• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#46 Ju Boy!

Ju Boy!

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Local Club: The Beaminster Mini Massive!

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:33 PM

thanks everyone for all the complements :)

i ended up using about 1.5L of paint and more wet and dry then i ever new existed! another top tip i discovered was to use foam brushes, they leave a better matched finish with the finish the roller leaves giving an overall better finish to the paint. thus making flatting back between coats much less time consuming :genius:

as i said before im getting together all my pictures i took of each stage of the pain job and will be making a full thread on how i did what i did very soon. hopefully this may help you avoid the mistakes i made along the way and save some of you some time and heartache when you come to apply your paint.

if you asked me if i would paint a car in this way again i would have to say no!! it is cheep, but you have to be soooo much more patient with it to see good results. but that might just be down to the color i chose having the tendency to show every little imperfection :D
but you live and learn :genius: and i have finally ended up with a very unique paint job :wub: good times

#47 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:37 PM

if you asked me if i would paint a car in this way again i would have to say no!! it is cheep, but you have to be soooo much more patient with it to see good results. but that might just be down to the color i chose having the tendency to show every little imperfection :D
but you live and learn :wub: and i have finally ended up with a very unique paint job :) good times

:genius: i dont like this paragraph ^_^
im soon to be painting mine and its going gloss black :genius: nice colour to show imperfections, especialy on my wavey dented mini...already knew my prep would take some time!

#48 ste88

ste88

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Local Club: LCMOC

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:05 PM

i've started painting mine now, can i ask how you used the foam brushes? i got a bag of them but im not sure if i'm supposed to use them like a paint brush or use them to dab the paint on?
cheers :thumbsup:

#49 Ju Boy!

Ju Boy!

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:28 PM

i've started painting mine now, can i ask how you used the foam brushes? i got a bag of them but im not sure if i'm supposed to use them like a paint brush or use them to dab the paint on?
cheers :thumbsup:

use them like paint brushes but make shore there not over loaded with paint because they hold a lot! and if you cache an edge with it you will get loads of runs! but i found if loaded right they give a much better finish the bristled brushes i did a tester panal e.g. the boot lid and tryed loads of difrent tequnqes and paint to thinner mixes first and tryed to work out what worked best. but just dive in and give it a go. thats all i did and my car turned out ok in the end after loads of :D

#50 ste88

ste88

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 01:42 PM

ok cheers! i used one yesterday but i think it had too much paint on because it left lines where i used it. its not an important area though, just round the rear quarterlight
i've got a good start on the rest now, did the whole back panel but it was a bit thick so i've left it for over a week, will probably do that last to make sure the paint is dried fully, painted 3 coats on the rear quarters, 3 on the bootlid and 1 on the drivers door. it would help if the weather would make its mind up :) if it looks like it might rain i just paint the bootlid or sand panels down. it's sunny today so i might try and get the other door done today!

did you find a way to get the marks out but keep the finish satin?

#51 Ju Boy!

Ju Boy!

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 04:06 PM

yeah i found that a very low gloss wax lightly aplyed worked wonders! well happy! :)

#52 ste88

ste88

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 04:29 PM

glad you got it sorted! looked great in the pictures you posted up! lovely looking car :D
i decided to have a go at my roof today instead of the door........i think i mixed the paint to about the right ratio. i've painted black onto white though so it looks awful now, a few more coats and it should look better though :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users