#106 MiniLuke

MiniLuke

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:00 PM

Yep and a we got there early doors
we seen there was alot more that you would think arriving not on there own steam
never mind the number in the concours that were swapping to show wheels and tyres
:)

Drive the blooming thing its a car not a mantle piece diecast

i appreciate museum pieces but leave them in a museum

Rant over sorry

I agree so much. I have entered the concours for the past two years, (and drive there), however I think the display museum cars arriving by trailer really do put people off entering the competition. I enter the 70-76 catagory and this year was the only one. After looking at Clappy's 1972 mini photos there really were scores of cars there easily good enough to enter and possibly beat mine!! ( maybe... :D ).

I also think the way the concours is scored needs to be expanded a little. In the original classes the guidance in the show brochure suggests you will be marked down heavily for having things like "chromed parts that were not originally chromed". This is really not the case. Most winners in most catagories have literally thrown money at their cars to acheive a totally perfect vehicle (albeit in no way original) on a grand stand which literally puts the competition out of reach of most. I think the original classes should have different scoring to the modified and custom classes. Don't get me wrong, I think all of the concours cars are awesome in their own right and are a result of many hours of hard work, but it should not be based on how much you spend on shiny bots ons, trailers, stands, plaques etc but the effort to meet the specification for each class the car in entered into. For example, a mk3 should receive more points for retaining a proper mk3 shell...............

Anyway, come on you mk3 owners, enter the concours, I would have loved to have had some competition.

GREAT DAY THOUGH!!!

Luke

#107 Dolly 89

Dolly 89

Previously known as suzzy 273

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
  • Local Club: Humberside moc

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:03 PM

Yep was a great show
Probably the best ive been to this year
My only gripe would be the lare number of trailor queens
Cars are meant to be driven especially to and from shows

THANK YOU!

I understand the whole thing. But that Mini on its own stand and a mirrored floor made me embarrassed to own a mini.

dougiemc did you win anything? i still think you have one of the best customs out their?

Yep we got 2nd in the custom class which was good as anything is nice as a pat on the back for the 4 of us that built it as we didnt build it for shows it was just what we wanted to build it like we did

But car of the show for me was the turquoise blue 1380 with the red interior that was parked next to me
the couple just drove into the show to park in the carpark and the marshalls suggested they enter the show n shine
so the parked up
didnt have any cleaning gear etc etc but their car still looked mega

thats what this scene should be about

ye they should make them do a planned run and then they have to just leave them not aloud to clean them or anything so you then know the cars are actually driven and they have a little bit of dust and dirt on them so everyone has a chance even the ones that drive to the show the proper cars. well said in your other posts it really annoys me people trailoring their car everywhere. p.s. i love you car spent a bit of time looking around it :D

#108 DowntonMini

DowntonMini

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Local Club: Carry On Mini'in

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:09 PM

Stanford Hall is the new MITP for me had a great time. For anyone who thinks cars should be drive you may like to join this facebook group (I know I'm probaly going to get abuse but hey I'm used to that)

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/gro...7493&ref=ts

#109 Skunkworkz

Skunkworkz

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:18 PM

Yep was a great show
Probably the best ive been to this year
My only gripe would be the lare number of trailor queens
Cars are meant to be driven especially to and from shows

seconded :D

me and dougiemc spent the first hour moaning about the amount of trailors and vans dropping off cars and self assembly display units to pick the car up off the floor.

we were told that dougiemc's mini was too low for the judges to look inside the arches to see how clean they were, ridiculous!!!

maybe their should be a catagory judged by the paying public?!?! this may get rid of the 'trophys for the boys' that seem to get handed out to the people with the biggest display they bring with them?!?!

#110 MiniLuke

MiniLuke

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:29 PM

Stanford Hall is the new MITP for me had a great time. For anyone who thinks cars should be drive you may like to join this facebook group (I know I'm probaly going to get abuse but hey I'm used to that)

I agree with your sentiment, however I don't agree with you trying to ban them being "polished within an inch of their lives". The concours should be open to all. And everyone can polish and make them look the best they can, i think that thats the point.

