• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#16 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 04:48 PM

The normal gloss roller is just fine, if you're getting orange peel then you haven't flatted it well enough every two coats, A standard thick roller for elumsion will leave you with a terrible mess.

If you get orange peel on the 1st coat you are putting it on WAY too thick - you should only start to get coverage on the 3rd-4th coat, it must go on slightly transparent. The 1st and 2nd coats will look patchy, on the 3rd it will start to looks much better, by the 5th it should get exciting. you MUST flat back with 800grit WET every 2-3 coats.

#17 Hekmat

Hekmat

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 07:58 PM

the plan is im going to roller paint my mini in satin black rustoleum next weekend. but im having problems finding the correct paint for the job online. and was wondering if anyone could recommend a site that sells the correct paint i need or a high street shop that sells this type of paint.

thanks

jules

Brewes are the place you can go and visit, have a look at this site and see if one is near you.

#18 luiji89

luiji89

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 08:00 PM

brewers are like 15 quid more a tin!!

#19 Hekmat

Hekmat

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 05:33 AM

brewers are like 15 quid more a tin!!

Yes they are more expensive than Avenue Coating, but gives you the option to talk to someone and see the actual chart or perhaps the paint and then order it from Avenue Coating. I did that for my car, went in with a picture of the colour that I wanted and got the colour matched and ordered from Avenue Coating.

#20 Ju Boy!

Ju Boy!

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Local Club: The Beaminster Mini Massive!

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:26 PM

im not a complete novice to painting cars, but i have never rolled one before so its a massive learning curve. anyway i have flatted back the car now and started applying much much thinner coats and the results are looking promising to say the least :cry: im using a small high gloss roller and some very expensive paint brushes.
going to apply the 3ed coat tonight :) and possibly another tomorrow.

pictures will follow

cheers
Jules

Edited by Ju Boy!, 28 June 2010 - 07:37 PM.

#21 leadly

leadly

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • Local Club: [] D.C.M.O.C []

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:13 PM

I went with www.rustoleum.co.uk for my paint, thought I may aswell as they make it afterall lol!

#22 Hekmat

Hekmat

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:28 AM

Here is a picture of the inner wing after 2 coats using the Earles sprayer (thinned by 30%). There are no orange peels whatsoever.

Posted Image

Close up:

Posted Image

#23 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:47 AM

How long are people leaving between coats when rollering? The Wiki guide suggests a week, is this correct?

#24 Hekmat

Hekmat

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:02 AM

How long are people leaving between coats when rollering? The Wiki guide suggests a week, is this correct?

It depends on the weather and how thin the paint is, for re-coat about 24-36 hours and for wet & dry I found using the sprayer around 2-3 days, with the roller around 5-7 days.

#25 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:25 AM

just gone ahead and bought my paint now, delayed it for much too long and i want to get on and paint it and it all be done! still got alot of work to do before i can start paint work though

#26 Ju Boy!

Ju Boy!

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Local Club: The Beaminster Mini Massive!

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:26 PM

Here is a picture of the inner wing after 2 coats using the Earles sprayer (thinned by 30%). There are no orange peels whatsoever.

yeah never ever experienced orange peel when using a spray gun as you say but its way more prone to happen when using a roller because of the nature of the way it applies the paint. as for re-coating i have found because it is so hot at the moment and the paint is now going on so thin its ready for wet sanding or a re coat in about 24 hours.

#27 lrostoke

lrostoke

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,923 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:53 AM

Ordered direct from the rustoleum website

ordered Monday night late 2.5 litres of black , 1 litre of thinners. plus carriage £43.06 inc VAT arrived today Wednesday before 12 mid day, I'd call that good

:thumbsup:

#28 maph2

maph2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Local Club: Poor Boys Warwick

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:10 PM

if you are spraying, you don't need much thinners, much less than celly or 2pack. for about 500ml of paint its just "dash" to taste.....

#29 lrostoke

lrostoke

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,923 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:44 PM

Instructions on the can say 10 - 25% for spraying

I'm going start with 10% and see how it goes.

#30 ste88

ste88

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Local Club: LCMOC

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:05 PM

i've just ordered 2.5l from rustoleum.co.uk,mixed to a RAL code, ordered 250ml of gloss black in case i decide to do the roof aswell. Came to £44 ish with delivery.
In case anyone else is thinking of ordering from them, you need to ring if you are getting colours mixed which arent already on the site, the guy on the phone was very helpful with me :D i'll let you all know when it arrives

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users