#76 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,438 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:26 AM

Have a test fit of your masters to your pedal box, the reservoirs can be a close squeeze. Sounds like you've already twigged the brake cylinder mounting will need a little thought - I'd be inclined to move the studs on the pedal box as there's a fair chance you'll need to rotate the clutch for clearance too. Though it wouldn't be hard to redrill the clutch cylinder to rotate the reservoir.

Also, don't weld on to the brake cylinder piston: it's hollow and should take a ball ended push rod, like the clutch, to allow for the movement of the pedal in an arc around the pivot. You will need to make a retainer to keep the pushrod in the piston though.

You'll also find that master gives you a harder pedal with not as much travel.

#77 blue blood

blue blood

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:51 AM

Have a test fit of your masters to your pedal box, the reservoirs can be a close squeeze. Sounds like you've already twigged the brake cylinder mounting will need a little thought - I'd be inclined to move the studs on the pedal box as there's a fair chance you'll need to rotate the clutch for clearance too. Though it wouldn't be hard to redrill the clutch cylinder to rotate the reservoir.

Also, don't weld on to the brake cylinder piston: it's hollow and should take a ball ended push rod, like the clutch, to allow for the movement of the pedal in an arc around the pivot. You will need to make a retainer to keep the pushrod in the piston though.

You'll also find that master gives you a harder pedal with not as much travel.

Thanks ethel. How would you suggest in me making a ball joint for the cylinder? Regards Blue

#78 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,438 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:00 PM

I'd get a pushrod off another cylinder, and modify it if needed - it's the bit that attaches to the pedal with the clevis pin. Scrapyard Rover 100 would be the the obvious place to look, or someone on here may have one kicking around in their junk box.

#79 blue blood

blue blood

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:52 PM

I'd get a pushrod off another cylinder, and modify it if needed - it's the bit that attaches to the pedal with the clevis pin. Scrapyard Rover 100 would be the the obvious place to look, or someone on here may have one kicking around in their junk box.

Any ideas how to keep the rod retained? Regards Blue

#80 blue blood

blue blood

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:34 PM

have had an idea because the end is hollow i will thread the internal then make an adaptor for a rose joint then a normal pivot on the brake pedal :withstupid:

#81 GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey

Has Ratchet, Will Make Noises

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:49 PM

Which bank have you robbed? Just so I don't hit the same one :withstupid:

Edited by GreaseMonkey, 01 February 2011 - 10:49 PM.

#82 mad mk1

mad mk1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • Local Club: TurboMinis.co.uk

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:51 PM

I will do the driving for you mate.

#83 blue blood

blue blood

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:56 PM

I will do the driving for you mate.

well it was in italy and i used several people and three cars but i can't tell you how it ended up ;)

#84 dougie1142

dougie1142

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • Local Club: I.M.O.G

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:22 PM

Just read it all, lovely build and lovely parts. How the hell can you afford this while at uni?! Unless you have saved up all your student loans and spending them at once haha!

Cheers

#85 houlsby

houlsby

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:45 PM

this might sound daft, what with the amount of titanium splashed all over your car..but have you try'd insuring it as a q plate?

think iv spoken to you before, but i have an fra shell i want to use, but im put off by the q plate status.

#86 blue blood

blue blood

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:50 PM

this might sound daft, what with the amount of titanium splashed all over your car..but have you try'd insuring it as a q plate?

think iv spoken to you before, but i have an fra shell i want to use, but im put off by the q plate status.

Well it is not registered yet. I will take it through an IVA once it is finished. Insurance will be steep i know but at the end of the day it will be like buying a brand new car! I am not put off having a Q plate at all. Thanks for the concerns though. Regards Blue

#87 blue blood

blue blood

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:52 PM

Just read it all, lovely build and lovely parts. How the hell can you afford this while at uni?! Unless you have saved up all your student loans and spending them at once haha!

Cheers

Thank-you for the comment. Its taken a hell of a lot of saving and being a hermit for several years but it is paying off. Unfortunately i don't have many friends that appreciate the things i have because they simply do not understand what they are :thumbsup: Regards Blue

#88 houlsby

houlsby

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:59 PM

that was my thinking regards insurance.

are you installing a roll cage? if so, are you taking the weight off the shell and linking up the fr/rear suspension? had a quick look at my shll, and it looks a little bit flexi (not slagging the shell, but it is f/g at the end of the day!) around the mounting points of the subframe.

sorry about the questions mate, the f/g shell i have hasnt been used and im thinking of stopping de rusting my steel shell thats all.

Edited by houlsby, 03 February 2011 - 11:02 PM.

#89 blue blood

blue blood

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:09 PM

that was my thinking regards insurance.

are you installing a roll cage? if so, are you taking the weight off the shell and linking up the fr/rear suspension? had a quick look at my shll, and it looks a little bit flexi (not slagging the shell, but it is f/g at the end of the day!) around the mounting points of the subframe.

sorry about the questions mate, the f/g shell i have hasnt been used and im thinking of stopping de rusting my shell thats all.

I'm not installing a roll cage as it will do more harm than good in a crash as the bars would be closer to the head maybe when i switch to a vauxhaull engine but i don't want one in when i have the MPI engine in! So no i'm not linking front and rear suspension up. However i am linking the rear turrets with a strut bar i am currently constructing. My shell seems rigid enough for me i mean there is no real flex or movement. It was built by the people who originally built minus cars back in the day and it will be a lot harder than newer produced minus shells as fibreglass takes years to properly cure. Regards Blue

#90 tedmcedd

tedmcedd

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 09:10 PM

Well it is not registered yet. I will take it through an IVA once it is finished. Insurance will be steep i know but at the end of the day it will be like buying a brand new car! I am not put off having a Q plate at all. Thanks for the concerns though. Regards Blue

my insurance was fine on a Q plate.... and im a 21 yr old student.......

loving all your titanium parts! great build

Ed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users