#61 AntonyC

AntonyC

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Local Club: NA

Posted 12 August 2010 - 11:51 AM

I bought an engine kit of MED and i chose them becasue they had a good reputation. I may have been unlucky but ive had lots of problems witht the kit they have supplied. The first problem was the end cap were mixed up so had to send them back and collect a new set. Unfortunately there was no offer to cover the postage or inconvinience of having to send them back. i did ask if they would pay the postage and im currently sending the receipt. The paint job on the block is poor, i specified black and looks like they painted it red first by mistake so i can see bits of red paint on the head and block. I mounted the gearbox last weekend and realised that MED or the person who gave the block in exchange had ground off the engine dowels. So i have to then call up again and get dowels sent to me. Which i might add they sent very quickly.

The customer service is ok, they have always been very polite to me and offered lots of advise especially when testing the end caps when they pinched the crank. I would not put people off using MED becasue i think they are very knowledgeable at what they do. I understand MED are very busy but when youre spending a lot of money on an engine i would expect top quality service which unforunately i did not recieve.

#62 1275 SPRITE

1275 SPRITE

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • Local Club: Wreake Mini Wanderers

Posted 02 October 2010 - 04:05 PM

I've had only good experience with MED. After my Morspeed engine blew up after 6000 miles (long story, in short don't use morspeed) I decided to use MED as they are only round the corner. I wish I went there before, as you get what you pay for. I stripped my engine and took them to MED for inspection. The crank was ground right down to its limit and unfit for an engine, the pistons were all badly scored, the bearings in it were showing copper through them and were the cheapest and worst bearings you can get, also unfit for an engine. (All of Morspeeds bodging).

I bought all my engine bits from MED, which they had 99% on the shelf, they did further machine work, and also good deals when I bought lots and paid cash :(. There service has been excellent every time i've been. I'd reccomend them all day long.

I also agree Steve can be a bit funny, but like said you have to just laugh and take it with a pinch of salt.

#63 camp freddy

camp freddy

Definitely Not Camp Or A Freddy

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 06:43 PM

I've had only good experience with MED. After my Morspeed engine blew up after 6000 miles (long story, in short don't use morspeed) I decided to use MED as they are only round the corner. I wish I went there before, as you get what you pay for. I stripped my engine and took them to MED for inspection. The crank was ground right down to its limit and unfit for an engine, the pistons were all badly scored, the bearings in it were showing copper through them and were the cheapest and worst bearings you can get, also unfit for an engine. (All of Morspeeds bodging).

I bought all my engine bits from MED, which they had 99% on the shelf, they did further machine work, and also good deals when I bought lots and paid cash :) . There service has been excellent every time i've been. I'd reccomend them all day long.

I also agree Steve can be a bit funny, but like said you have to just laugh and take it with a pinch of salt.

I used MED when they were known as MINISPRINT located on Avenue road extension off Welford rd in the mid
80's . Steve has always been helpfull and very acommodating, If you go in there with a 'know it all' attitude
then I agree he can be a bit off. So your best to tell him what you want and ask for his opinion....

#64 bristolminimad

bristolminimad

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Local Club: Swindon Mini AsoCiates

Posted 07 November 2010 - 04:19 PM

med built my 1293 4 years ago, i called them up as i was having issues with oil pressure, popped in and had a chat, they gave me a new oil pump and ball and spring, told me how to change it all step by step, and even said if you get stuck, and can get the car to us we will go through it all with you and show you how to do it all. that was after i had te engine for 3 years.

i think when i got my next engine build i will use them again!

#65 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 07 November 2010 - 05:20 PM

med built my 1293 4 years ago, i called them up as i was having issues with oil pressure, popped in and had a chat, they gave me a new oil pump and ball and spring, told me how to change it all step by step, and even said if you get stuck, and can get the car to us we will go through it all with you and show you how to do it all. that was after i had te engine for 3 years.

i think when i got my next engine build i will use them again!

your going to finish the mini? :thumbsup:

#66 shinerwright

shinerwright

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Local Club: Portsmouth & Southampton

Posted 09 November 2010 - 10:33 AM

I called MED a while back about buying their billet crank damper and timing management pulley along with their oil filter head kit. All I said was the engine I had (which is the bmw K1100 conversion) and asked about the management pulley, so I can work out if it will fit with the cam belt running close, and all I got was comments on how rubbish the engine is and no it will not fit... :lol:

I guess I called them on the wrong day!!

Edited by shinerwright, 09 November 2010 - 10:34 AM.

#67 Paul Wiginton

Paul Wiginton

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:33 PM

I called MED a while back about buying their billet crank damper and timing management pulley along with their oil filter head kit. All I said was the engine I had (which is the bmw K1100 conversion) and asked about the management pulley, so I can work out if it will fit with the cam belt running close, and all I got was comments on how rubbish the engine is and no it will not fit... :lol:

I guess I called them on the wrong day!!

May indeed have been the wrong day, but I know Steve doesnt care for the way BMW heads have to be bodged onto a Mini block

Paul

#68 ANON

ANON

More Jammy than a Jammy dodger.

• Traders
  • 2,682 posts
  • Local Club: pony

Posted 09 November 2010 - 09:07 PM

May indeed have been the wrong day, but I know Steve doesnt care for the way BMW heads have to be bodged onto a Mini block

Paul

i had quite a long chat with him about the bmw converion i'm doing when i ordered some bits from him last year, nice bloke but not afraid to call a spade a spade!!

you even came up in the conversation paul.

plus got fantastic discount on my bits :thumbsup:

#69 camp freddy

camp freddy

Definitely Not Camp Or A Freddy

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 09:28 PM

I went in once and took an old split type flywheel to exchange for a lightened one, he said he couldn't
exchange as he could not use the one I had, but he lightened theone I had for £20 while I waited.
That was steve who did it. Can't be fairer than that.....

#70 Paul Wiginton

Paul Wiginton

• Members
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 03:01 PM

you even came up in the conversation paul.

UH OH

#71 ANON

ANON

More Jammy than a Jammy dodger.

• Traders
  • 2,682 posts
  • Local Club: pony

Posted 10 November 2010 - 05:20 PM

talking about weight saving, have to confess i did ask him if you have ocd with all the trimming of weight you've done :)

#72 Paul Wiginton

Paul Wiginton

• Members
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 05:58 PM

I did, but it seems to have worn off now and Im bored of it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users