#31 Carlzilla

Carlzilla

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts
  • Local Club: Splinters Mini Club

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:12 PM

See i was thinking about getting some black/silver pressed plates at Himley but wanted to look at the penalty if i got caught.

Does anyone know if there if a law specific to plates that i can look up?

Surely they wuldnt give out points just for driving around with the wrong coloured plates?

Its anoyying because they look sooo good :)

Suppose its not worth the risk, being 18 n all. Can only just afford the insurance now, no matter with point on my license ;)

...Alex...

p.s. Can someone direct me to...or post pictures of Minis with tinted windows please.

hello mate, as youre still on probation, as i am, i wouldnt risk the plates now, even if youre willing to

and ian v had tints on his mini on the stand on sunday :)

#32 Big Man

Big Man

Put your trousers on---You're Nicked!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:26 PM

When my boyfriends driving his E30 BMW he gets pulled all the time, literally, 3 times in one day last week, everything about his car is legal, but they'll do anything to cach him out, they even asked him to jack it up once to see if the springs had been cut to lower it! he has 6 points, one for not wearing a sealtbelt when he was moving the car so someone else could back out of the driveway! and once for doing 34 in a 30, it just seems like they pick on people that look dogey and steriotype them!

You can t get points for not wearing a seat belt.

34 in a 30....should not really happen as the 10% + 2 policy should appy therefore a TRUE 35mph in a 30 would be a prosecution / ticket.

#33 Big Man

Big Man

Put your trousers on---You're Nicked!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:28 PM

pretty sure its 3 points a tyre! :) worth the risk? hardly

I bet the first thing people will do after getting pulled over and being given three points per tyre is go and get them changed. Not worth the risk at all.

If memory serves they can only issue a FPN (ticket for points) for a max of two offences therfore if all fouor are bald thats four offences and therefore a court summons.

#34 Ipod

Ipod

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:34 PM

Tinted winodws are to me just another reason for someone to not see me in mini or on motorbike. Whether its legal
or not peeps dont seem to be able to see out of it, most are in great big 4x4's of course and some are obviously illegal.
Had a few near misses with boy racers using it cant see for toffee its so dark.
I say ban it all no tint on front side winodws and then they will know right away if its legal or not!

As a motorbike rider was gonna say, but you said it already...

Edit:.. bit harsh on the number plate fine tho

Edited by Ipod, 11 May 2010 - 05:35 PM.

#35 sweetser

sweetser

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,995 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:55 PM

If i ever got caught with my B&S plates i'd probably leave them and take them off if they got me a second time...

Thats what i done :) first time i didnt get a fine though as they had no slips lol second time i got a £30 fine and told that my exhaust was illegal so i told him to check it out but he didnt cause it was chucking down!! but he was very nice to me and let me off with something worse ;) so its all good

#36 Ipod

Ipod

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:57 PM

If i ever got caught with my B&S plates i'd probably leave them and take them off if they got me a second time...

Thats what i done :) first time i didnt get a fine though as they had no slips lol second time i got a £30 fine and told that my exhaust was illegal so i told him to check it out but he didnt cause it was chucking down!! but he was very nice to me and let me off with something worse ;) so its all good

Gotta be carfull with the ol "check it then"...down here more n more traffic police have decible meters now :)

A couple of my mates on thier motorbikes have been done

#37 samsfern

samsfern

Likes Rovers, loves Jeremy Kyle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,243 posts
  • Local Club: medway mini club/medwaymonkeys

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:59 PM

what if you put a normal coloured plate in your rear window , and front dash, can they still get you for displaying the wrong numper plates, as you would be displaying correct ones as well..... just a thought.

#38 mrbridger

mrbridger

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Local Club: no

Posted 11 May 2010 - 06:23 PM

The fine for having plates which are unlawful, ie Black and silver, italics, amended numbers/letter, spacings of letters, daft emblems on the left side of the plate etc etc. has increased from £30 to £60 recently (no points) AND if you get caught twice with unlawful plates, the DVLA can and will withdraw the authority for you to use that registration mark. Cherished or not.
You could be left with a mini without a registration mark. Be warned!

