69 replies to this topic

#1 babyrich82

babyrich82

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 02:00 PM

Right, I am looking at a possible conversion for my 1982 Mini Mayfair.

I want something absolutely BONKERS!!!

So I started weighing up a few things and came up with one question.

Q: Will an Audi BBK 4.2Ltr V8 (Approx 340bhp) matched onto an Audi 01X gearbox fit behind the rear seats of my Mini Mayfair and drive the rear wheels, is there enough space???

#2 minimalal

minimalal

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Local Club: Eastbourne

Posted 11 May 2010 - 02:42 PM

is difficult to answer this as i dont think its ever been done before however V8 minis have been done before so anythings possible :mmkay:

best bet would just to get some decent measurements and be realistic, would be a massive job
but good luck anyway ! if you pulled this off would be amazing

#3 babyrich82

babyrich82

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 02:57 PM

is difficult to answer this as i dont think its ever been done before however V8 minis have been done before so anythings possible :mmkay:

best bet would just to get some decent measurements and be realistic, would be a massive job
but good luck anyway ! if you pulled this off would be amazing

OK, so the measurements of the engine come in at 464mm and the gearbox comes in at 710mm so overall is 1174mm, from the back of the gearbox forward to the drive is 510mm, I need to do some measuring, but I actually think it might squeeze in, its the shortest V8 engine block out there!!!

Lets be honest, if a French man can fit a rover V6 in the back of a twingo, then there are many possibilities for a mini!!!

#4 freaker

freaker

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts
  • Local Club: mini fun club belguim

Posted 11 May 2010 - 03:28 PM

an s4 is quattro drive i thought ?

freaker

#5 babyrich82

babyrich82

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 03:32 PM

an s4 is quattro drive i thought ?

freaker

Yes but can be adapted to a FWD box in the rear, or even a porsche trans, they use the same system in an Ultima GTR Kit.

#6 kmol468

kmol468

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:12 PM

Two words: "do it"

I know that doesn't contribute anything towards the measurement aspect of your request but boundaries need to be pushed, plus you can't beat a v8 roar!

The only limiting factor must be costs as I don't think Audi v8 lumps and porsche gearboxes are cheap! However if you have them lying about gathering dust and your a dab hand with a spanner then what excuse have you got for not doing it! Lol

#7 babyrich82

babyrich82

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:21 PM

Two words: "do it"

I know that doesn't contribute anything towards the measurement aspect of your request but boundaries need to be pushed, plus you can't beat a v8 roar!

The only limiting factor must be costs as I don't think Audi v8 lumps and porsche gearboxes are cheap! However if you have them lying about gathering dust and your a dab hand with a spanner then what excuse have you got for not doing it! Lol

Just been in the garage and played about a bit with a tape measure, its possible, only issue is that the gearbox will stick out the back by about 45mm, anyone have a problem with that???

#8 kmol468

kmol468

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:40 PM

45mm, that's hardly anything!
Just box it in where applicable, yeah it might look abit weird but again 45mm is nothing! I mean dependant on where it sticks out the back then it could be hidden/masked with a bigger bumper or boot, for the clearance.

More importantly, it's not if we or anyone else is happy with the 45mm it should be if you are happy with the 45mm extension.

If the answers yes then go for it! I only say this as I have a 9" problem with my project but I've just worked around it! It just depends what your happy with!

#9 dazzler-pws

dazzler-pws

Previously known as ringonezero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Local Club: Minifinity

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:16 PM

Q: Will an Audi BBK 4.2Ltr V8 (Approx 340bhp) matched onto an Audi 01X gearbox fit behind the rear seats of my Mini Mayfair and drive the rear wheels, is there enough space???

Dude are you like 15 years old and dreaming?

#10 babyrich82

babyrich82

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 07:33 AM

"Dude", hahaha, you just nailed it in one, telling me I'm 15 years old, and you start with "Dude", dont make me laugh.

Right now back to the Serious people on hear, yes it a go'er, yes it will all fit in, and yes 'ringonezero' I'm going to drive right past you on the way to hell!!!

And if thats not enough to convince you, I would like to point out that I am a very well educated Mechanical Engineer with over 12 years experience in transmission design for the heavy engineering sector, I think I know what I am talking about 'SON'!!!

By the way to top this all off, I have been doing some calculations and have worked out that the car will have a very low centre of gravity, lower then a ZCars kit, the engine and driver positions are fantastic for equal weight balance which in threory should make the handling very strong in the corners.

So, to answer to my question, YES it will work, now comes the hard graft.

#11 adam_93rio

adam_93rio

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,271 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 07:53 AM

this sounds a bit epic, but you want it behind the rear seats? or have i read wrong

thought it might be better off cutting away at the rear seat than having it stickg out the back?

#12 babyrich82

babyrich82

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:45 AM

this sounds a bit epic, but you want it behind the rear seats? or have i read wrong

thought it might be better off cutting away at the rear seat than having it stickg out the back?

You've read correctly, my mistake, it should be behind the front seats.

#13 lindy119

lindy119

Super Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Local Club: looking for one!!

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:11 AM

"Dude", hahaha, you just nailed it in one, telling me I'm 15 years old, and you start with "Dude", dont make me laugh.

Right now back to the Serious people on hear, yes it a go'er, yes it will all fit in, and yes 'ringonezero' I'm going to drive right past you on the way to hell!!!

And if thats not enough to convince you, I would like to point out that I am a very well educated Mechanical Engineer with over 12 years experience in transmission design for the heavy engineering sector, I think I know what I am talking about 'SON'!!!

By the way to top this all off, I have been doing some calculations and have worked out that the car will have a very low centre of gravity, lower then a ZCars kit, the engine and driver positions are fantastic for equal weight balance which in threory should make the handling very strong in the corners.

So, to answer to my question, YES it will work, now comes the hard graft.

Posted Image

sorry, just had to. :thumbsup:

Edited by lindy119, 12 May 2010 - 10:12 AM.

#14 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:20 AM

In for updates as I think this will be interesting - like you said you wanted something bonkers

Are you using standard front end and a bespoke rear? Would like to see your design of this.

Why not cover the 45mm with an extended diffuser?

Edited by cptkirk, 12 May 2010 - 11:22 AM.

#15 babyrich82

babyrich82

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:45 AM

In for updates as I think this will be interesting - like you said you wanted something bonkers

Are you using standard front end and a bespoke rear? Would like to see your design of this.

Why not cover the 45mm with an extended diffuser?

I bet you would like to see the designs, hahaha, I'm pondering with the options up front at the minute, but the rear will be cut out, and incorporate a space frame design, at the minute not too sure how wide im going to go, would like to see it sensibly done though, braking is my other problem at the minute, I might have to use double calipers on the front, so many areas to cover, I'm going to design it first and then tweek it before I build it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users