377 replies to this topic

#91 blue blood

blue blood

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 09:32 PM

this might sound daft, what with the amount of titanium splashed all over your car..but have you try'd insuring it as a q plate?

think iv spoken to you before, but i have an fra shell i want to use, but im put off by the q plate status.

Well it is not registered yet. I will take it through an IVA once it is finished. Insurance will be steep i know but at the end of the day it will be like buying a brand new car! I am not put off having a Q plate at all. Thanks for the concerns though. Regards Blue

my insurance was fine on a Q plate.... and im a 21 yr old student.......

loving all your titanium parts! great build

Ed

Cheers Ted. Yeah i'm a 22year old student but will probably be a 23/4 year old bum when its finished haha.
Regards Blue

#92 nickhead

nickhead

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 09:37 PM

loving the thread blue! mega money spent on this from the looks of it.

good inspiration for mine tho!

#93 blue blood

blue blood

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 09:44 PM

loving the thread blue! mega money spent on this from the looks of it.

good inspiration for mine tho!

Yeah but it'll be all worth it in the end i haven't skimped as i intend to keep this so durability and longevity of parts is a big issue for me!
Glad you can draw some inspiration though.
Regards Blue

#94 Chris C

Chris C

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 05:47 AM

The parts spec on this build is very nice, there is no denying that. But what is the point of running a full titanium rear suspension setup and then pairing it with a drum setup? Even with the Minifins the drum assembly is heavy. I know a KAD disk setup is something like half the weight of a lightweight drum setup, and I'd be willing to bet Paul W's setup is lighter than that.

Not knocking your build by any means, but I found this somewhat puzzling.

#95 blue blood

blue blood

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:16 AM

The parts spec on this build is very nice, there is no denying that. But what is the point of running a full titanium rear suspension setup and then pairing it with a drum setup? Even with the Minifins the drum assembly is heavy. I know a KAD disk setup is something like half the weight of a lightweight drum setup, and I'd be willing to bet Paul W's setup is lighter than that.

Not knocking your build by any means, but I found this somewhat puzzling.

Ha ha yeah rear disc brakes are really for show to be honest and are quite pricey for what you receive. Due to having a minus and all the titanium on the back it will weigh nothing so i guess some weight will help with weight distribution! I have chosen all the titanium stuff so it won't rust and if i chose aluminium rear arms they would be eaten by road salt! Like i have said previously i have chosen my stuff for durability and longevity. I don't know maybe in the future when i upgrade my engine to a 2.0L vauxhall i may have a disk rear brake setup but that would make weight distribution and handling worse! It's something to ponder definitely.
Thanks for the comment though.
Regards Blue

#96 blue blood

blue blood

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:49 PM

In between doing my uni work today i managed to squeeze in getting my brake servo to fit. Now i bought this metro twin brake line as it actually fits under a minus bonnet with no modifications to the bonnet but it does need fettling. Now a while back i re welded a bolt into place but it was off and when i came to fit it actually worked to my advantage. Now because i can't weld any of the brake master or its plunger i have been mulling over what to do. The holes were to far apart so i filled them with metal putty and re-drilled some holes then i had to sand-out more on the stainless brake and clutch plate so the servo could slip through. Now due to not being allowed to weld a push rod on the plunger because it needs movement i came up with the idea of threading inside the hollowed out plunger and using a rose joint then making a steel connector from the brake pedal to the rose joint. It did take some thinking but this way everything is cold done so brake seals and stuff will not be compromised :P Here are the pictures so far for the brake cylinder in place and the clutch cylinder in place showing all the clearances are perfect ;)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Regards Blue

Edited by blue blood, 06 February 2011 - 06:52 PM.

#97 blue blood

blue blood

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 06:31 PM

Got my extended stainless steel drop bracket in the post today and it is amazing. Puts the flimsy crappy standard ones to shame and due to it being longer will give me a more comfortable driving position :thumbsup:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I also purchased an nautilus twin tone electric air horn that is road legal :trooper: I will be seen and heard!

