#136 camp freddy

camp freddy

Definitely Not Camp Or A Freddy

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,696 posts
  • Local Club: Wreake Mini Wanderers

Posted 14 September 2010 - 07:09 PM

Yep i remember great to speak with people who appreciate what weve done to the car

your car is bloody awesome, good job I always carry tissues with me :- ...

might enlarge my photo of the inside and put it in the bathroom LOL....

Edited by camp freddy, 14 September 2010 - 07:09 PM.

#137 camp freddy

camp freddy

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 07:13 PM

Yep was a great show
Probably the best ive been to this year
My only gripe would be the lare number of trailor queens
Cars are meant to be driven especially to and from shows

THANK YOU!

I understand the whole thing. But that Mini on its own stand and a mirrored floor made me embarrassed to own a mini.

dougiemc did you win anything? i still think you have one of the best customs out their?

Yep we got 2nd in the custom class which was good as anything is nice as a pat on the back for the 4 of us that built it as we didnt build it for shows it was just what we wanted to build it like we did

But car of the show for me was the turquoise blue 1380 with the red interior that was parked next to me
the couple just drove into the show to park in the carpark and the marshalls suggested they enter the show n shine
so the parked up
didnt have any cleaning gear etc etc but their car still looked mega

thats what this scene should be about

I put Ratty in a Modified / custom class at Melton last year, the chap looked at him and said 'what have you done
to it'??? . YOU WHAT !!!!!!!!!

#138 camp freddy

camp freddy

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 07:23 PM

I entered my 2000 mpi three years ago after i had owned it for a month, it had only done 7000 miles from new, it was my first time & really didnt know what to expect, i cleaned & polished it the day before & drove the 100 miles there, parked up & i gave it a quick wipe over, shook the mats & sat in a chair reading the newspaper. :-

I couldnt believe tha car that then came & parked next to me, They first took seat covers off & changed the carpet mats to ones that had never been used, Each wheel was then taken off & cleaned including pulling the grass from the tyre treads with a pair of tweezers & cleaned the dashboard screen vents with an artists paint brush :sneaky: They then continued to clean the car over & over again for the next three hours :o

I tried to make conversation with them but it seemed me & my car were not good enough for her, her husband did eventually speak & told me his wife only brought it out to shows in the summer to enter concourse & after Stanford it would be put away till may the next year . ;)

I still like to keep my mini clean & looking good but i wont be entering concource again ;D

The only good thing was she didnt win :P

love it LOL...

#139 MiniLuke

MiniLuke

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 07:37 PM

Yep i remember great to speak with people who appreciate what weve done to the car

DougieMc's car is very nice indeed, not my personal choice of mod, however I do appreciate the work involved and the great results achieved.

Mr Freddy, I keep seeing your fantastic looking car at lunch time near Thurmaston Maccy D's round about. Again not completely my cup of tea, but its great to see it flying round leicester. You might have seen me taking photos with my photo a week or so ago from my mate Audi??

#140 camp freddy

camp freddy

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 07:43 PM

DougieMc's car is very nice indeed, not my personal choice of mod, however I do appreciate the work involved and the great results achieved.

Mr Freddy, I keep seeing your fantastic looking car at lunch time near Thurmaston Maccy D's round about. Again not completely my cup of tea, but its great to see it flying round leicester. You might have seen me taking photos with my photo a week or so ago from my mate Audi??

think I can recall that, Nice that you appreciate it even though it's not to your own taste....

#141 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:25 PM

isnt this why working class was created for concours - those that actually use and drive their minis ?

Seamed slightly better than mitp a few weeks earlier, I even managed to get all the little fiddly bits for the Mayfair after digging through every oily/greasy box I could find, But it was a lot smaller turn out all round on last year.

It was slightly spoilt though by one epic anus for me though. Me sat in the 25 in the mini parking area, which I’ll admit the paintwork is very faded and battered.
But then it’s abused daily, without much care, if it was shiny and polished I probably wouldn’t want to use it.

Quietly minding my own eating some lunch and working out which bits id bought and which ones I haddent. When one cocky git and “mates” walking through the rows of minis, points the 25 and shouts “well that’s an mot away from the scrappers”.

It’s a ******* shame then that, dispute the faded crappy paint, it’s bloody solid (mostly original) and had only just passed its mot with NO advisories. (Same as the last 4 years)

And that’s after having to pull the engine out to replace the oil pump, crank/bearings and half the gearbox, so Stanford was its first proper run out, which it did without any problems. (just me paranoid about the bloody oil light)

I’m already in two minds what to do with the 25, but clearly if you need a really shiny mini with lots of chrome tat, covered in rust/holes and full of bodges, then I’ll not bother in future.