Not sure how these facebook groups achieve anything either??

We just need more people to enter the concours competition (or at least feel they could and are not excluded due to purely cost), however that happens I support.

#111 DowntonMini

DowntonMini

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:34 PM

I have been asked a number of times why I don't concourse my car the answer is simple I can not be bothered to keep taking the wheels off to clean it. It's also wax oiled which gets you marked down. ALthough my Mini isn't my everday car it is used in the last month I've probally done 1500 miles with a trip to MITP, a run to Wales with notts mini club, a trip to devon for the LGT then Minifest and stanford hall and it's been driven hard too :D

#112 DougieMc

DougieMc

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:34 PM

100% agree Luke

#113 Podman

Podman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Local Club: Snowdon Minis

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:40 PM

100% agree Luke

Awesome car DougieMc, having a good look at Stanford, well engineered etc.
I agree with yours and Lukes sentiments.

I'd love to enter one day, but by the time I'd driven from Wales, I couldn't be a***d if it was as far as Stanford for example

#114 DowntonMini

DowntonMini

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:44 PM

I agree with your sentiment, however I don't agree with you trying to ban them being "polished within an inch of their lives". The concours should be open to all. And everyone can polish and make them look the best they can, i think that thats the point.

We just need more people to enter the concours competition (or at least feel they could and are not excluded due to purely cost), however that happens I support.

Not trying to ban them form being polished to within an inch of their lives just trying to make it fairer for people who actually use their cars ( no matter what make) I just don't agree with them being trailered round and all fenced off so people can not see them properly. I have been lucky enough to win a few prizes with my cars all of them have been peoples choice awards

#115 MiniLuke

MiniLuke

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:47 PM

I have been asked a number of times why I don't concourse my car the answer is simple I can not be bothered to keep taking the wheels off to clean it. It's also wax oiled which gets you marked down. ALthough my Mini isn't my everday car it is used in the last month I've probally done 1500 miles with a trip to MITP, a run to Wales with notts mini club, a trip to devon for the LGT then Minifest and stanford hall and it's been driven hard too :D

I don't recall being marked down for using Waxoyl. Never had the backs of my wheels checked either.

I think that the Mini Owners Club should make the scoring sheet available to everyone to see. It's not too much of a chore to enter in fact, probably not much more effort than most make the day before in washing poilishing etc to simply attend. An you get a prime parking space... :)

#116 MiniLuke

MiniLuke

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:50 PM

Not trying to ban them form being polished to within an inch of their lives just trying to make it fairer for people who actually use their cars ( no matter what make) I just don't agree with them being trailered round and all fenced off so people can not see them properly. I have been lucky enough to win a few prizes with my cars all of them have been peoples choice awards

"Concours Cars should be driven not trailered everwhere. Cars are meant to be driven not parked on bits of alloy with Mirrors under them and polished to with in an inch of there lives"

From your facebook page....... to recap, agree with you trailer point, not the polishing bit.......

#117 DowntonMini

DowntonMini

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:52 PM

I don't recall being marked down for using Waxoyl. Never had the backs of my wheels checked either.

I think that the Mini Owners Club should make the scoring sheet available to everyone to see. It's not too much of a chore to enter in fact, probably not much more effort than most make the day before in washing poilishing etc to simply attend. An you get a prime parking space... :)

I have had experiance of concours 'proper' with my MKII one year at stanford hall when we had no clubstand I didn't get anywhere. Another time I was talked on to entering at Aston Hall there were 3 other cars in my class and I cam e 4th which I didn't mind about until I found out the car that came 3rd had household carpets in not proper tayliored ones I was in the standard MK1/2 class work that one out. In my opinon it not how good you car is most of the time its who you know. I know this isn't always the case but it always seems to be the same judges giving the same cars top spot

