Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:24 PM

I also see trouble ahead...

On your diff cover you will see that the bush for the stabiliser rod is fubar... you will need to knock that out and put a new one in...

Best way I've found for doing that is find a cold chisel which will fit between the webs from the back and crush the old sleeve which can then be punched out from the side, and then inserting the new one with judicious use of a socket and hammer tapping it in from the side. I do have a tool which actually pulls it in, but to be honest it takes longer to do that...

#34 AndyMiniMad.

AndyMiniMad.

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,290 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:29 PM

The gasket sets have arrived today. Head gasket, Full block set and full gearbox set.

Posted Image

Cant wait to get in the garage and start fitting bits.

#35 E-Tizzle

E-Tizzle

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:48 PM

Yes I did paint the diff housing!!! I know Im a sad old git!!!

impossible!!! i go round painting everything. its the little stuff that makes it look so great

#36 AndyMiniMad.

AndyMiniMad.

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,290 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:00 PM

Thanks mate,......... Feeling younger already......

#37 AndyMiniMad.

AndyMiniMad.

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,290 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 10:22 AM

A bit more progress today,

I fitted the diff casing to gearbox gaskets and refitted the diff cover. Now im a bit unsure ive done the right thing because ive just read a post on the techy section where people are mentioning that gaskets are not required on some gearboxes. Anyway there were gaskets on the box when i took it all apart so ive fitted new ones. Fingers crossed, no leaks.

Posted Image

Then the shims which came out of this diff side cover go back in and a new gasket.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I then bolted on the side cover and repeated for the other side, Except that there were no shims in this side to fit. Also at this point I refitted the spring and ball bearing which I had removed earlier in case it got lost, Dont forget the small "o" ring which comes with the gasket set.

Then It was on with the selector shaft oil seal which I used a long reach socket to push all the way down.

Posted Image

The next picture is of the new rubber dirt seal which will be fitted when the engine and box are refitted in the car. This is something which May get overlooked on some builds but which I think is important as is keeps the road grime off the oil seal and helps to prolong its life. Im sure we all know about oil leaking from this seal and what a pain in the :teehee: it is to replace. Note all the lock tabs bent back over.

Posted Image

A new nose bearing fitted ot the end of the input shaft. After the final drive nut and the input shaft nut had been torqued up. (150 Nmts)

Posted Image

Then the next job was to make sure all the bolts were tight, as per the torque settings in the Haynes book, and all the tab washers were bent over.

Posted Image

And so I think thats just about it for this gearbox build.

Wide ratio box with a 3.1-1 final drive almost ready to go under my 1380.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The speedo spindle and diff side cover have not been fitted yet as im unsure as to the ratios required for this box. Am off to check my speedo number and then a quick visit to Guessworks fabby ratio calc site. This is important at this stage as if you get the spindle gears wrong your speedo will not be accurate.

Will be building the engine on here next, Just waiting for the block and head to come back. Have ordered some nice bits to go inside. will post photos when they arrive.

I hope this has been helpfull to anyone thinking of rebuilding a gearbox. I first thought it would be a huge task, and to be fair some bits were quite difficult, but with help and advice from people on TMF, and a basic selection of tools, I've somehow managed to get it done, Thanks guys. I hope it wont go "BANG, CRUNCH, POP". LOL.

#38 AndyMiniMad.

AndyMiniMad.

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,290 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:10 AM

I have found out the speedo spindles needed for this gearbox to match up with the 3 clock dash. The dash has the numbers 1312 in very small writing at the bottom left. Its a bit of a bugger to read but you can just about make it out with a torch. Any way with this gearbox being a metro vanden plas type, the final drive now set at 3.105-1, and the wheels and tyres being 165/60x12. This means that I need the spindles to be 17 and 7 tooth.
Here are all the bits.

001-2.jpg

So first job was to slide the 7 tooth drive into the housing.

002-6.jpg

Fit a new gasket and then bolt the housing to the side of the box.

003-8.jpg

The 7 tooth drive fits into the slot on the end of the shaft in the gearbox.

004-3.jpg

Next the 17 tooth spindle and guide go in the housing and slide down to engage with the drive.

