#167 skoughi

skoughi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts
  • Local Club: Shetland classic car club

Posted 18 April 2015 - 01:51 PM

Yeah I'd heard that they could be a handful but that must be relating to new ones, old ones like mine that have already been stretched and fitted are probably a lot easier. I had a wee problem getting it centered but once that was sorted it seemed to go ok, all the same I'm glad it's more or less done! Hopefully I'll get time this next week to pop in the front and rear screens to help keep it in place.

#168 skoughi

skoughi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 09:12 PM

So I've been splashing the cash this week! Pair of halogens, pair of tex mirrors and a new interior light from minispares and a new steering wheel from an ebay seller called alexandertech 2008. The wheel is a mountey copy, it isn't the best of quality and I've had to do a little work on it but for £35 delivered I can't really complain! It'll do the job perfectly until I get her on the road then I can buy a nice wooden one. I'm also getting a relay kit from David Wilson for the headlights to protect the wiring. All that's left to to finish the interior should be the drivers and rear seat from the upholsterer, saying that there'll probably be a few other unplanned purchases before that area is sorted!

Attached File  IMG_20150501_212940.jpg   149.29K   5 downloadsAttached File  IMG_20150501_213000 (1).jpg   155.49K   4 downloads

I've decided to repair one of my old dashboards instead of buying a new one, can't bring myself to part with £140 

!! Of the two I have the original rover one was the best, it's better made and is a better shape. The veneer was badly damaged in places, cracked and was lifting off the ply base due to water damage, so I lifted off any loose veneer and sanded it back to where it was firmly stuck to the base. I also filled a couple of switch holes that I won't need and sanded everything smooth. I'm going to get the same firm, Artmachine, that made my door stripes and boot badge to vinyl wrap the dash with a walnut effect vinyl. I was along their shop the other day and we found a pattern that looks no too bad so hopefully should get it done this next week. It's a cheap fix but it'll do the job until I can buy a brand new one, or not!

#169 skoughi

skoughi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 09:49 PM

Jeezo that's been a struggle!! Trying to get this bloody dash to a sate to go in the car then getting in has been some hassle! First time I couldn't see this car far enough I tell thee! Ok so it's been wrapped, which I'm kinda half happy with to be honest. It started as a cheap fix to get the dash sorted but the time I spent shaping the dash and getting it reasonably smooth then paying the guys to wrap it means I probably would've been better buying a new one. That would've probably been a pile of work too though. Anyway as I said it's all in and hopefully properly wired in (new volt gauge and a spare space for an AFR gauge as well). Heater is all plumbed in and the fan actually works too! 

Attached File  DSC_0001 (1).JPG   58.29K   8 downloads

I hope there is no need to remove it again, but there probably will!

I also got a headlight relay wiring kit from Wired by Wilson along with the volt gauge I bought from him so once this damn interior is sorted the I'll be getting that installed.

Attached File  IMG_20150521_221447.jpg   93.14K   5 downloads

Edited by skoughi, 21 May 2015 - 09:49 PM.

#170 skoughi

skoughi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 10:29 PM

No pics just now I'm afraid, just sometimes you wonder why you spend so much time on these bloody things and the finish line seems to get further and further away. Little bit scunnered that's all.

#171 skoughi

skoughi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 10:11 PM

So I thought I'd better do an update, even though it seems like I've not been doing much of late. Spending a lot of time doing jobs on the house that have been forgotten about somewhat! Mostly I seem to have been finishing off wee jobs and sorting out odds and sods. I'm waiting on the rear seat cushions and drivers seat cover to come back from the upholsterer and finish a few things in the interior and that area should be good enough for getting her back on the road, been painting the rear seatbelt webbing tonight to a nice shade of black! Also working my way through jobs in the engine bay as well. I didn't like all the pre insulated wiring terminals I'd fitted so I bought an uninsulated wiring terminal kit and set about changing them all! Happier with the end job as all the new terminals are nice and secure and a lot neater, here's the fusebox looking a bit better;

Attached File  11219330_1053824767980991_4276463965842152382_n.jpg   34.36K   13 downloads

The pipe that feeds the heater was next. The way the flexible hose that runs along the inside of the front wing and joins onto the scoop in the engine bay seems to me a total frig! I hated the way it was a big struggle getting it all to fit, so I figured a solid 90 degree bend was what was needed. I had a search about the garage and ended up using a Marley 90 drain pipe bend! The flexible pipe and the scoop more or less fitted neatly into this bend and it did away with the hassle of getting everything in place.