#118 MiniLuke

MiniLuke

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 01:08 PM

I have had experiance of concours 'proper' with my MKII one year at stanford hall when we had no clubstand I didn't get anywhere. Another time I was talked on to entering at Aston Hall there were 3 other cars in my class and I cam e 4th which I didn't mind about until I found out the car that came 3rd had household carpets in not proper tayliored ones I was in the standard MK1/2 class work that one out. In my opinon it not how good you car is most of the time its who you know. I know this isn't always the case but it always seems to be the same judges giving the same cars top spot

Agree, I must be difficult to judge though too. Clearly a proper carpet is better than a domestic shag pile, but it's whether this outweighs any other differences etc. I had a similar experience last year when I would put having original and proper bodyshell for its class quite high up in the order of importance, however the points scoring system does not seem to cater for this, just the paintwork condition, even though the show guidelines do suggest originality matters. Needs to be reviewed in my opinion as it is already seen as a "closed" contest.

I must say though, the display and clubs stands were absolutely cracking this year. It's these and the people that really make this show the best in my opinion. the time and organisation involved for so many people to take part is incredible.

The second hand parts in the trade areas seemed to be just as overpriced and scrap worthy as ever though. :)

#119 miniman retford

miniman retford

Most Definitely Not Beer Powered....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts
  • Local Club: Lincs ford group

Posted 14 September 2010 - 01:25 PM

I entered my 2000 mpi three years ago after i had owned it for a month, it had only done 7000 miles from new, it was my first time & really didnt know what to expect, i cleaned & polished it the day before & drove the 100 miles there, parked up & i gave it a quick wipe over, shook the mats & sat in a chair reading the newspaper. :D

I couldnt believe tha car that then came & parked next to me, They first took seat covers off & changed the carpet mats to ones that had never been used, Each wheel was then taken off & cleaned including pulling the grass from the tyre treads with a pair of tweezers & cleaned the dashboard screen vents with an artists paint brush :) They then continued to clean the car over & over again for the next three hours :o

I tried to make conversation with them but it seemed me & my car were not good enough for her, her husband did eventually speak & told me his wife only brought it out to shows in the summer to enter concourse & after Stanford it would be put away till may the next year . :)

I still like to keep my mini clean & looking good but i wont be entering concource again :)

The only good thing was she didnt win :)

Edited by miniman retford, 14 September 2010 - 02:09 PM.

#120 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 14 September 2010 - 01:46 PM

Yep and a we got there early doors
we seen there was alot more that you would think arriving not on there own steam
never mind the number in the concours that were swapping to show wheels and tyres
:)

Drive the blooming thing its a car not a mantle piece diecast

i appreciate museum pieces but leave them in a museum

Rant over sorry

I agree so much. I have entered the concours for the past two years, (and drive there), however I think the display museum cars arriving by trailer really do put people off entering the competition. I enter the 70-76 catagory and this year was the only one. After looking at Clappy's 1972 mini photos there really were scores of cars there easily good enough to enter and possibly beat mine!! ( maybe... :) ).

I also think the way the concours is scored needs to be expanded a little. In the original classes the guidance in the show brochure suggests you will be marked down heavily for having things like "chromed parts that were not originally chromed". This is really not the case. Most winners in most catagories have literally thrown money at their cars to acheive a totally perfect vehicle (albeit in no way original) on a grand stand which literally puts the competition out of reach of most. I think the original classes should have different scoring to the modified and custom classes. Don't get me wrong, I think all of the concours cars are awesome in their own right and are a result of many hours of hard work, but it should not be based on how much you spend on shiny bots ons, trailers, stands, plaques etc but the effort to meet the specification for each class the car in entered into. For example, a mk3 should receive more points for retaining a proper mk3 shell...............

Anyway, come on you mk3 owners, enter the concours, I would have loved to have had some competition.

GREAT DAY THOUGH!!!

Luke

there is one very specific concours car winning everything at the moment......it arrives in its own air conditioned 7.5 tonne truck ! I'd say that's a bit beyond the reach of most. :D

isnt this why working class was created for concours - those that actually use and drive their minis ?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users