#61 Mini Adam

Mini Adam

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 05:09 AM

Hmmmm.......

With all the abuse I wasn’t going to bother updating ever again!!!

Drawings are done.

Engine and Gearbox bought.

Mini Stripped.

Fabricator in Scotland Contacted and fired up ready to go.

For all the impatient people on here 'ROME WAS NOT BUILT IN A DAY' give it a chance lads!!! One thing I have to say is, I am not doing it for any glory, I don’t really want any recognition for it either, it’s my project and it will be built when its built, photos will be added when there is something to add!!!

calm down!

#62 Sam Walters

Sam Walters

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 03:40 PM

Planning and preparation are key to success. As iv`e always believed for instance. Luck is only preparation met with opportunity. But I`m a lazy ******* so i have crap luck with half arsed efforts.

But anyway I`m nattering on.

Ignore the negative comments. What have those people achieved? Ill tell you what they have achieved. The square root of f all.

Its your project. Don`t let anyone dull your enthusiasm for it.

Someone has said "Just get a zcars" I bet the handled pretty poorly in first incarnation. But given work and time they have come out well to say the least.

Personally, i look forward to seeing the issues you come across and more importantly the solutions to those problems.

Id also like to think that at some point i might be able to provide you with some input from an engineering point of view.

#63 SukiDawg

SukiDawg

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 06:23 PM

Hey,

OK, how about a couple of photos of your design? I doubt you'll be giving too much away on the intelectual property front... and if its a home project only its not like there is much to lose... A picture paints a thousand words and all....

You say you've started an FEA model? Thats quite interesting.... what exactly have you modelled? Is this for stiffness of the frame when you've finished... what package are you using?

If I were you I'd be wanting to silence a few of these doubting Thomas's!

Dave.

#64 100ev8

100ev8

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 07:26 PM

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...8#ht_1199wt_932

works in a golf so why not a mini !!!

#65 Doogal

Doogal

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 08:49 PM

Thats a 2.7 V6, not a 4.2 V8.

#66 babyrich82

babyrich82

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 06:25 PM

OK I give in, the dream has died in a financial crash sort of way.

I have the plans, I have a 6 speed gearbox (Audi tdi), and also had the engine, the project is 100% possible, but with the realistic time I spend in the UK, and the money I have to start it let alone complete it has drawn a line under the idea.

I am sorry to dissapoint, anyone wishing to continue the dream, please feel free to contact, for now I plan to restore what I have back to a mini, oh boy I'm such a let down.

Bad Times :thumbsup:

#67 kmol468

kmol468

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 06:51 PM

Sorry to hear it mate.... It would have been a beast.
Wouldn't it be possible to plod along with it and for it to take a few years? (I presume youve thought about it though!)

#68 fusionfanatic

fusionfanatic

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:37 PM

its a shame that you haven't gone ahead with the project, I have been considering a V6 Audi engine mid mount RWD build to be a little more conservative but with your preliminaries I recon its worth considering the V8, just for mad crazy fool value!

I truly believe that the z-cars kits are great but I do feel concerned that they cost an absolute fortune! I would love to hear of any plans you had in greater detail than you let on the forum.

As for the negative comments people, try to be a little more constructive about your opinions rather than making someone with an idea feel like they are being slapped down for thinking outside the box!

#69 liamcrowley

liamcrowley

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:40 PM

How are things, this is a really good idea for a project.
I would still go ahead with it, my mini project ( http://www.theminifo...raight-6-turbo/ ) is kind of along the same lines.
I was in the same position as you are at the moment, you always get downs in a project.
I'm only 18 and in college, the only money I'm getting in is the occasional roll cage or fabrication work this keeps me tipping away.
Dont give up on it.

#70 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:21 AM

This will be a VERY tight conversion but a great one if you do it correctly. However you should consider the earlier v6 bi turbo S4 engine as its more powerful, shorter and leaves you loads more scope. Also, why are you considering the weaker 01x gearbox? The main casing is alloy and doesnt cope too well with high torque under abuse. You will also not beable to run a lsd which will be criticle after gearing down to a 13" wheel. The 01E has a cast iron main case and is renowned for its strength. Its also available in 2wd.
I'm halfway through fitting a B5 S4 motor in the back of my Renault clio v6. Converting it to a single large turbo, it'll be around 500-550hp with out the need of a strip down. It's geared for 200mph in 6th on my 18" wheels so I'm not sure what that will equate to on 13"s.

All the best with this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users