006-5.jpg

Once thats done you can see the speedo drive working if you turn the gears.

Last thing is to fit the retaining plate for the drive gear and the bit that the speedo cable screws onto. Dont forget the gaskets.

007-5.jpg

Will post photos of the pistons, camshaft, roller tip rockers, etc as they arrive.

Edited by AndyMiniMad., 25 January 2024 - 04:53 PM.

#39 AndyMiniMad.

AndyMiniMad.

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,290 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:06 PM

Some of the bits that arrived today. The cam kit from Keith Calver Special Tuning.

Posted Image

In the kit are the cam followers, These have a hole in them. Must be to help lubrication.

Posted Image

Double valve springs. I guess the spring load rates have been selected to match the cam.

Posted Image

Cam lobe lube. (Say that fast 5 times.)

Posted Image

And of course the RE13 OT Camshaft.

Posted Image

The 73.5mm pistons and rings also arrived from Jonspeed racing.

Posted Image

Still waiting for the roller tip rockers and I have ordered a Kent lightened vernier duplex cam timing kit. will post more pictures when they arrive.

Edited by AndyMiniMad., 12 July 2010 - 08:09 PM.

#40 AndyMiniMad.

AndyMiniMad.

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,290 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 12:38 PM

Hi guys its been a while since i updated this project but there aint much going on. still waiting for the block to come back from the workshop. The roller tip rockers i ordered from some toe rag on the forum never arrived, eventually got my money back via paypal. just goes to show these scam artists are even on the forum.
Anyway rant over. Here are some bits i ordered from Jonspeed. Center strap with long bolts, and the center main cap which I had machined flat to match the strap.
The new leads are just a bit of bling i couldnt resist.
hope to have the block back soon so i can get on with the build.
Posted Image

#41 AndyMiniMad.

AndyMiniMad.

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,290 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 12:58 PM

Ta Da!!!! New HT leads on Haggis. Also fitted some new spots last week. so now I can see where im going.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Hope you like!!!

#42 AndyMiniMad.

AndyMiniMad.

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,290 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 05:47 PM

Hooray!!! lots of bits arrived from Mini Spares today. Here are the pics. hope I didnt forget anything.
The high capacity water pump.
Posted Image

The oil pump.
Posted Image

Crankshaft main bearing shells.
Posted Image

Big end bearing shells.
Posted Image

Camshaft bearings.
Posted Image

Hi performance 2 Core Radiator.
Posted Image

Lightweight Verto flywheel.
Posted Image

And lastly the duplex vernier timing gear set. Not the kent kit i was going to get, They must be very popular because they are continuously out of stock!!
Anyway im told this kit will do the job just as well and is £50 cheaper.
Posted Image

So thats all the bits here apart from the block and head. It seems to be taking forever to get the rebore done. Still so long as they get it right then I dont mind them taking a bit longer. The rebore and head porting is costing £400. Does this seem about the right price??

I will start the build as soon as the block comes back and will post pictures of each stage, just like the gearbox build. Do you think I should start a new thread for the engine build or just keep going in this one??

#43 AndrewJ530

AndrewJ530

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 05:54 PM

Looking good. Just get a mod to change the title to 'I'm gona build a gearbox and an engine'.

#44 AndyMiniMad.

AndyMiniMad.

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,290 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 06:19 PM

Thats a good idea!! Does any one know why the pages in this thread are sooo loooong. Is it me? is it posible to start a new page without it getting so long. Other project threads seem to have shorter pages. Not really a problem to me, but thought you lot might be getting bored with sooooo much to wade through on each page.

#45 AndyMiniMad.

AndyMiniMad.

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,290 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:55 PM

Had the name of this thread changed as suggested by AndrewJ530. I see your in Middlesborough, Hows that Barry robson doing down there. He used to play for us up in Inverness. Great player even if he does fall over a lot. Sorry if your not a footy fan. Any way back to the mini. I took the camshaft bearings to the workshop today (Auto Head Recon) and asked Glen to fit them for me. The block should be done by the end of the week. Hopefully. Not sure how long the build will take because Im working away alot just now. Im hopeing for around 90-100 bhp from this engine, what do people think? Is this realistic or am I being a bit optomistic for a home build?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users