris) and was originally designed and developed by Rover engineers at Gaydon with BMW funding.
The Mini was too valuable a car brand to just let it die as was planned by Rover.......before BMW came along with the money to invest in new designs. Now thankfully future generations will still be able to buy and drive MINI's and at least be aware of the original classic Mini of our motoring past, unlike long dead cars like the Morris Minor which are now only remembered by a few enthusiasts of a certain age.

Edited by mab01uk, 11 February 2010 - 06:01 PM.

#142 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,862 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 11 February 2010 - 06:25 PM

Simple fact is...at least we can always take the credit

Your BMW wouldnt have been here without the mini...

Plus at least we can say we can get our hands dirty, not affraid to dive in to our A series...

To feel it, Fix it to To learn!

They may break down, but we will try and fix it before we cry down the phone to the AA or RAC etc....

The Mini wouldn't have been here without the original Austin Se7en and the Morris Minor........

Plenty of classic Mini owners I have known over the last 40 years only cried down the phone to the AA or RAC when they broke down and plenty still do, but that does not exclude them as enthusiasts, some people are just not technical or mechanically minded. ;)
The MCR and other Mini shows allowed brand new Rover Mini's and Coopers straight out the showroom into the concours up until 2000 despite much opposition from many Mk1 & 2/3 owners at the time who had the same arguement as you about not getting their hands dirty!

The early MINI's are nearly 10 years old now and plenty of MINI owners/enthusiasts I know also try and fix it first via the MINI clubs and forums, especially now warranties have ended and garage labour is expensive. I have just fitted a Cooper S 6-speed gearbox to my son's MINI One and a recon power steering pump to mine with help and advice from others + the Haynes MINI manual. None of it was that much more difficult than working on my classic except I rarely refer to the manuals or others for help on that after 40 years of working on them!
Try telling the membership of MINI Torque they don't get their hands dirty or dive in to their engine tuning and mods next time you see them on the strip at Mini in the Park........ :thumbsup:
http://www.minitorque.com/forum/

Edited by mab01uk, 11 February 2010 - 06:29 PM.

#143 the.stroker

the.stroker

TMF Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts
  • Name: Dan

Posted 11 February 2010 - 06:36 PM

Simple fact is...at least we can always take the credit

Your BMW wouldnt have been here without the mini...

Plus at least we can say we can get our hands dirty, not affraid to dive in to our A series...

To feel it, Fix it to To learn!

They may break down, but we will try and fix it before we cry down the phone to the AA or RAC etc....

The Mini wouldn't have been here without the original Austin Se7en and the Morris Minor........

Plenty of classic Mini owners I have known over the last 40 years only cried down the phone to the AA or RAC when they broke down and plenty still do, but that does not exclude them as enthusiasts, some people are just not technical or mechanically minded. ;)
The MCR and other Mini shows allowed brand new Rover Mini's and Coopers straight out the showroom into the concours up until 2000 despite much opposition from many Mk1 & 2/3 owners at the time who had the same arguement as you about not getting their hands dirty!

The early MINI's are nearly 10 years old now and plenty of MINI owners/enthusiasts I know also try and fix it first via the MINI clubs and forums, especially now warranties have ended and garage labour is expensive. I have just fitted a Cooper S 6-speed gearbox to my son's MINI One and a recon power steering pump to mine with help and advice from others + the Haynes MINI manual. None of it was that much more difficult than working on my classic except I rarely refer to the manuals or others for help on that after 40 years of working on them!
Try telling the membership of MINI Torque they don't get their hands dirty or dive in to their engine tuning and mods next time you see them on the strip at Mini in the Park........ :thumbsup:
http://www.minitorque.com/forum/

Both myself and the other moderators have left all our members to have discussion on both sides,and after 3 pages,plus several warnings from myself to play nicely,it is clear members choose to take the argumentative route.I think this a subject to agree to disagree on.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users