#142 Stjohns78

Stjohns78

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:53 PM

Well I broke down on the way (if anyone was driving down the A14 you would have spotted it sat in a layby about 2 miles from the M1/M6 roundabout). Engine totally overheated and had no water to top it up so thought I'd leave it there, go to the show with my mate in his mini, buy some water and fill it up after it had cooled down.

Cut to 3 hours later and leaving the show and my mate's mini starts to splutter - crawl back to his house, grab his Focus and back out to mine. Fill up the radiator, down to the M1/M6 roundabout, back up the hill and it overheats dramatically again within 2 miles!!! A few guys from the Mostly Harmess club stopped whilst I was waiting for my mate to get to the next jnuction and turn around to come back as I had confidently waved him passed 30 secs earlier - so big thanks to them even though not much they could do.

So if you drove back along the A14 I was the one with the mini in the verge, or afterwards being towed by a Focus!!!

Show was good though and I got a really good bargain on some carpet and boot lining kit - now gotta find out if the head gasket has gone or anything more expensive!

i saw you buddy, i felt rather bad because i wanted to stop but i was in the outside lane, i was in the matt black mini that beeped, i think i then also saw you when i was on my way back from the show you was still in the same lay by on the other side of the road to me, hope it isn't to bad. i recently had my head changed mine over heated after just a 2 minute trip on the motorway and then cut out and wouldn't start again. it only cost me £200 to have it replace and fitted which i thought wasn't too bad. good luck

callum

Cheers mate - I did feel very embarrassed sat by the side of the road but that's the joys of owning Mini's so I'm told. I did an engine change in it only 200 miles ago so I'm praying it's nothing to major - compression test this weekend cause I'm hoping it's just a blown head gasket. If not might put it away in the garage for a few months and build the funds to upgrade it to a 1380 (saw the Mini Mag featured Clubman of the guy from Crewe's Missiles at the show and that got me thinking!)
Although on Sunday night I was that pee'd off I was considering a bank loan and a Honda conversion!

#143 System

System

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:56 PM

Yep we got 2nd in the custom class which was good as anything is nice as a pat on the back for the 4 of us that built it as we didnt build it for shows it was just what we wanted to build it like we did

But car of the show for me was the turquoise blue 1380 with the red interior that was parked next to me
the couple just drove into the show to park in the carpark and the marshalls suggested they enter the show n shine
so the parked up
didnt have any cleaning gear etc etc but their car still looked mega

thats what this scene should be about

Ahh that will be John. met him for the first time at the show he lives just around the corner from me and only just managed to talk to him. WAs a good show has given me huge amounts of inspiration for my mini in the garage :-.

Agree with the trailer minis should be a new rule in concourse that the mini must arrive to the show under its own power and thats not just dropped off on a trailer half a mile from site!

#144 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 14 September 2010 - 11:02 PM

Quietly minding my own eating some lunch and working out which bits id bought and which ones I haddent. When one cocky git and “mates” walking through the rows of minis, points the 25 and shouts “well that’s an mot away from the scrappers”.

Not to worry, I'm sure if they had seen mine, they would have been calling for the tow truck immediately....

I think they should have an anti-concourse section, I'd have won it hands down... not many can say they still have grass in the wheels from where it's been sat on the garden for a year or more, and vertdigris all over it, paint peeling off and big rust patches on the roof... :-

It's the organic rat look ;D

#145 Ratbag

Ratbag

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:59 PM

I had a great day at the show, i'm probably throwing myself to the lions here but the car I went with was in the concours and yes it does have spare wheels and mats and stuff but it was driven from Sussex to the show through rain, a break down on the M25 and muddy roads to get to the show! The reason it has the mats and mirrors is that I spent all winter scrapping the underside off and painting it so it's lovely and shiney and we want people to see what's been done and show it off? The extra wheels and mats are really to save time so we can spend time chatting to people and enjoying the show, is that so bad? I'm a mini driver at heart and all my own cars have been/will be driven but some people have minis for other reasons, some just like to tinker and make it look as lovely as they can and hopefully inspire a few people? So what I'm saying I guess is horses for courses, just enjoy what you got and what you do! I must admit while at the show I was pretty sick with the nasty comments people were making about the car being too pampered etc but we all have our opinions but sometimes it would be nicer if they weren't said so loadly! 1984mini25 I'm sorry you had to hear that and I feel for you as I've had it so many times! I love all minis whether they're rotten heaps or shiney stars that don't get driven, there all gorgoeus to me :thumbsup: but thats just my opinion!

