#17 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,419 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:20 AM

Vosa also said any car would be assessed on a case by case basis - you really have to decide for yourself. I do agree with Tiger that the inner wings alone are totally inadequate & it would be better to solid mount the front frame.
I personally think insurers are likely to be become a much bigger stumbling block, if they get the wind up about a possible conflict with DVLA/VOSA policy they'll take the easy option and say no.

#18 camp freddy

camp freddy

Definitely Not Camp Or A Freddy

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,696 posts
  • Local Club: Wreake Mini Wanderers

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:44 PM

I haven't got any front tear drop mounts, the grp front is located with sprung pins and the rear of the front
locates using the original bonnet subframe , my rear front subframe mounts are solid and I have
poly tower mounts , I do accelerate hard most of the time and my front end is still on the car..

Posted Image

you can see the mouning lugs on the subframe brace bars

Edited by camp freddy, 25 November 2012 - 05:57 PM.

#19 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:17 PM

Yes, and when you are caught with that on the road, it will be pass an IVA test or have it crushed. Just because it has not failed YET does not make it either safe or legal, and it is neither. Poly top mounts and solid rears is a recipe for certain fatigue cracking, but as you have butchered the structure completely, it may happen in unusual places.

#20 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:44 PM

Yes, and when you are caught with that on the road, it will be pass an IVA test or have it crushed. Just because it has not failed YET does not make it either safe or legal, and it is neither. Poly top mounts and solid rears is a recipe for certain fatigue cracking, but as you have butchered the structure completely, it may happen in unusual places.

Looks to me if the substantial tubes now support the front subframe front mounts, if this is the case then it will be more than strong enough

David

#21 camp freddy

camp freddy

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:40 PM

You have your own opinion which you are entitled to voice, I have had this on the road for 3yrs and it is driven
hard a lot of the time all year round , there are no signs of fatigue cracking anywhere... From my experience
of minis a lot on the road would most probably have teardrop mounts which have de-bonded rubbers as mine
were when I bought Ratty.

just a note off an IVA info site , I'll see if this is the case

1.9 When does IVA not apply?
Agricultural or forestry tractors, their trailers and interchangeable towed machinery, together
with their systems, components and separate technical units and trailers designed and
constructed specifically to be towed by them.
Quadricycles.
Tracked vehicles.
• ‘Incomplete’ vehicles.
Old vehicles (i.e. passenger cars and light goods vehicles over 10 years old and large goods
vehicles over 25 years old).
IVA does not apply but is optional for the following :
Vehicles designed and constructed for use principally on construction sites or in quarries, port
or airport facilities.
• Vehicles designed and constructed for use by the armed services, civil defence, fire services
and forces responsible for

#22 camp freddy

camp freddy

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:41 PM

You have your own opinion which you are entitled to voice, I have had this on the road for 3yrs and it is driven
hard a lot of the time all year round , there are no signs of fatigue cracking anywhere... From my experience
of minis a lot on the road would most probably have teardrop mounts which have de-bonded rubbers as mine

Agricultural or forestry tractors, their trailers and interchangeable towed machinery, together
with their systems, components and separate technical units and trailers designed and
Quadricycles.
Tracked vehicles.
• ‘Incomplete’ vehicles.
Old vehicles (i.e. passenger cars and light goods vehicles over 10 years old and large goods
Vehicles designed and constructed for use principally on construction sites or in quarries, port
or airport facilities.
• Vehicles designed and constructed for use by the armed services, civil defence, fire services

mines over ten yrs old , so if this is right i'm ok

#23 camp freddy

camp freddy

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:45 PM

Seen this section aswell , Seems a bit contradictory and miss-leading, could fall into either catagory

Part 6: Radically altered vehicles

Your vehicle must comply with the Road Vehicle (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 (as amended) if you use it on the road.
Radically altered vehicles are vehicles that have been altered from their original specification, but aren’t kit conversions

#24 charie t

charie t

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,153 posts
  • Local Club: wreake mini wanderers

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:48 PM

Quadricycles.
Tracked vehicles.
• ‘Incomplete’ vehicles.
or airport facilities.

All mini's are over 10 years old
Did it give date as to where 10 years old starts from?

#25 camp freddy

camp freddy

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:55 PM

Quadricycles.
Tracked vehicles.
• ‘Incomplete’ vehicles.
or airport facilities.

Quadricycles.
Tracked vehicles.
• ‘Incomplete’ vehicles.
or airport facilities.

Can't see , I assume it's from the time of application ....

#26 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:14 PM

just gone through this on the other topic

your modified mini looses it's registration by failing the 8 points system if it's not registered and it's not the same car it's a new car

new car's are less than 10 years old

if you modified it more than 10 years ago and did it right you would of passed a SVA test and don't need the newer iva test

#27 conlad

conlad

Previously known as ct16mini.

• Noobies
  • 2,054 posts
  • Local Club: Hilltop Minis

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:30 PM

I bet you at least 80% of people who fit flip fronts don't ring up VOSA and get it checked.

If its professionally done then I can't see a problem and as camp Freddy points out all minis are over 10 years old anyway

Every bloody thread now we see 'Woop Woop get VOSA to check your new wheels they look wrong' its very boring and insults peoples intelligence

#28 Chance

Chance

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:31 PM

I bet you at least 80% of people who fit flip fronts don't ring up VOSA and get it checked.

If its professionally done then I can't see a problem and as camp Freddy points out all minis are over 10 years old anyway

Every bloody thread now we see 'Woop Woop get VOSA to check your new wheels they look wrong' its very boring and insults peoples intelligence

Woop woop
Sound of the po-lice

Sorry :P

#29 conlad

conlad

Previously known as ct16mini.

• Noobies
  • 2,054 posts
  • Local Club: Hilltop Minis

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:32 PM

Woop woop
Sound of the po-lice

Sorry :P

That song did come into my head when I wrote it! Hahaha WOOP WOOP THATS THE SOUND OF THE BEAST!

#30 Sam Walters

Sam Walters

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:06 AM

One of mine went though a VIC test without inner wings or a welded front.

If they wanted to flag it for these issues that would be where they would do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users