#16 jay whiting

jay whiting

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Local Club: Gloucesters Mini-Rebels

Posted 24 November 2010 - 05:21 AM

Footman James HA HA yo are having a laugh. My car will be insred as a 1310 retro when complete, im 37 the car is garaged at night, is alarmed and the garage also has an alarm. CCTV is also fitted to the house covering the drive and garage. I have max no claims and always have fully comp insurance. They want £948.00 to insre it. Like ******* I insure my skyline which is moded to the hills and back, all mods declaired, the wife as a named driver, car is an import and only pay £321.00. Why the hell wold i pay almost a grand for a mini with less than 100 bhp, i think my normal company will be getting my business.

#17 Adcuz

Adcuz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:41 AM

You won't gain any no claims bonus either.. seems like not a problem now, but a few years down the line you may regret that.

#18 Sir Cheat

Sir Cheat

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 24 November 2010 - 11:33 AM

i was drving a standard 1275 at 17, now i am 18 and driving a mini turbo, footman james wouldnt insure me though :D

They wont insure my brother on a 1987 Pug 205 1.1GL its crazy... but rang up a month or so before that and got a quote on a 1985 Pug 205 1.3GL was £1100... Very annoying!

Edited by Sir Cheat, 24 November 2010 - 11:34 AM.

#19 Burnard

Burnard

4 gears good........... .......................5 gears Better

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 02:35 PM

i was drving a standard 1275 at 17, now i am 18 and driving a mini turbo, footman james wouldnt insure me though :D

oo, who you with?

#20 Jacko-lah

Jacko-lah

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Local Club: Derbyshire Classic Mini OC

Posted 24 November 2010 - 06:39 PM

I don't believe any of it.

Funny that I've just taken out a policy via footman, for a 43 year old man with one recent accident, (and a daily car), a 43 year old woman with an MX5 on a limit ed mileage , and a 17 year old.

When I asked about insuring the mini in my son's name (my wife thought I might like to give it him on his 18th FFS) I was looking at quotes of £2200.

Thank god for that !!! I get to keep MY mini.

#21 mikey72

mikey72

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 07:29 PM

Funny that I've just taken out a policy via footman, for a 43 year old man with one recent accident, (and a daily car), a 43 year old woman with an MX5 on a limit ed mileage , and a 17 year old.

When I asked about insuring the mini in my son's name (my wife thought I might like to give it him on his 18th FFS) I was looking at quotes of £2200.

You're the bloke paying more than my 17 year old daughter in her name if I remember?
You're also paying 4 times what I pay fully comp on a 1600cc kit car.

#22 mikey72

mikey72

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:57 PM

You won't gain any no claims bonus either.. seems like not a problem now, but a few years down the line you may regret that.

Footman James will give you a letter stating your history though. A lot of insuers will give an "introductory discount" about equal to the no claims if you are accident free.

#23 MiniAlex

MiniAlex

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  • Local Club: Mini's N Oatcakes

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:24 PM

I can get my insurance for £600, Third Party Fire & Theft with this company!!
But.. I couldn't insure it because my car wasn't quite 15 years old :P :thumbsup: Always next year to insure it though, it is a lot cheaper than what I pay now. £700 at the moment and I am 18, but my dad is on my insurance.

Next year when the car is 15 years old (it's a N reg, March 1996) ... I will insure it with this company as I might aswell get & build my no claims bonus up.

Edited by MiniAlex, 24 November 2010 - 10:25 PM.

#24 Jacko-lah

Jacko-lah

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Local Club: Derbyshire Classic Mini OC

Posted 25 November 2010 - 10:30 PM

You're the bloke paying more than my 17 year old daughter in her name if I remember?
You're also paying 4 times what I pay fully comp on a 1600cc kit car.

I may well be.

#25 mikey72

mikey72

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 11:49 PM

There's something odd somewhere.
There was another poster paying one or two hundred on his mini, seemed to be a similar age to me and you.
You're in a similar part of the world to me, I'd have though about £150 for you, unless the accident makes that much difference.

#26 retroracer1275

retroracer1275

Super Mini Mad

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 12:09 AM

im paying £518 TPF&T for a 998 mini, im 17 and passed my test early this month...

#27 The_Mistro

The_Mistro

Farmer Barley Mow

• Members
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 12:36 AM

you have to ask for classic policys! if you have somebody on the phone who doesnt know what there on about, possible in call centres, you have to state exactly what you want! Classic Insurance with limited milage! and if they say they cant, ask to speak to a supervisor!

#28 ap0llo_*

ap0llo_*

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 09:39 PM

But.. I couldn't insure it because my car wasn't quite 15 years old :D :( Always next year to insure it though, it is a lot cheaper than what I pay now. £700 at the moment and I am 18, but my dad is on my insurance.

Next year when the car is 15 years old (it's a N reg, March 1996) ... I will insure it with this company as I might aswell get & build my no claims bonus up.

Mines an N reg and they insured mine on a classic policy. I was 18 when I sorted the insurance, with a year and a half claim free driving, 0 ncb, TPFT added up to £780 on a Cooper SPI. I've now got 3 points on my license though - going 42 in a 30 - so I'm worried what my next quote will be... :S

#29 The_Mistro

The_Mistro

Farmer Barley Mow

• Members
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:42 PM

But.. I couldn't insure it because my car wasn't quite 15 years old :) :) Always next year to insure it though, it is a lot cheaper than what I pay now. £700 at the moment and I am 18, but my dad is on my insurance.

Mines an N reg and they insured mine on a classic policy. I was 18 when I sorted the insurance, with a year and a half claim free driving, 0 ncb, TPFT added up to £780 on a Cooper SPI. I've now got 3 points on my license though - going 42 in a 30 - so I'm worried what my next quote will be... :S

wouldnt of thought it would be too bad! i did 2 quotes when my mate got caught, only £20 difference then!

#30 tom3112

tom3112

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 01 December 2010 - 09:59 AM

I actually spoke to them in person and they knew exactly what i wanted, and atm i'm not too bothered about no claims as i am keeping my mini for a while and probably renewing with footman james.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users