#39 ReadySalted

ReadySalted

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Local Club: Nope :(

Posted 11 May 2010 - 06:41 PM

Bugger. I just bought black & silver plates since I've got a cracked front plate. I think I'll stick the black and silver ones on, but permantly carry a good set of yellow & white plates in the boot with the tool kit. Then if I get stopped, I'll play goody two shoes and put them on at the side of the road. I may still get a fine, but atleast it'll show good will etc. I do have respect for the police, and I always remember when I left my motorbike in a bus stop overnight, and found the police stopped and inspecting it about 1 or 2 in the morning. I went out to investigate and they apologised to me, joked that they thought I was coming to beat them up, and went on their way without a bad word. They even said it was fine where it was parked. That sort of modesty, and reasonable-ness makes me have a good bit of respect for them. So, if I get stopped once; whether I get away with it once, I'll put Y&W plates on, and keep them on.

#40 sazal

sazal

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,512 posts
  • Local Club: DCMOC

Posted 11 May 2010 - 06:46 PM

Bugger. I just bought black & silver plates since I've got a cracked front plate. I think I'll stick the black and silver ones on, but permantly carry a good set of yellow & white plates in the boot with the tool kit. Then if I get stopped, I'll play goody two shoes and put them on at the side of the road. I may still get a fine, but atleast it'll show good will etc. I do have respect for the police, and I always remember when I left my motorbike in a bus stop overnight, and found the police stopped and inspecting it about 1 or 2 in the morning. I went out to investigate and they apologised to me, joked that they thought I was coming to beat them up, and went on their way without a bad word. They even said it was fine where it was parked. That sort of modesty, and reasonable-ness makes me have a good bit of respect for them. So, if I get stopped once; whether I get away with it once, I'll put Y&W plates on, and keep them on.

Dont see why it would help if your carrying them, the illegal ones are still the ones on the car! In a way its a little worse cause it shows you know they're illegal?

Dont know why people dont just buy the yellow and black pressed plates, look better IMO and not as many people have them and they're legal!

Edited by sazal, 11 May 2010 - 06:47 PM.

#41 ReadySalted

ReadySalted

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 06:54 PM

Generally, if the police see that you're reasonable, and aren't rude, or try to act, or play the 'innocent' card, they're more lenient with you. Certainly from my experience anyway. Also, and I could be completely wrong about this, but if the car has illegal plates, and I'm stopped, fined etc. Then I've still got the problem of getting home from wherever I've been stopped, in a 'legal' vehicle. If I can't put the proper plates on at the side of the road, then I suppose; it's possible; although unlikely, that I could get stopped again on the way home, and fined a second time.

#42 ROBBIE 1

ROBBIE 1

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 06:59 PM

sorry might have been answered already can they do a on the spot fine for b/s plates if you have normal ones in the front screen and rear screen ?

#43 samsfern

samsfern

Likes Rovers, loves Jeremy Kyle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,243 posts
  • Local Club: medway mini club/medwaymonkeys

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:02 PM

what if you put a normal coloured plate in your rear window , and front dash, can they still get you for displaying the wrong numper plates, as you would be displaying correct ones as well..... just a thought.

sorry might have been answered already can they do a on the spot fine for b/s plates if you have normal ones in the front screen and rear screen ?

thats what i just asked. :)

#44 chipster196

chipster196

Destruction Daddy!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Local Club: JKSA

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:05 PM

Well my mini has W+Y on now and looks terrible.. The tint film i brought was advertised as "lightly smoke and road legal" hence why i brought it with the understanding it was ok to use and i could see clearly through it. It has to allow 70% of light through and mine was miles off. Although as i said to the policeman thats life. Will put my B+S plates on for shows and ive left the rear windows tinted.

Edit: Picture of its tinted windows... i know its not sat right etc but its after an accident i had in it.

Posted Image

Edited by chipster196, 11 May 2010 - 07:11 PM.

#45 ReadySalted

ReadySalted

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:13 PM

thats what i just asked. :)

You sir, are a genius. It might be a little unsightly, but rather that, than get a stinky fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users