#31 maph2

maph2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Local Club: Poor Boys Warwick

Posted 06 December 2005 - 03:37 PM

ideally, that what i would do - just buy the whole car and i don't really want to be bothered with ripping out the engine etc etc. also the other half will moan at having a wreck/vauxhall on the drive again. i think i'm gonna go down the kitcar route - there are a few companies that test the engine and guarantee it. if you spec what you want they take the whole lot out, put it on a pallet and ship it to you.

#32 MRA

MRA

Previously known as 'mra-minis.co.uk'.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,607 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 01:30 PM

im in the vauxhall scene and have never heard of a 'yellow top'. There were three forms of the redtop engine.

All I can say is that is what I have been told it is called ??

Correct me if I am wrong because I know little about these engines, but by the sound of it you are saying that it is a good engine ?? :grin:

The yellow "bit" being the plastic spark plug cover :thumbsup:

It's definately not a reddish shade of yellow ! it really is yellow !!

Sorry still not on ebay yet !! :sad:

#33 jameswildcooper

jameswildcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:12 PM

there is no such thing as a yellow top engine and he means the ecotec engine not yellow tops :thumbsup: ecotec engine have a yellow spark plug cover :smartass:

#34 MRA

MRA

• Banned
  • 7,607 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 12:31 AM

there is no such thing as a yellow top engine and he means the ecotec engine not yellow tops :thumbsup: ecotec engine have a yellow spark plug cover :smartass:

Ok - but it does look the same as the other engines that I have seen in Minis (all with red tops)

So any way is good or pants - is it worth doing anything with ? (constructive please - there are children about don't you know, :grin: :grin: )

Are the ecotec's reliable at staying reliable or are they reliable at staying unreliable ?!?!?!?!?

P.s. the red bit is identical to the yellow bit - technical or what...

#35 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 08 December 2005 - 01:18 AM

It is possible that it has been painted yellow, people tend to do this to match the colour of the car.

I think im right in saying that the best of the XE's to go for its the one with the coscast head(thats cosworth) as it is the least porous, please correct me if im wrong

#36 jameswildcooper

jameswildcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 09:00 PM

there is no such thing as a yellow top engine and he means the ecotec engine not yellow tops  :thumbsup:  ecotec engine have a yellow spark plug cover  :smartass:

Ok - but it does look the same as the other engines that I have seen in Minis (all with red tops)

So any way is good or pants - is it worth doing anything with ? (constructive please - there are children about don't you know, :grin: :grin: )

Are the ecotec's reliable at staying reliable or are they reliable at staying unreliable ?!?!?!?!?

P.s. the red bit is identical to the yellow bit - technical or what...

ecobtec are ok but prone to sensor problems, i personally wouldnt have one

#37 MRA

MRA

• Banned
  • 7,607 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 12:41 PM

I have just listed on eBay a RED TOP 2.0 L engine and box, also it has the uprights and shafts etc - NO ECU though - never came with one

its had 9 bids already !!!

I also have the red bit so you can keep it yellow or red - I am unsure as to which head is fitted anyone tell me how to tell ???

Thanks

oh the link is :w00t:

http://cgi.ebay.co.u.....AMESE:IT&rd=1

#38 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 12 December 2005 - 07:10 PM

I would deffo go for a donor car rather than just an engine if I was gonna do it. Go for a Cavalier GSi rather than an Astra GTE or GSi. Redtops were the general name for the 20XE weren't they? The 'yellow top' is used as a reference to the later Ecotec engines which didn't kick out as much power (IIRC).

I have seen a few Cavs go for sale for about the £200 mark in good mechanical condition but with knackered bodywork. If you get one with a reasonable interior you can sell the interior for about as much as you pay for the motor these days! It's just a case of finding the time and space to strip a Cavalier down really!

#39 Add_Gee

Add_Gee

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 01:10 PM

mra-minis.co.uk,

your engine is a redtop with the plug cover painted yellow, lol.

I dont think its the coscast head tho, cant quite make it out on the pic.

A coscast head is indeed the best to go for, perticularly an '89 one. but done worry if it hasnt got one :w00t:

#40 maph2

maph2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 08:34 PM

there's a vehicle dismantlers not far from warwick that has got a few circa 1990 cav gsi's and astra gte's. will get them to strip the front end out and deliver on a pallet.

#41 MRA

MRA

• Banned
  • 7,607 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 08:40 PM

mra-minis.co.uk,

your engine is a redtop with the plug cover painted yellow, lol.

I dont think its the coscast head tho, cant quite make it out on the pic.

A coscast head is indeed the best to go for, perticularly an '89 one. but done worry if it hasnt got one :w00t:

I have checked and the head has "GM" cast into it, I can't see anything that would look like a brand name other than the "GM" :sad:

Does that confirm your statement ? :grin:

#42 Add_Gee

Add_Gee

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 12:01 PM

coscast heads still have GM stamped on them.

heres some info on telling them apart

http://www.locostbui...ntification.htm

http://www.max-boost.....d dossier.htm

I can see what looks like the side core plug on yours meaning its not a coscast.

#43 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 19 December 2005 - 11:24 PM

im in the vauxhall scene and have never heard of a 'yellow top'. There were three forms of the redtop engine.

With dizzy and no cat - 156bhp (astra gtes)
With dizzy and cat - 150bhp (astras, cavs, calibras)
Without dizzy with cat - 150bhp (astras, cavs, calibras)(93/94)

Then after 94/95 came the ecotec engine with 136bhp.

I myself had a diss pack XE with just exhaust, filter and no cat which was 162.2bhp and 158.3 lb/ft torque.

They are great engines and really love to rev, if you are going for tbs and mega-squirt, stick in some ARP rod bolts and you will be not far off 190bhp

Not quite accurate I'm afraid.
The 2l 16valve xe engine is only 150bhp if it has a coscast head. If not then it's 130bhp like the ecotec engines. I also presume that he is refering to the ecotecs as 'yellow tops'.

#44 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 19 December 2005 - 11:27 PM

I must be tired because that's exactly what he's written isn't it? Doh!

#45 maph2

maph2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 09:02 AM

latest update is that rob from allspeed will have the subframe and kit ready for the end of january.

also contacted my local vehicle dismantlers - i'm looking at about £500 for a complete engine/driveshafts/loom/ecu/inlet/all ancillaries on a pallet.

they have got about 6 early 16vers in so i'm hoping there will be cocast head in there somewhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users