#31 lindy119

lindy119

Super Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Local Club: looking for one!!

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:44 AM

Go for it! Like people have said though, you should think about an estate shell ot maybe even a pickup with an open V8 in the back!!

#32 babyrich82

babyrich82

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:50 AM

Go for it! Like people have said though, you should think about an estate shell ot maybe even a pickup with an open V8 in the back!!

I'm in it for the challenge, trust me I like crazy things!!!

#33 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 13 May 2010 - 11:16 AM

After seeing the mini cossie build on here I beleive anything is possible - go for it, cant wait to see the results.

#34 pantera2075

pantera2075

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Local Club: GTMOC

Posted 13 May 2010 - 01:52 PM

Rich, Nice choice - i'd been looking at this setup for my Pantera. You can get 6-speed Diesel boxes that should help with any gearing issues.

The handling will be a bit hairy i'd expect due to the short wheelbase - but that adds to the fun.

The 'box will bolt straight up, but what are you planning for flywheel/clutch? As i'd expect the existing to be an auto?

Go here Mk1 MR2

Guy is doing very similar setup in a Mk1 MR2

#35 babyrich82

babyrich82

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 02:30 PM

Rich, Nice choice - i'd been looking at this setup for my Pantera. You can get 6-speed Diesel boxes that should help with any gearing issues.

The handling will be a bit hairy i'd expect due to the short wheelbase - but that adds to the fun.

The 'box will bolt straight up, but what are you planning for flywheel/clutch? As i'd expect the existing to be an auto?

Go here Mk1 MR2

Guy is doing very similar setup in a Mk1 MR2

WOW, now thats the sort of help I was after, and positive too, many thanks, details will be coming soon, we are just in the early stages.

#36 Alec

Alec

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:02 PM

I think its a good idea, I have seen a few rover V8's in the back of mini's so why not an audi lump. Someone drove to stanford hall in one a couple of years ago, looked like a right sleeper.

I saw this on pistonheads the other day, thought about doing a V6 bi-turbo conversion as an alternative? http://www.pistonhea...les/1693768.htm
Good luck with it.

#37 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:11 PM

This will never get off the ground, or ever run and i would place good money on it!

Yeah but we can hope its not all talk cant we.

Hmm, I never thought I would get a 2 page post of negativity, anything's possible guys, have an open mind, when Chris at ZCars set out on his mission I bet people had their reservations too. I'm not competing with ZCars in anyway, this is a 'homer' project, a one off, all I want is to be given a chance.
Trust me when I say this though, its in no way going to handle like a dog, I have put a lot of thought into this, and have already started on the FEA model, to be 100% honest its not going to have much mini chassis left when complete, like the ZCars design a space frame will carry most of the weight.
Again I must point out, this V8 is the lightest and shortest V8 available, and will fit in very neatly.
One last thing, we are all Mini enthusiasts, have a heart!!!

Hello mate, dont get me wrong, I am not trying to be negative, I just dont want to get my hopes up because being a 4.2 Audi V8 driver, I REALLY REALLY hope you sucseed! I just dont want to get my hopes up! lol. You have my support though!

u will have more space to fit twin turbos and stuff ;P.

Lol like 350bhp isnt enough already?!

LOL Na he needs more lmao. are these engine diesel or petrol?

As said before there petrol, but they do a 4.2 and 4.0 twin turbo Diesels. The petrols are a lot more common however.

You can get 6-speed Diesel boxes that should help with any gearing issues.

Audi S8 4.2 quattro (D2) with 4.2 L V8 2xDOHC

Motive power in the D2 S8 powertrain featured a re-tuned, 250 kilowatts (340 PS; 335 bhp) version of the standard 4,172 cubic centimetres (254.6 cu in) 90° V8 petrol engine (parts code: 077, identification codes: AKH, AHC). From late 1999, the engine was given a further power increase to 265 kilowatts (360 PS; 355 bhp) at 7,000 rpm, and 430 newton metres (317 ft·lbf) of torque at 3,400 rpm (identification codes: AQH, AVP, AYS, BCS).

A sports-recalibrated version of the ZF 5HP24 five-speed tiptronic automatic transmission (parts code: 01L, identification codes: DYM, ECX) (gear ratios - 1st: 3.571, 2nd: 2.200, 3rd: 1.505, 4th: 1.000, 5th: 0.804), featuring "Dynamic Shift Programme" (DSP) was standard. European-market models also had a six-speed manual transmission option (parts code: 01E, identification code: DGV).

Torsen T-2 based quattro permanent four-wheel drive was also standard. Final drive ratio (for automatic transmission) is 3.730.

So you might want to concider an engine out of a 99 onward S8 with 6 speed Maual gearbox and 360bhp? If your going to do it, do it right! :-

Edited by E.L.M.O, 13 May 2010 - 03:14 PM.

#38 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,129 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:30 PM

Good luck with the project and I sincerely hope it comes off.

If you want me to tidy up this thread and remove the negitive comments then I'm happy to do that for you.

#39 mini-geek

mini-geek

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:44 PM

sounds like a good project.

not sure if this has been mentioned, would the V8 be mounted longitudinally or diagonal?

#40 Old Skool Rules!

Old Skool Rules!

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 11:34 PM

really like the sound of this! just a note about the negative comments you have recieved, the fact that your first post is asking whether or not the engine will fit, surely with 12 years experiance in mechanical engineering you should be able to have a good idea of the size/ space available and whether or not it could be achieved. are you sure youre not 15? this is the kids forum after all!

#41 rick.spi

rick.spi

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts
  • Local Club: "WOT NO BRAKES"

Posted 13 May 2010 - 11:42 PM

i recon it can be done and i will be following this thread, i love the idea of it.

best of luck and keep us updated. :)

#42 dougie1142

dougie1142

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • Local Club: I.M.O.G

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:47 AM

Well, it'll be good for sure and it looks like your thinking realistically about it (if that is possible! :) ) so theres no reason why you cant do it! i'll follow you for sure..

#43 Robbie

Robbie

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Local Club: Renegade Mini Fun Club!

Posted 14 May 2010 - 03:29 PM

I wish you the best of luck and really hope you pull it off, it'll be amazing if you do it! :bah:

Don't worry about the negativity, I bet kmol468 got the same sort of stick for his Cosworth project, and now look at how that's progressing! Stick with it, and keep us updated! :withstupid:

#44 kmol468

kmol468

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 05:41 PM

Just approach things with a sensible head on and dont rush into things, of which im sure you already know.

It sounds like you know what your doing, so just plod along and keep us all up to date with things as I love crazy projects.

Pantera: Brilliant find about that audi v8 install into a mr2 - it was a good read.

#45 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:37 PM

Any updates on this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users