92 replies to this topic

#16 wolfie

wolfie

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 10:07 PM

would you run the outlet from the supercharger into the inlet of the turbo or vica versa

i would go do some more research!

#17 Prawn

Prawn

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:59 AM

what about a turbo and supercharger mix tempted wouldnt take a lot of extra work. im going very similar to johnny with a blow through turbo setup could always run that back into the turbo.

Why bother going to all the trouble? the mini engine pay is pressed for space enough as it is.

It's already been proven that you can make 200bhp from a gt2056, and 190 or more from a GT17 with very minimal lag. if you actually drive a car (not necessarily a mini) with a small modern turbo, you'll soon realise that lag isn't really an issue these days if the turbo is suited to the engine.

#18 steble

steble

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • Local Club: chichester mini club

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:06 PM

i'm glad i'm not the only one with the problem of everyday running with a vmax suck through set up

I also find starting it a bit of a bugger ;)

#19 richieg

richieg

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:01 AM

what issues are you having running the vmax kit?
Has it been set up on a rolling road or professional?
I have been considering 1 of these but I live in Ireland so if there are any problems it will be difficult to sort out.

#20 steble

steble

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • Local Club: chichester mini club

Posted 27 February 2010 - 09:51 PM

I have been considering 1 of these but I live in Ireland so if there are any problems it will be difficult to sort out.

it was set up by stuart at vmax

#21 Grahamxx

Grahamxx

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:38 PM

it was set up by stuart at vmax

Are you going back to Stuart to find out what the problems are a get them sorted? Have you done many miles with this conversion?

Graham

#22 alaskanow0

alaskanow0

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:06 PM

Hi guys,

I have heard people say that superchargers can perform in line with turbocharged engines......hence up to 200 bhp! (and even 225bhp with Matt's turbo).

If this is the case, why haven't i seen a supercharged mini with these sort of power figures yet? Do they exist? I don't think i've even seen anyone running high boost superchargers...everyone that i have seen seems to stick with relatively standard pulleys!

If someone has one (200bhp supercharger....or even 160 ish?), then please point me in the right direction?

Me and a friend aim to build a supercharged engine with at least 160bhp!

Please could you advise us of the best setups: which cam profiles to use (and why not to use high end cams such as a 286/296?) , engine capacity, cylinder head work (valve sizes?), and all the other contributing factors....

Any help with this would be great,

Cheers,

Mike

I am currently running

Vmax Scart 5th gen Charger on 1350cc longstroke A+ with stage 4 36x31, 8.4 compression ratio, 1.5 rockers, kent 276, Omega pistons, S Rods, all ARP bolts, custom aldon yellow vac dizzy, SC Drops and box, 4 pin diff and only producing 121bhp @ 5800 with 11 psi max on larger bore manifolds.

I have spend £££'s and hours on the rolling road, and believe there is little bhp left to extract. The setup is about the best it can be. The suck through setup does have flaws and isnt the most smooth drive for many reasons. Mainly due to the length of the inlet pipe from carb as fuel atomises before getting into the cylinders, this make fuel economy is terrible :dontgetit: 72miles for £25 superunleaded (taking it steady). Also their is no real way on controlling charge temps, so anything over 10psi is unefficient and requires a lower CR ratio than normal turbo setup. I have got a Vmax Charge cooler, but this is no where near as good as blow through intercooler setup.

I found the 276 cam is slightly over the top for a forced induction motor, as larger overlap period means you get blow through and waste fuel and boost. Each engine tuner has recommeded changing the cam to a milder road version 266, sw5 etc. Also 1.3 rockers are pefered in most SC setups.

I would not recommend using the decompression plate for big bhp, I had gasket problems orginally, that cleared up at 65ft/lb on the head studs.

I built the engine with the drap strip in mind, but best achievment so far is 15.19 @ 92mph and 14.91 @ 94mph with 25bhp NOS.