Attached File  10995401_1053827504647384_7844154189670973591_n.jpg   71.25K   4 downloadsAttached File  11222479_1053828057980662_2807489332019104305_n.jpg   24.26K   7 downloads

The scoop is held in place with a couple of s/steel screws going through the Marley bend and the scoop. Being a Shetlander and living on a rock in the middle of the north sea we have to sometimes make do with what we find so I make no apologies for this botch up, it works and that's good enough for me! Once this was done I could fit the radiator and fan and then trim the scoop a little to fit around the fan housing.

Attached File  11665405_1053827357980732_489663292626701001_n.jpg   37.78K   11 downloadsAttached File  11667391_1053827651314036_7176643035523418573_n.jpg   31.23K   12 downloads

All done on that wee job for now, I've done a few other things and will take some more pics so I can update more stuff. Rubbed down the front grill and I'm trying a different paint style option with black and some old chrome paint I found, if it doesn't look right then I'll do it the same as the factory style.  

#172 skoughi

skoughi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 07:50 PM

Got some paint on my grill and got a mate to bend a length of stainless to replace the mild steel angle that runs along the top of the grill. I painted it so I ended up with a little more silver than black, happy enough with the end result but might end up redoing it because of little scratches that have ended up on it and a few of the edges between the black and silver are a bit smudged.

Attached File  P1010369.jpg   351.65K   14 downloadsAttached File  P1010371.jpg   338.59K   12 downloads

The front edge of the bonnet in the middle is a little high so I will have to do a fair bit of bending to take it down a little also hoping once the bonnet catch is fitted that'll hopefully pull it down a bit as well. Hinges and bonnet pins to fit this next week maybe! Also managed to get a door bolted on today as well, catch and lock fitted and with a little bending on the window frame is all looking no too bad. However the paint has shrunk a fair bit since she was painted at xmas so she will defo be getting flatted back and have a good polish!

#173 skoughi

skoughi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:08 PM

Ok so i'm gonna do an update but I've run out of photo upload so for any pics I'm gonna post links to my photos on google cloud. Bit of a pain but that's life I guess!

So I got my seat cover for the drivers seat and the covered rear seats back from the lassie that was sorting them. I pulled the cover back over the foam on the drivers seat without covering the foam in cling film as I couldn't be bothered to go to the kitchen to pinch some. It went on ok but there ended up being a few wrinkles as the leather probably was wanting to grip the foam, anyway it's on now and it's fine!

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

Edited by skoughi, 31 July 2015 - 10:20 PM.

#174 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 07:15 PM

Edited by GraemeC, 01 August 2015 - 07:16 PM.

#175 skoughi

skoughi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 08:57 PM

Happy chap tonight! Been sorting a few odds and sods lately including getting the brakes finally bled. I had to bite the bullet and replace the brake limiter thingy on the front bulkhead as we couldn't get any fluid of any kind to the rear. Also I popped a seal on the front calliper due to a few bits of crap in the system tearing on of the seals. Once all that was sorted we got a good pedal and no leaks! Last night was spent spraying waxoyl underneath, and everywhere else including me! So tonight I stuck on the wheels and pushed her out! Was a great feeling seeing her back on her wheels and sitting outside. Was also good giving the garage a good clean!

So I'm going to sort a few more wiring issues and such like then it's down to studying a copy of David Vizards mini engine guide book when it arrives and getting stuck into the engine!

#176 jagman.2003

jagman.2003

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts
  • Local Club: Owner of my own club of Minis

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:34 AM

Looking good.

#177 skoughi

skoughi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 04:27 PM

Cheers! Its given me a wee bit more enthusiasm getting her back on her wheels!

#178 skoughi

skoughi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 10:04 PM

http://1drv.ms/1MsVgdK

Nice wee box of bits arrived for the engine this week! Rebuild has started, steep learning curve!!

#179 skoughi

skoughi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 11:18 PM

The engine is finally back in! Lots of joining things back up to follow over the next month or so!

Attached File  10636757_1203908442972622_1133255377884323539_o.jpg   76.14K   10 downloads

#180 skoughi

skoughi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 08:03 PM

So I got on with connecting a few things up today, engine mounts, gear lever linkage which showed if the bend I put in the gear lever was enough to reach the knob when the seat was in a comfy position and it was, torqued up hubs, installed dizzy drive which took a few goes but got there in the end. Also then fitted the dizzy and radiator to see what the clearance was like and amazingly everything was good! I could probably have found a more slimline fan but hoped this one was good enough, and it is! So all in all a good day. A few more jobs that I can do tomorrow like a little wiring things, find out how to wire the fan to make it a "suck" one, fit the oil filter housing and if I get bored working in the engine bay then I have some new seat belts to do as well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users