#16 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:41 AM

Yes you can get points for a 'defective' car...

Generally, you will get a fine, but if there are a number of defects, there's always the chance you will end up in court, and that's where the points will get dished out...

Not sure if it's still true, but you use to get between 1 and 3 points for a defective tyre, meaning if you were driving around on 'slicks' you could loose your license in one go.

#17 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:42 AM

pretty sure its 3 points a tyre! :mmkay: worth the risk? hardly

#18 davidv

davidv

Flowers of JOY.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:43 AM

Yes i get loads of heat in my best car they just hope i will speed.they have got big on tints and plates. :mmkay:

#19 davidv

davidv

Flowers of JOY.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:43 AM

Yes i get loads of heat in my best car they just hope i will speed.they have got big on tints and plates. :mmkay:

#20 Twincam

Twincam

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:45 AM

I bet the first thing people will do after getting pulled over and being given three points per tyre is go and get them changed. Not worth the risk at all.

#21 mk3 Cooper S

mk3 Cooper S

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:46 AM

yep tyres are 3 points a go, theses are safety critical items

Edited by mk3 Cooper S, 11 May 2010 - 10:46 AM.

#22 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:50 AM

I bet the first thing people will do after getting pulled over and being given three points per tyre is go and get them changed. Not worth the risk at all.

i got pulled over one time, i had just been to a tyre garage and told they were busy for half and hour so was going down the road for some food, thought to myself, ah well as im getting a new set ill go round this roundabout a little faster than i usualy would, only under cover cop waiting in a side road :D so i got yoinked and explained where i had been, going and returning and he gave me a defect form, get it stamped, go to a garage when the problems fixed them to say its done then go cop shop...silly so dont be temped to try that, luckily the guy was alright really...he said i was tail gating a car over speed bumps which i didnt agree with but i though it wasnt worth arguing otherwise so i was like...oh ok

#23 davidv

davidv

Flowers of JOY.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:54 AM

Yes also with Tyres and the law even the speed rating on your car.Also no Insurance cover.
There are some good videos on how they make tyres to watch.When you see the work goes into them you do not feel so bad paying..

#24 asmith88

asmith88

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 11:06 AM

When my boyfriends driving his E30 BMW he gets pulled all the time, literally, 3 times in one day last week, everything about his car is legal, but they'll do anything to cach him out, they even asked him to jack it up once to see if the springs had been cut to lower it! he has 6 points, one for not wearing a sealtbelt when he was moving the car so someone else could back out of the driveway! and once for doing 34 in a 30, it just seems like they pick on people that look dogey and steriotype them!

#25 bunch1980

bunch1980

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts
  • Local Club: nein

Posted 11 May 2010 - 11:07 AM

Tinted winodws are to me just another reason for someone to not see me in mini or on motorbike. Whether its legal
or not peeps dont seem to be able to see out of it, most are in great big 4x4's of course and some are obviously illegal.
Had a few near misses with boy racers using it cant see for toffee its so dark.
I say ban it all no tint on front side winodws and then they will know right away if its legal or not!

#26 davidv

davidv

Flowers of JOY.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 11:37 AM

Yes asmith if you have a nice sports car and are young they will pull for any reason.Always been the same.Im 47 so they often just look at me and go.

#27 feybrand

feybrand

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 04:55 PM

i used to get eye balled in the bini because it had black rims and factory tints only got pulled once though
i look about 17 and the copper started going red in the face about how youngsters think they know it all and they pass their test and race around and all that rubbish then when he asked how long id been driving and i told him 7 ish years and 3 for a hgv he suddenly calmed down and was all polite and let me be on my way
like i say i look young so i think he was trying to get a reaction from me so when i didnt react he had nothing on me as i was all legal and above board
sometimes its a little unfair as we do our cars up because we like the car and take pride in it and look after it unfortunately many dont they do them up to show of and race around and get the rest of us singalled out and get us a bad name but at the end of the day the police are just doing their job so long as youve done things by the book youre ok you just lose 5 minutes of youre time to answer a few questions no hardship really

#28 xBR4DLEY

xBR4DLEY

>>mine's still gay<<

• Members
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:03 PM

I was in a meeting at work experience and if your tyres are below the recommended tread depth you get a £2500 per tyre and then it's 3 points a tyre

#29 GTIAlex06

GTIAlex06

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:09 PM

See i was thinking about getting some black/silver pressed plates at Himley but wanted to look at the penalty if i got caught.

Does anyone know if there if a law specific to plates that i can look up?

Surely they wuldnt give out points just for driving around with the wrong coloured plates?

Its anoyying because they look sooo good :)

Suppose its not worth the risk, being 18 n all. Can only just afford the insurance now, no matter with point on my license ;)

...Alex...

p.s. Can someone direct me to...or post pictures of Minis with tinted windows please.

#30 Timify

Timify

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:11 PM

Most police i've dealt with tend to be quite forgiving. Providing you show them your pretty clued up about your car and more importantly show them some respect. (warranted or not) you'll pretty much always be walking away with a slap on the wrist, don't do that again.

I think their more concerned about the 'halfords boy racers' and not the sensible enthusiasts.

Plus most of the older ones, like to bore your tits off about a mini they once owned "back in the day"

Edited by Timify, 11 May 2010 - 05:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users