I was planning on fitting a suck through weber 45 system with smaller pulley, but been told the larger inlet manifold slows air speed into the cylinders, reducing low end torque and drivabilty. I have since changed my mind and decided to go the T2 hybrid turbo on mirage manifold route to get the required 170-180bhp. The supercharger route is good and great fun, but turbo's seem far more efficient and you can easily up the boost depending on application, plus of course a dump valve.

Hope this helps.

P.S

I am now selling all my Full Vmax top spec HIF 44 Charger kit (only 700 miles), this includes

2 inlets (1 tapped for nos)
Custom supercharger camshaft weber 45 spec 160bhp! ???
Charger Cooler
Fully setup HIF44
all mainfolds and accessories
Carb heater & k&n

I also have the brand new weber 45, that I was planning on fitting, but cancelled my weber inlet order.

I have spend just over £2000, and hoping to sell it to finance my T2 project and new forged pistions and 81.3 MED crank and rods.

#23 Prawn

Prawn

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:56 PM

Well there we go, this man has just explained the exact reason why I've decided to go turbo afterall.....

No matter how much you try, and supercharged setup still seems compromised when using the M45....

#24 mini.cooper998

mini.cooper998

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Local Club: looking

Posted 02 March 2010 - 10:17 AM

if the supercharger was used as blow through with intercooler what do you all think the BHP limits would be

#25 Prawn

Prawn

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 10:39 AM

Still not that high to be honest I don't think, as although intercooling obviously helps, it's not really a solution to inefficient chargers. An intercooler will help to a degree, but dependant on it's efficiency, it'll only be able to drop temps by a certain amount. if you're putting hotter air into it to start with, the air comming out will be naturally hotter as well, as teh eaton becomes such a heat pump above about 10psi, i don't really see that it's going to be much use above this figure.

I still think 150bhp or so will be about the upper limit for the m45, regardless of how it's setup.

#26 mini.cooper998

mini.cooper998

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Local Club: looking

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:35 PM

cheers prawn

just love that supercharger whine

got overtaken by a supercharged holden last week and it sounded amazing

can i put up with 150bhp instead of 190bhp for the sound there in lies the question.

think i will weld a bulkhead box in just in case while doing the shel

#27 Purtsi

Purtsi

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Flying Finns

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:24 PM

Have a look at this one from Finland:

http://www.miniworld...lery/JaniMakila
More info

Near 200bhp without NOS at the moment. You can see this Mini in IMM next year and also with 99% certainty in MITP too.

#28 rick.spi

rick.spi

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts
  • Local Club: "WOT NO BRAKES"

Posted 02 March 2010 - 06:16 PM

right the way i look at a supercharger is:

a well tuned 1380 mini can produce in exess of 100bhp when its a good spec and tuned well... and supercharged ones dont usually see much more power like in the example above, so really your paying way way over the odds just for a few extra BHP, and id go as far to say that a racing 1380 would be alot more reliable and alot less fuel consuming than a suck throuh supercharged engine (which would probably still cost more than a decent 1380)...

am i right?

#29 Purtsi

Purtsi

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Flying Finns

Posted 02 March 2010 - 06:56 PM

I can't really answer your question as it's not my Mini. I just know the owner/builder of it ^_^

#30 james962

james962

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:03 PM

right the way i look at a supercharger is:

a well tuned 1380 mini can produce in exess of 100bhp when its a good spec and tuned well... and supercharged ones dont usually see much more power like in the example above, so really your paying way way over the odds just for a few extra BHP, and id go as far to say that a racing 1380 would be alot more reliable and alot less fuel consuming than a suck throuh supercharged engine (which would probably still cost more than a decent 1380)...

am i right?

But where in the rev range would the power and torque be on this race 1380 than on the supercharged engine? Alot higher up in the rev range i would have thought. Idle would be erratic on the race 1380 as well due to the cam, not ideal for a daily driver.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users