#31 asmith88

asmith88

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:51 PM

sand paper was good for me

What was the smallest grade you had to go down to? and whats the best to start with so you can do it quicker but not cause damage?

#32 Joloke08

Joloke08

Not banned but still weird

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:46 AM

Great Thread Rod >_<
Ive thought for a long time there must be an Enamel out there that could be rollered on without thinning it :D
To be Honest you could lay down any paint using a Brush or Roller so long as your willing to put the time in Wet Sanding with Finishing Paper before Mopping with Plenty of Water and Farecla G3 or Similar ;)

Hey Flamenco great Colour and Finish on yours too :teehee:
What Paint did you use?
And did you Roller yours right out of the tin?

As Rod said he got his from a local factors but hopes its probably available at most so by pooling information we can then determine the right Paint to get regardless of Brand ;)

So any info of Paint formulation on your tin flamenco?

Boris is getting a Proffesional Respray by a Qualified Top Notch Sprayer at a Bodyshop but i plan to get a bargain basement Mini at a Later date as a general hack and would like to try this method on that :(

I think i may of found somewhere that sells the same type of Paint locally to me just need to do a bit of investigating now ;)

Lets see more of these enamel painted Minis be them Bruhed or Rollered :teehee:

Anybody else done one?

I Still think for Show Cars you cant beat a Proffesional 2k Respray by a proper Bodyshop with Experience :teehee:

But for a cheap Daily Driver/General Hack that this method is well worth a try so long as your willing to spend time on your prep and finishing ;) :teehee:

Huggz
Jodie :P

#33 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:51 AM

look up my Dolly the camper project

retro_10's and clubman katys roller painting projects

#34 Joloke08

Joloke08

Not banned but still weird

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 08:22 AM

look up my Dolly the camper project

retro_10's and clubman katys roller painting projects

Thanks Bungle
Seen Retros and your Dolly too >_<

Not seen the other though ill take a looky :D

Edited by Joloke08, 22 February 2010 - 08:23 AM.

#35 l_jonez

l_jonez

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Local Club: south wales mini club

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:10 AM

i started to roller my mini but only got as far as the bonnet before plans changed and it had a rebuild etc

Posted Image

Posted Image

we also did h_edgrrr's mini but i'll leave it for her to post pictures etc

#36 rod998

rod998

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Local Club: Scottish Mini, ELMOC, MiniClan

Posted 22 February 2010 - 11:22 AM

Im sure it was 120 grade that i used to take the previous paint off, it rough enough to get the paint of but smooth enough not to damage any of the bodywork.
For rubbing down between coats i used 600 grade, that was enough to flatten and bubble & sort any runs

Edited by rod998, 22 February 2010 - 01:02 PM.

#37 flamenco

flamenco

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Local Club: Malta Mini Owners Club

Posted 22 February 2010 - 03:33 PM

Great Thread Rod :thumbsup:
Ive thought for a long time there must be an Enamel out there that could be rollered on without thinning it :crazy:
To be Honest you could lay down any paint using a Brush or Roller so long as your willing to put the time in Wet Sanding with Finishing Paper before Mopping with Plenty of Water and Farecla G3 or Similar ;)

Hey Flamenco great Colour and Finish on yours too :wub:
What Paint did you use?
And did you Roller yours right out of the tin?

As Rod said he got his from a local factors but hopes its probably available at most so by pooling information we can then determine the right Paint to get regardless of Brand ;)

So any info of Paint formulation on your tin flamenco?

Boris is getting a Proffesional Respray by a Qualified Top Notch Sprayer at a Bodyshop but i plan to get a bargain basement Mini at a Later date as a general hack and would like to try this method on that :1eye:

I think i may of found somewhere that sells the same type of Paint locally to me just need to do a bit of investigating now ;)

Lets see more of these enamel painted Minis be them Bruhed or Rollered :thumbsup:

Anybody else done one?

I Still think for Show Cars you cant beat a Proffesional 2k Respray by a proper Bodyshop with Experience :thumbsup:

But for a cheap Daily Driver/General Hack that this method is well worth a try so long as your willing to spend time on your prep and finishing ;) :thumbsup:

Huggz
Jodie :)

Hi Jordie, thanks for the complimets first of all :thumbsup:

I used paint which is locally available, its made by Trimite (which I think can also be found in the UK), and I rollered it straight out of the tin for the first coat or two, and then added only a small amount of thinner just to make it flow better.

Must admit it is time consuming though!! I had to wet sand it after one or two coats (depending on the finish achieved) and it took more than 6 coats of topcoat to completely eliminate traces of the previous colour! And that's with 2 coats of white primer as well.

I admit it doesn't compare to a professional 2k spray job (although I've not made the final wetsand and polish yet), and I would still spray paint for a concours restoration or sunday driver, however this one is a daily driver and it's not worth spending lots of money on paint, especially here in Malta were the traffic seems to be increasing day by day, parking is a problem (especially at the University!!) and the summer sun just makes the paint fade after a very short time (even if you've spent lots of money for a professional respray!).

Also, this same mini which I roller painted was stolen last summer (it was still blue), and after a car chase the theif crashed the poor mini into a transit van and although he was caught and arrested, we still had to repair the mini ourselves, since the insurers do not offer fire and theft protection on older cars any more. So we had to fix it with the minimum amount of money possible, which we managed >_<

#38 enigma

enigma

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Local Club: moles mini club

Posted 22 February 2010 - 05:03 PM

hey well impressed with the results ,i did my clubby with two pack but im lucky enough to be able to spray it proparly with a mate! rollers and good brushes with the right paint are ace though in my younger years i painted countless tractors and implements this way and if the preps good its great! if you want to go real cheap but are prepared to possibly go with more coats get the farmers place for tractor enamel!! the stuff a company called vapourmatic sell all over the uk is real cheap (under a tenner a litre!!) and comes in masses of colours! and they do rattly cans. the rustoleum stuff bungle used is amzing! i use it instead of hammerite as its amazing value,covers twice the area and is a doddle to brush a good finish or roll! i think its still made with fish oil! which would explain the way it keeps rust at bay!! top budget restoration!!!

#39 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 05:07 PM

the other advantage of rustoleum over hammerite is you can thin it down/ wash up afterwards with white spirit

#40 Eatsleepdrink

Eatsleepdrink

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:13 PM

Where do you get rustoleum, just local motor factors or online?

#41 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:21 PM

do you have a Brewers near you ?

#42 Eatsleepdrink

Eatsleepdrink

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:43 PM

Apparently just down the road from my work I do.. didnt even know that. Is it a certain type of rustoleum or do they just have a standard tin, also what colours can you get hold of?

#43 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 08:32 PM

combi colour

they will mix the colour to RAL codes

my local store doesn't have the paint mixing machine but can get mixed colours from another branch with in 2-3 days

#44 ross k

ross k

Speeding Along Now

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:51 PM

heya mate is this the paint you used http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item56375c40eb

#45 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members