Regards Blue

#98 blue blood

blue blood

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:07 AM

Got my Nautilus in the post to day and it is a bit of a beast especially in comparison to a standard MPI horn. It will definitely let other drivers know my whereabouts on the road :( (and thieves trying to steal my mini will definitely crap their pants :P).
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Regards Blue

#99 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,421 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:53 AM

My concern about using a rose joint is that you'd lower the pivot a fair bit which could have the pedal pushing the piston towards the front of the car as much as up the cylinder bore. Have an experiment, with a pushrod that swivels at both ends the force will be along the length of the rod.

-------------

Tinkering with cars is loads more fun than jigsaws :(

Possible solution 1:

Find a dome headed allen bolt that fits inside the piston to use as the pushrod (assuming it's sturdy enough - M6?). A domed nut on the end of some threaded rod is another option if you grind down the flats bit. A retainer could be an L shaped bracket attached to the side of the pedal box with a hole, large enough for the pushrod to move in but not large enough for a pin, or nut, on the rod to pass through.

solution 2:

Solidly bolt an L shaped bracket into the end of the piston to extend it below the pedal's attachment and make up a linkage to lift it: rather than push it. If you wanted to get really technical you could make a roller cam mechanism to improve the mechanical advantage.

#100 blue blood

blue blood

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 01:40 PM

I do understand a bit of where your coming from but i think i will stick with my solution as everything will be fixed so there will be no backwards or forwards motion. I will draw up a diagram if i have some time to show you what i mean, but theoretically it should work. Thanks for your concern ethel.
Regards blue

My concern about using a rose joint is that you'd lower the pivot a fair bit which could have the pedal pushing the piston towards the front of the car as much as up the cylinder bore. Have an experiment, with a pushrod that swivels at both ends the force will be along the length of the rod.

#101 Artful Dodger

Artful Dodger

" I AM THE SPECIAL ONE"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,435 posts
  • Local Club: aint no body got time fo dat

Posted 12 February 2011 - 03:19 PM

I love this! i dont blame you for not wanting to sell it! all them parts must be looking good on the body:) good luck with the rest of the build!

Harri,

#102 blue blood

blue blood

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 03:51 PM

I love this! i dont blame you for not wanting to sell it! all them parts must be looking good on the body:) good luck with the rest of the build!

Harri,

Cheers man i like to know there are people enjoying reading my build.
Regards Blue

#103 blue blood

blue blood

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 09:40 PM

Few more bits to add to the mass of things i'm collecting.

One of my favourite grill types (wish they made them in ABS though) cut the side bits on the behind out as they trap water and reduce air flow into the engine bay!. It will be shot blasted and powder coated satin black along with the front subframe and roll cage i have recently purchased from the 16VMF. The aluminium surround will be rubbed down and anodised in black.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Some glass lucas indicators:
Posted Image

And finally one of a pair of Corbeau retractable harness'. These items are a very good idea you get the look and feel of normal harness' but have the movement of a seatbelt (which can be turned off so it stays in harness mode). I had to have these shipped in from America (FEDEX are absolute extortionists). Product is nice though and you don't see many of them.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Regards Blue

#104 jonny f

jonny f

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts
  • Local Club: Boxhill Mini Club

Posted 27 February 2011 - 09:39 PM

Looking good Blue! Those harnesses look very nice not seen any like that before.

What seats are you going to use?

#105 blue blood

blue blood

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 09:44 PM

Looking good Blue! Those harnesses look very nice not seen any like that before.

What seats are you going to use?

OMP silverstone bucket seats theres a picture of them in my earlier posts :( Harness's are quite rare to see over here like i said i had to ship them in from the states the only other pair i've seen were owned by my brother :) Haven't been able to do much lately as my Final major project for uni has taken up all my time and energy :proud: but i will free up a little at the end of this week :) Regards Blue

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users