92 replies to this topic

#76 CH007

CH007

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:18 PM

i used to be the same chap, hated the idea of having a box of tricks and letting something non mechanical control my spark.

Since fitting my jolt though it's opened my eyes, definately one of the best things i've done. Datalogging with an AFR input is invaluable, exact spark timing when running 20psi on a high CR is also invaluable amongst other things.

Seriously its not that difficult to get your head around, there's plenty of people about with one fitted and makes understanding easier if you can talk to someone about while looking at one working. If you're anywhere near wolves i'd be happy to show you how it works and helps.

Thanks for the input. I don't totally detest idea of box of tricks. If I can get one with own software so i can mod myself I woul dbe more than happy though. I appreciate it will need to be setup on rolling road first though just like idea of being able to control myself :thumbsup:

#77 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 10:34 AM

The beauty is that you DON'T need a RR to set up the 'box of tricks'. You can do it all just by driving around once you get the hang of it.

#78 CH007

CH007

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 06:08 PM

The beauty is that you DON'T need a RR to set up the 'box of tricks'. You can do it all just by driving around once you get the hang of it.

I am sold then :blink:

#79 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:26 PM

as Will says, you can tune yourself, at least to an extent,

all the part throttle stuff you can do looking at the lamda gauge, in fact with my ecu I can datalog and review the inf at home making tweeks.

much easier than filing needles and changing jets!

#80 gpm02

gpm02

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:46 PM

Right, well...

My engine is a 1293 with a MiniSpeed blower kit. With a 276 cam I only saw 140hp, I've just got a brand new billet cam from Kent Cams which they have pretty much designed for me with more lift than a 286 but with much much less overlap as with my 276 all that boost was being blown out the exhaust. I've also got a bigger pulley to go on the crank coupled with a 15% smaller pulley on the top. MiniSpeed have had running a Supercharged 1380 running 1 bar of boost with no thermal efficiency problems... So Alex told me.

My engine should be all rebuilt again in a few weeks, so with the extra boost and much better cam, let's see what happens.

Do you have the part number for the Kent cam? I am putting a supercharged kit together but am struggling with what cam to use.

Regards
Garry

#81 ashley00

ashley00

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:42 AM

hi there i have a vmax scart supercharger injection kit.with charge cooler bolt on top of supercharger thing and new rad and all the extras really worked head clucth etc.and i made 161 bhp
that was on standard bottom end.
now im building a 1293 omegs 18cc my head ,fully worked crank and rods etc sc/cr box and quaife diff.and stuart has got machined some very good supercharger cams and is helping with a twin throttle body conversion.and the smaller pulley should make excess of 180.with a good mapping session.
didnt think it was a massive problem gettin more power when talking to stuart .
its on the build now will be a few months then hopefully some results.

#82 Grahamxx

Grahamxx

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 11:43 AM

hi there i have a vmax scart supercharger injection kit.with charge cooler bolt on top of supercharger thing and new rad and all the extras really worked head clucth etc.and i made 161 bhp
now im building a 1293 omegs 18cc my head ,fully worked crank and rods etc sc/cr box and quaife diff.and stuart has got machined some very good supercharger cams and is helping with a twin throttle body conversion.and the smaller pulley should make excess of 180.with a good mapping session.

Are these flywheel figures? and what boost you running? Sounds very impressive...

#83 ashley00

ashley00

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:45 PM

yeah flywheel figures.urmm and boost wise im not sure whther it was standard boost or a smaller pulley.it had the emerald ecu and has two injectors at the bottom of the supercharger not on the inlet.the inlet to supercharger only does air.fuel near the bottom of the charger.two of my friend have the carb and are no where near as whiney as mine.my classic is a lot louder supercharger whine than my new mini with 17% pulley and induction kit..

my engine is being sent to med next month for all the machining and gear kit.then stuart is helping with the twin throttle body,mapping boost requirements etc.

#84 ivanhoew

ivanhoew

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 06:21 AM

yeah flywheel figures.urmm and boost wise im not sure whther it was standard boost or a smaller pulley.it had the emerald ecu and has two injectors at the bottom of the supercharger not on the inlet.the inlet to supercharger only does air.fuel near the bottom of the charger.two of my friend have the carb and are no where near as whiney as mine.my classic is a lot louder supercharger whine than my new mini with 17% pulley and induction kit..

my engine is being sent to med next month for all the machining and gear kit.then stuart is helping with the twin throttle body,mapping boost requirements etc.

is there a print out of the run we could see ashley ? ,also ,what clutch are you using ?

thanks
robert

#85 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 07:26 AM

Yeah, bit more info needed.

Matematically, the M45 won't make 180bhp on a 1293 without an IC (and even then). To go from 160bhp to 180 will need extra boost and I reckon that you're already deep in the inefficient part of the M45 map.

#86 ashley00

ashley00

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 05:05 PM

i shall will post some stuff up,like i said isnt built yet and working on the getting the right setup.i know a lot of you boys know a fair bit more than me.stuart seems to be quite confident in it.wel wait and see.

#87 beenaada

beenaada

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:29 PM

a good modern turbo is generally around 70-75% efficient, where as the Bini charger is around 65%, and drops rapidly above 10psi as mentioned.

#88 Sam Walters

Sam Walters

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:57 PM

All the hopes and dreams in the world arn`t going to get him to 180bhp. Well perhaps, but i think the dyno will have a push to say the least!

#89 NDT

NDT

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 04:23 PM

Hi, how is the injection set up?
Is it two SPI-style injectors or normal port injectors?
If it's port injectors are they running normal Mini-style MPI injection ('Theaker injection')?

Would be grateful for any info as I'm considering injecting the turbo engine in my project car.
cheers
Nick

#90 JonBooth

JonBooth

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:11 PM

My Mini runs an Eaton 45 supercharger and currently has 103bhp at the flywheel. However I think it is possible to get a bit more power. Currently it only has a hif38 SU carb on it and the standard pulley. With a reduction pully and a hif44 carb I think it could get around 130bhp at the flywheel. I've seen a few with that sort of power. Not sure how much further you could take it though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users