#16 stevede

stevede

As seen on TV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 23 October 2010 - 02:56 PM

I think daytime running lights are a stupid idea to be honest, the reason for having lights is so that you can see where you are going, and that people can see you in the dark , if people cant see you in the daytime regardless of whether or not you have lights on, theyre an idiot and shouldnt be driving.

The running lights do look nice on the right car though

You've obviously never ridden a motorcycle !

#17 samperks

samperks

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Local Club: looking

Posted 23 October 2010 - 03:12 PM

this looks soooo good i wanttttt!

#18 Carlzilla

Carlzilla

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts
  • Local Club: Splinters Mini Club

Posted 23 October 2010 - 03:49 PM

I think daytime running lights are a stupid idea to be honest, the reason for having lights is so that you can see where you are going, and that people can see you in the dark , if people cant see you in the daytime regardless of whether or not you have lights on, theyre an idiot and shouldnt be driving.

You've obviously never ridden a motorcycle !

I used to have a mini-moto when i was 7 if that counts :D

But seriously, im always aware of motorbikes around me. Heard of too many accidents to be driving without due care and attention. I always give them plenty of space too because i know all too well they like going up the side of people in traffic.

So there really is no need for 'fancy leds' on a car in the daytime.

#19 DAVEY_C

DAVEY_C

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Local Club: irish minis owner club

Posted 23 October 2010 - 04:03 PM

i always drive with my side lights on because on my local country roads their prity dark the best of times and it can make it difficult sometimes to see dark cars (nothing to do with the oul eyesight, lol).... when its too bright and the windscreen glares it can be difficult to see without shades.... to be honest i think it should be compulsary to use running lights.

roofless i would deffo go with them because they look class, a yay/nay poll might be the way to go but they get my big thumbs up...... :D

#20 Carlzilla

Carlzilla

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts
  • Local Club: Splinters Mini Club

Posted 23 October 2010 - 04:04 PM

i always drive with my side lights on because on my local country roads their prity dark the best of times and it can make it difficult sometimes to see dark cars (nothing to do with the oul eyesight, lol).... when its too bright and the windscreen glares it can be difficult to see without shades.... to be honest i think it should be compulsary to use running lights.

roofless i would deffo go with them because they look class, a yay/nay poll might be the way to go but they get my big thumbs up...... :D

Exactly, you have sidelights. If you need them, you turn them on. Which is why you dont need daytime running lights on permanently :xxx:

#21 Dolly 89

Dolly 89

Previously known as suzzy 273

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
  • Local Club: Humberside moc

Posted 23 October 2010 - 05:30 PM

Exactly, you have sidelights. If you need them, you turn them on. Which is why you dont need daytime running lights on permanently :xxx:

i would deffinitely agree with carlzilla here you have lights on a car for when it starts to get darker so you then turn them on if people dont see you in the daylight they shouldnt be driving because it is just dangerous and for the comment about bikes i too am always on the lookout for anything whilst driving cars bikes pedestrians pus bikes anything and so should everyone. people need to remember driving is a priviledge not a right so if people are not paying attention on the roads there licence should be taken away straight away

#22 samperks

samperks

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Local Club: looking

Posted 23 October 2010 - 05:38 PM

roofless is you made these id buy a set asap they look quality

#23 Dolly 89

Dolly 89

Previously known as suzzy 273

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
  • Local Club: Humberside moc

Posted 23 October 2010 - 05:39 PM

roofless is you made these id buy a set asap they look quality

same here i know i say they are pointless but do look amazing on the right car. if you arent going to make them how did you go about fixing the LED's into the light rim cheers

#24 stevede

stevede

As seen on TV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 23 October 2010 - 07:09 PM

i would deffinitely agree with carlzilla here you have lights on a car for when it starts to get darker so you then turn them on if people dont see you in the daylight they shouldnt be driving because it is just dangerous and for the comment about bikes i too am always on the lookout for anything whilst driving cars bikes pedestrians pus bikes anything and so should everyone. people need to remember driving is a priviledge not a right so if people are not paying attention on the roads there licence should be taken away straight away

My comment about the bikes was because you will find that 90% of bikers ride with their headlights on. Not to see, but to be seen. The rights or wrongs, or another drivers abilities mean squat when you are lying in the gutter half dead.

Anything that improves the visibility to other drivers has got to be a bonus and, to get back on topic, if they look good, as these do, then even better.

As for running lights on minis, a slightly different approach.................

Attached File  DSCN3672.JPG   743.28K   73 downloads

I had no problem with the MOT but couldn't comment on the legalities.

Regards

Steve

#25 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 07:45 PM

My comment about the bikes was because you will find that 90% of bikers ride with their headlights on. Not to see, but to be seen. The rights or wrongs, or another drivers abilities mean squat when you are lying in the gutter half dead.

DRL are becoming a European requirement, that's why more and more cars have them. Soon they will be compulsory. The thing is, people spot bikes, and cyclists, and other bright lights specifically because they are the only vehicles with lights on during the day. In almost all countries where DRL have become compulsory the change has brought about an increase in accidents involving bikes, because once all the vehicles have lights on there is nothing to pick out the vulnerable ones and make you notice them.

DRL have to be a specific brightness, using sidelights when you don't need them is not the same thing at all.

#26 union jack

union jack

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:00 PM

I was led to believe that your not allowed to have any front lights on during the day unless the vehicle was designed for them to be on. If conditions/weather dictate that lights need to be turned on during the day then a minimum of dipped headlights must be used! maybe worth a look lights law

Edited by union jack, 23 October 2010 - 08:40 PM.

#27 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:04 PM

On the right type of mini and if they were discreet enough not to be seen when not lit, then they would look pretty good. Personally I still prefer the led halo angle eye headlamps.

The only problem I have with some of the newer cars running them is they kind of remind me of a council house at charismas. What next? Compulsory under car leds to stop you ending up under the wheels?

#28 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:04 PM

If the lamps that are on are designed and E marked as DRL, you can have them on whether they are OE fitment or aftermarket. Any other lamps should not be on unless required by conditions as you rightly say. Making your own lamps up like this is not strictly legal, they would count as additional sidelights I believe rather than DRL.

#29 minicooperaniversary

minicooperaniversary

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Local Club: King's Lynn Mini Owners Club

Posted 23 October 2010 - 10:49 PM

Which is why you dont need daytime running lights on permanently ;)

Sorry, but that's not quite true.
Now I'm no expert myself, but according to Car Builder Solutions,

IVA rules state that Daytime Running Lights must come on with the ignition and turn of when the headlamps are turned on.

Which is why they sell this wiring kit which I'm thinking about buying.

However, those drilled innocenti headlamp surrounds look awesome :xxx: - probably way better than the idea that I was going to go for originally (ie have some of these), but apparently they just make the mini look scared. :D

Edited by minicooperaniversary, 24 October 2010 - 09:52 AM.

#30 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 05:51 AM

Yes, if you fit DRL they have to be on all the time, unless the headlamps are on (headlamps not sidelights). If the car was built with them then you must have them but there will not be a requirement to retrofit them to older cars.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users