Edited by Ratbag, 15 September 2010 - 01:01 PM.

#146 Ratbag

Ratbag

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 01:08 PM

Oh and DougieMC, amazing mini! Met you at L2B and you were really nice, I was going to try and speak to you at this show but couldn't get near for all the onlookers! You should be really proud, its beautiful and very clever :thumbsup:

#147 miniman retford

miniman retford

Most Definitely Not Beer Powered....

• Members
  • 3,553 posts
  • Local Club: Lincs ford group

Posted 15 September 2010 - 01:25 PM

The extra wheels and mats are really to save time so we can spend time chatting to people and enjoying the show, is that so bad?

That was my point exactly ! she didnt even speak to me :thumbsup:

#148 DowntonMini

DowntonMini

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Local Club: Carry On Mini'in

Posted 15 September 2010 - 01:36 PM

I had a great day at the show, i'm probably throwing myself to the lions here but the car I went with was in the concours and yes it does have spare wheels and mats and stuff but it was driven from Sussex to the show through rain, a break down on the M25 and muddy roads to get to the show! The reason it has the mats and mirrors is that I spent all winter scrapping the underside off and painting it so it's lovely and shiney and we want people to see what's been done and show it off? The extra wheels and mats are really to save time so we can spend time chatting to people and enjoying the show, is that so bad? I'm a mini driver at heart and all my own cars have been/will be driven but some people have minis for other reasons, some just like to tinker and make it look as lovely as they can and hopefully inspire a few people? So what I'm saying I guess is horses for courses, just enjoy what you got and what you do! I must admit while at the show I was pretty sick with the nasty comments people were making about the car being too pampered etc but we all have our opinions but sometimes it would be nicer if they weren't said so loadly! 1984mini25 I'm sorry you had to hear that and I feel for you as I've had it so many times! I love all minis whether they're rotten heaps or shiney stars that don't get driven, there all gorgoeus to me :thumbsup: but thats just my opinion!

I have nothing against the concourse cars that are driven to shows in fact the owners have my upmost admeration. One thing I do have a problem with is my understadning of concourse (and I may be wrong on this so please accept my apolagise if I'm wrong) cars are meant to be as the left the factory so they wouldn'd have been shiney underneath etc I know that it's different in the custom and moddified classes as they aren't like they left the factory. One guy on the facebook group came up with the agrument that people have spent £1000's on their cars and don't want to damage them etc which to be honest is rubbish my Mini cost me over £15k to buy new but I still drive it and keep it looking right

#149 Ratbag

Ratbag

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 01:50 PM

I see your point but with the mini I work on the owner wants it how he wants it, it is standard apart from the stone chip, he likes it without, thats all its been done for, because he likes it? I guess its the same as choosing clear rear lenses or standard ones? As for preserving the car the cost bit doesn't bother me as much but having spent 3 months laying under the mini on axle stands scrapping, rubbing and painting (blinding myself with paint in the process lol) I would want it preserved purely so i don't have to go through it again!!!! Well until it rusts again! Its a real tricky subject as so many people have different ideas about it, really it is down to the clenliness of the car surely rather than what it looks like? How do you judge someting thats been modded beyond recognition to lets say a basic Mk3? Its impossible i'd say so for me its all about doing what you want to your car and getting it as clean as you can :thumbsup: but again thats just my opinion!

Edited by Ratbag, 15 September 2010 - 02:13 PM.

#150 MiniLuke

MiniLuke

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:40 PM

I see your point but with the mini I work on the owner wants it how he wants it, it is standard apart from the stone chip, he likes it without, thats all its been done for, because he likes it? I guess its the same as choosing clear rear lenses or standard ones? As for preserving the car the cost bit doesn't bother me as much but having spent 3 months laying under the mini on axle stands scrapping, rubbing and painting (blinding myself with paint in the process lol) I would want it preserved purely so i don't have to go through it again!!!! Well until it rusts again! Its a real tricky subject as so many people have different ideas about it, really it is down to the clenliness of the car surely rather than what it looks like? How do you judge someting thats been modded beyond recognition to lets say a basic Mk3? Its impossible i'd say so for me its all about doing what you want to your car and getting it as clean as you can :thumbsup: but again thats just my opinion!

You speak a lot of sense. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users